1977 XS650 Pet Cock is not being a good Pet

Now your thanking me.....................??...................Is this how you ignore people..............................Crawl back under your rock.

just for you............................
I URGE you to get out a bit more and stop paying attention to things so trivial. Like seriously! lol. Youre a grown man lmao! think about it.

Yes indeedy, Skull; I noticed that rookie move, but figured he'd shown his ass clearly enough to need no pointing at the fact that there's not a hair on it.

77, your comment about the nature of the internet shows that you don't understand the nature of this site. Quite a few of us have ridden together and seen each others' work first hand. Weekendrider, jetmechmarty, desmoman, and I were all at the Yamaha 650 Society Great Smoky Mountain Rendezvous last week and have shared the road on other occasions as well; we're not just faceless board handles. Bottom line: there's not much room for your kind of bluff and guff here.

I was just wondering how long it would take for a $1500 bike to become a $500 bike.
You really don't want to play the "I gotta" game with me young son. Or the let's compare mileage game.
I commute 350+ miles a week. But that isn't riding, that is commuting. Riding is getting to go where you want, when when you want. No strings, no pressure just the pure joy of a running machine, my ass on the seat and wind in my face. That happens mainly on weekends, but I've been known to be gone longer than a weekend at times.
I'm to old and cranky for any life lessons from you. Your entertainment factor is fading. . .fast.

I was just wondering how long it would take for a $1500 bike to become a $500 bike.
You really don't want to play the "I gotta" game with me young son. Or the let's compare mileage game.
I commute 350+ miles a week. But that isn't riding, that is commuting. Riding is getting to go where you want, when when you want. No strings, no pressure just the pure joy of a running machine, my ass on the seat and wind in my face. That happens mainly on weekends, but I've been known to be gone longer than a weekend at times.
I'm to old and cranky for any life lessons from you. Your entertainment factor is fading. . .fast.

This post itself is full of contradictions. However, out of respect for my elders, I wont comment further but to say have a nice day.

This post itself is full of contradictions. Out of respect for my elders, I will go through my posts and take a hard look at my self and do some personal development.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention I wont comment further but to say have a nice day.

Here's where I'm at, it takes dollars and cents but mostly SENSE to keep these old stone ax bikes going. Saving the old parts is what the SENSE is all about. The OP was advised to simply turn a rubber part around inside the petcock, super easy job and a good fix and great advice. He was also advised to fix it with a $4 part versus about $75 for an OEM replacement. That saved original OEM part was the best advice that anyone could give him, anything less just does not make SENSE, especially any aftermarket part, that was all explained.

All of this great advice took time, effort and experience to provide. I don't blame anyone here for thinking that this guy is a complete waste of time.

Scott

Here's where I'm at, it takes dollars and cents but mostly SENSE to keep these old stone ax bikes going. Saving the old parts is what the SENSE is all about. The OP was advised to simply turn a rubber part around inside the petcock, super easy job and a good fix and great advice. He was also advised to fix it with a $4 part versus about $75 for an OEM replacement. That saved original OEM part was the best advice that anyone could give him, anything less just does not make SENSE, especially any aftermarket part, that was all explained.

All of this great advice took time, effort and experience to provide. I don't blame anyone here for thinking that this guy is a complete waste of time.

Scott

This is the last thing im going to say. What has happened to the American Male? Why are ppl even responding if they feel its a waste of time. In the days of my father and in the days of his father, men would have IGNORED what they felt is a waste of time, not boo hoo and belly ache. Youve got more ppl in this post moaning than simply moving on.

I DO NOT use refurbished stuff. Its a habit I developed when my dad and i built old cars for fun. He would say "never rebuild an alternator or (insert item), buy it new." And thats what I did. I listened to the voice that was INGRAINED in me since I was a kid. As a result, youve got a bunch of grown men bitching like women at a cake bake off because I did it they way i was taught. and btw the part I got is NOS and cost no where near $74.

