1977 XS650 Build

No auto-on headlight on the '77. You must work it with the on-off switch on the right handlebar switch assembly. If you're wondering if the headlight even works, you can try it with just the key turned on, motor not running. I wouldn't leave it on while trying to start the bike though. It's robbing battery power when it's on.

Yes, try kick starting the bike. These kick start easier (if everything's set right) than they electric start. The battery isn't real big so doesn't have a large reserve capacity. Continuous electric start cranking will run it down pretty fast.

You mentioned cleaning the carbs but did you check/ensure that the choke feed jets were clear? If they're plugged, the chokes won't work and the bike will be very difficult to start cold, even on a warm day. These bikes like that shot of rich mix when cold starting, even on warm days. Here's how to check the choke jets .....

ChokeJet2.jpg

Thanks Vtwin, I will be taking the carbs off, again, and will check that. I don't remember seeing that hole the last time I had the carbs apart.
I did re-install the battery but when I turn on the ignition I get nothing. The last time I had the battery in the neutral light came on but this time it does not. I checked the tranny for neutral and it appears to be in neutral because I can roll the bike back and forth. Any ideas??

Here a couple of pictures of my 1977. Still can't get it started after I charged the battery and replaced the glass fuse. I found a couple of mechanics who specialize in XS650's and probably let one of them get it going. Have mag wheels at the powdercoaters getting done in gloss black. When they are completed I will get new tires.
IMG_1285_zpsytlhqdbf.jpg

IMG_1292_zpsxvkccbxs.jpg

This is when I got the bike:

5ba113f1-d25e-4201-8183-ae795b232ab2_zpsvcslfjr2.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my mags back from the powdercoaters, can I reuse the bearings and seals that were in the wheel or should they be replaced? The parts seem to be in good condition except for a metal ring that had rust. I can remove the rust and reuse that part.

Last edited:
The bearings and seals need to be replaced, The other parts can be cleaned up and reused. A bearing and seal kit is only around 20.00

Or, you can just buy a couple 6303-2RS bearings locally. It's just a common metric bearing. You can re-use your grease/dust seals if you didn't damage them during removal (which it looks like you didn't).

I looked at wheel bearing replacements and they aren't expensive. Will replace the bearings and seals. I appreciate the feedback. Now have to figure out how to put it back together since I didn't remove them.

I looked at wheel bearing replacements and they aren't expensive. Will replace the bearings and seals. I appreciate the feedback. Now have to figure out how to put it back together since I didn't remove them.

Hi zero,
in a word, carefully.
Putting the bearings in the freezer for a few hours will shrink them a little so they'll go on a bit easier.
Do NOT push or tap on the inner race to install. Only push on the outer race.
Best is to make an installation tool that fits through the bearing's bore and pushes on it's outer race.
Tap the tool with a hammer or mallet to set the bearing down into it's recess.

Here is an update to my build:
I haven't posted since June because I was at a stand still until I could find a local mechanic who worked on vintage bikes. I found one close by but had to wait until July 11th for an appointment. I chose that route because I could not troubleshoot the issue to get it started. I got the XS back yesterday and she runs great. He found that when I put the wiring back into the headlamp, I put a ground cable in a hot wire, duh…. The turn signals did not work because of a pinched wire in the left switch housing. He got it started and sync'd the carbs. I wanted it inspected so I had the shop purchase two tires and install them on a set of powder coated 1981 mags, he added a mirror, and put the seat strap back on since I have passenger pegs. This is just the first phase of my build and I am going to paint the side covers and fuel tank with a gold and black scalloped design. I have a small bump seat and will look to add that with some modifications. All in all, I am happy with where I am at and will be putting on miles between now and the time I will start the paint. Hope you like it….
IMG_0023_zpsqoai5pc5.jpg

IMG_0024_zpsypz4sgis.jpg

IMG_0025_zpsswxuy4qu.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsuiehdxo6.jpg

IMG_0028_zpska2yfp3b.jpg

IMG_0029_zpspyuokkym.jpg

Nice looking bike. Keep an eye on your muffler mounts though. One strap to one bolt head in the sliding track on an aftermarket muffler doesn't last long on these vibrating 650s, lol.

When I finally got my ride on the road, the bike was smoking and blowing oil out of the exhaust. Had the top end taken apart and replaced with the MikesXS top end kit. Had been riding it the last couple of weeks and she runs great. Front end has a lot of dive when braking hard and will decide to replace fork oil. Here is the latest pictures. I am working on a 1981 XS650 and am stripping the tank to paint. I've decided to take that tank and put a scalloped paint job like the side covers and have a friend who made me the Yamaha logo of the current tank that I will apply. The black tank will be used on the 1981 build. Its funny, when I park the bike I've had several comments by people who "like my triumph" and even had someone comment on my "Norton". She is going to be a daily rider around town and to work.

1977%20Yamaha%20Roadster-2_zpsi9lotcde.jpg

1977%20Yamaha%20Roadster-3_zpsxezjfsxt.jpg

1977%20Yamaha%20Roadster-4_zps63gxieg3.jpg

1977%20Yamaha%20Roadster-5_zpsrctwgi9o.jpg

Your machine looks good, I have been wondering what a silver frame would look like, I think it may add lightness to the appearance of the finished product.

Your machine looks good, I have been wondering what a silver frame would look like, I think it may add lightness to the appearance of the finished product.
Hi lakeview,
nah, that bike looks WAY better than "good".
And while a silver frame does "add lightness" I'd say that particular bike's frame would be better done in dusty gold to match the forks, rims, covers etc.
Which as it's very reminiscent of the colour BSA painted their 650cc Vertical Twin Gold Flash would further confuse those who mistook the bike for a Triumph or a Norton. Especially if the logo artist added BSA's little wing to the logo's capital Y.
And zero, think about swapping in a Standard gas tank. It'll drop straight on and if you ever decide to take that bike on a long trip it's extra gallon of gas may come in handy.

Last edited:
When I purchased the bike I inherited it with the gray/silver frame. I am use to see them in black and I agree with Lakeview, it does add "lightness" to the look and also gives the black parts more depth so that the twin opposed cylinders become a focal point and do give it the triumph look.

Back