1977 XS650 Pet Cock is not being a good Pet

Yamaha77

Banned
Reaction score
So , I pulled out my my 77 yamaha xs650 :pictured below, after not riding it for a few weeks (I have other bikes). I noticed every time i turn on the right petcock. i get gas on my hands. I assume I have a leaking petcock? Im fairly new to bikes, though I have acquired a few in a short time, and am wondering, do I just go to MikesXS and buy a new petcock? And whats involved in swapping it out on the right side?

Thanks!

IMG_2150.JPG

You may not need a complete new petcock, just some replacement parts. There is a rubber disc in there behind the arm that it seals against. That's the usual suspect. If you get lucky, sometimes you can just flip the disc over, facing the unused unworn back side out, and it will seal again. This part is still available from Yamaha and I recommend you get it there. The MikesXS rubber stuff has a poor reputation.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1977/XS650D/FUEL TANK XS650D/parts.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-137-24523-00-00.html

You may not need a complete new petcock, just some replacement parts. There is a rubber disc in there behind the arm that it seals against. That's the usual suspect. If you get lucky, sometimes you can just flip the disc over, facing the unused unworn back side out, and it will seal again. This part is still available from Yamaha and I recommend you get it there. The MikesXS rubber stuff has a poor reputation.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1977/XS650D/FUEL TANK XS650D/parts.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-137-24523-00-00.html

Ive heard I can run just one petcock in the meantime?

Well yes, but trying to fix the issue by flipping the rubber disc is simple. You will need to drain the tank or gas will gush out when you take the lever out. Or, you could run the tank very low, until you hit reserve, then lean the bike over some. Too much gas shouldn't come out then.

Also, if you are going to replace them make sure you measure the distance of the two holes where the petcock mounts to tank so you don't order the incorrect ones. It's pretty simple. Drain gas out of the tank, unscrew old pets, replace with new. I believe MikesXS only sells the non-vacuum type now. So you will need to put a rubber nipple on your vacuum barbs on your carb boots once you swap with the replacements. I think :)

I have one brand new petcock for a 1978 (not sure if it will fit 1977) I could sell you for $40.00 if you are interested.

'77 was the last year of the factory manual petcock. '78 introduced the vacuum petcocks and the mounting hole spacing differed as well. '78 and newer petcocks won't fit '77 and older tanks.

Also, if you are going to replace them make sure you measure the distance of the two holes where the petcock mounts to tank so you don't order the incorrect ones. It's pretty simple. Drain gas out of the tank, unscrew old pets, replace with new. I believe MikesXS only sells the non-vacuum type now. So you will need to put a rubber nipple on your vacuum barbs on your carb boots once you swap with the replacements. I think :)

I dont think 77's came with vaccuum. Im pretty sure they are manual

Pretty simple to fix those petcocks as it's been stated...but if you don't want to do it until you're low on gas/drain the tank, then just keep it in the off position and only use the other side's petcock for now. (Unless it's leaking regardless of what position it's in...then you should attempt the fix, replace, or remove and block off the hole).

I keep several rinsed clean one gallon milk jugs in the garage just for stuff like this.

I keep several rinsed clean one gallon milk jugs in the garage just for stuff like this.

I noticed its leaking right behind the lever. Im just going to get a new one. But I have a silly question. How do you identify "left hand" and right hand on a bike for the petcock? By the power of my own reasoning I figured the side that is my right hand (brake side) when im sitting on the bike is LEFT for petcock. Is that right?

Sitting on the bike. Right hand side is the right....................left hand side is the left...............Everything you can see in your pic is the right, Right side-cover, right fork, right caliper, right side-cover, right carb, right engine side-case, right header, right indicator, right headlight fork bracket, right handle bar grip.................so no, your right hand, (brake side) is not a LEFT petcock but RIGHT petcock

Sitting on the bike. Right hand side is the right....................left hand side is the left...............Everything you can see in your pic is the right, Right side-cover, right fork, right caliper, right side-cover, right carb, right engine side-case, right header, right indicator, right headlight fork bracket, right handle bar grip.................so no, your right hand, (brake side) is not a LEFT petcock but RIGHT petcock

Thanks. Its a simple and kind act to provide someone with an answer. These days ppl like to lord over one-another and use the ignorance of others to their advantage. Ironically, this question I asked allowed me insight into the true character of some friends I recently made. I've now cut them off. Sorry to get philosophical, but thanks again.

Last edited:
It's a simple and kind act to ask advice and then apply it. You don't do that. You ask, get the advice, then just replace the whole assembly. But really, admit it, you do none of this, you take this advice to some guy and pay him to do it. We were warned about you when you first signed on to this site. I didn't want to take that warning as fact at first but now I know it's true. You prove it, drive their points home, with every thread you start. You are not the kind of owner an old bike needs or deserves. Buy a new bike. Buy a fucking new Honda please. I will not be offering you anymore advice, it just falls on deaf ears.

11.03 AM.
Im just going to get a new one. But I have a silly question. How do you identify "left hand" and right hand on a bike for the petcock? By the power of my own reasoning I figured the side that is my right hand (brake side) when im sitting on the bike is LEFT for petcock. Is that right?

11.30 AM

11.55 AM
12.50 AM
Its a simple and kind act to provide someone with an answer. These days ppl like to lord over one-another and use the ignorance of others to their advantage. Ironically, this question I asked allowed me insight into the true character of some friends I recently made. I've now cut them off. Sorry to get philosophical, but thanks again.

You done well. You have managed to order, and receive a petcock from MikesXS, install it and wash the bike and post the results all within 24 Hours. Must be a first for MikesXS ..............Don't see the new petcock in your pic or hasn't it been updated.

Just making sure all the bases were covered for future reference when i posted about which side is considered left and right. I assume your answer was directed at me or were you taking about me in the third person while taking to me.

To be honest your full of it, nothing you say can be taken at face value.

11.03 AM.

11.30 AM

11.55 AM
12.50 AM

You done well. You have managed to order, and receive a petcock from MikesXS, install it and wash the bike and post the results all within 24 Hours. Must be a first for MikesXS ..............Don't see the new petcock in your pic or hasn't it been updated.

Just making sure all the bases were covered for future reference when i posted about which side is considered left and right. I assume your answer was directed at me or were you taking about me in the third person while taking to me.

To be honest your full of it, nothing you say can be taken at face value.

OK I have a suggestion. I dont know what kind of hang up you have, or if you even have any hangups, but you continually seek to pick fights with me. Im not going to fight with you, ever, and will not respond beyond this: i have a good, fulfilled, happy life. I am very busy and I dont hang out in internet forums looking to argue with ppl. If you give advice and ppl dont take it, dont get upset and seek to vent your anger by impugning other ppls character, just move on to the next topic instead of calling names and behaving like you are NOT an adult. . Im no longer interested at all, in any thing that you may have to say. Its quite simple: ignore my posts. Now have a nice day and all the best.

Last edited:
With any manual petcock there should be printing on it showing "on", "off", and "reserve".
So, it matters not (if one can read) left or right. Either-or will work wherever.

Im not sure youve understood the dynamic or the intent/question in this post. It was never a question of the petcock positioning, which is quite clear:. This post was made the address the issue of a leaking petcock in need of replacement.

I don't know what your issue is, 77, but I suspect you're just one more attention seeking passive aggressive twit. You ask for help, you disregard the advice you asked for, then you get defensive when folks point out your behavior. 5twins warned you about repop parts, and the new petcock assembly you've bought contains trash Chinese rubber that will need replacement very quickly. Maybe at that point you'll take the good advice you were given and replace the rubber disk (it's called a "whizzer valve" in the trade) with an OE part from Yamaha. Or maybe you're a troll who's just writing this stuff to agitate? Anyway, you won't be getting responses from me either.

You should listen to these gents 77. A majority of them helped me out and got my 3 XSs' back on the road and running stronger than ever. Where it might seem buying new is a great idea, a lot of the "new" parts are crap and I refuse to buy them after spending a decent amount of money to learn quickly they were crap :)

Back