Last edited:
We all come from different school's of thought:

I grew up with my grandfather, who survived the great depression, survived WWII, and became a Boeing Test Pilot retiring with a butt load of experiences and a common sense that life's lesson's taught him. What he taught me, and what I default to is to, is always attempt to rebuild it, restore it, reuse it...and when that doesn't work, buy a new one...or aftermarket when it's no longer available. It's a sound principle that helps keep costs down (sometimes), teaches you how things work/ grows your knowledge base and down the road, you're not as reliant on anyone else when shit breaks. I learn more and more every time I take something apart, even a simple petcock. To each his own...and there's something to be said to support those vendors that provide us with our rare parts...

Fortunately for me, this site exists...as it seems to me that many here approach things with this same school of thinking and I can attempt to fix those things that need fixing.

We all come from different school's of thought:

I grew up with my grandfather, who survived the great depression, survived WWII, and became a Boeing Test Pilot retiring with a butt load of experiences and a common sense that life's lesson's taught him. What he taught me, and what I default to is to, is always attempt to rebuild it, restore it, reuse it...and when that doesn't work, buy a new one...or aftermarket when it's no longer available. It's a sound principle that helps keep costs down (sometimes), teaches you how things work/ grows your knowledge base and down the road, you're not as reliant on anyone else when shit breaks. I learn more and more every time I take something apart, even a simple petcock. To each his own...and there's something to be said to support those vendors that provide us with our rare parts...

Fortunately for me, this site exists...as it seems to me that many here approach things with this same school of thinking and I can attempt to fix those things that need fixing.

Right. I appreciate what youve said and think your posts is well presented and well thought out. However $ was never an issue for me and my family so, though my father was incredibly handy (in an afternoon he, by himself, took out a 409 engine from his chevy and put it into my chevy, and had the car doing laps by that same evening) he would NEVER risk buying anything reused or rebuilt UNLESS it was not available otherwise.

Last edited:
Right. I appreciate what youve said and think your posts is well presented and thought out. However $ was never an issue for me and my family so, though my father was incredibly handy (in an afternoon he, by himself, took out a 409 engine from his chevy and put it into my chevy) but would NEVER risk buying anything reused or rebuilt UNLESS it was not available otherwise.

For some (most?) $ is a factor...but in my opinion, and for me, the bigger value is in the learning. I can't deny that I think it's stupid to pay $ for something that can be fixed with a screwdriver and a few minutes...but that's beside the point. I'm also a fan of minimizing waste...Over the past 50+ yrs, we've turned into a nation/world of "throw it away" rather than repair it...perhaps it's why I love vintage bikes/cars...they aren't tossed out like modern things. I hate that modern electronics (phones/tv's, toasters...don't get me started on waffle makers..lol) or even cars for that matter are designed to be tossed after their "projected lifespan". I know for most manufacturers it's cheaper to make a new (Insert Item) than it is to carry the parts to repair it...but it's a sad thing, in my opinion.

Anyways...good that you have the means to buy...do us a favor and make your spares available for others to use...please don't simply toss in the trash. :)

For some (most?) $ is a factor...but in my opinion, and for me, the bigger value is in the learning. I can't deny that I think it's stupid to pay $ for something that can be fixed with a screwdriver and a few minutes...but that's beside the point. I'm also a fan of minimizing waste...Over the past 50+ yrs, we've turned into a nation/world of "throw it away" rather than repair it...perhaps it's why I love vintage bikes/cars...they aren't tossed out like modern things. I hate that modern electronics (phones/tv's, toasters...don't get me started on waffle makers..lol) or even cars for that matter are designed to be tossed after their "projected lifespan". I know for most manufacturers it's cheaper to make a new (Insert Item) than it is to carry the parts to repair it...but it's a sad thing, in my opinion.

Anyways...good that you have the means to buy...do us a favor and make your spares available for others to use...please don't simply toss in the trash. :)

And this is what Ive been wanting to say all along: The petcock that was replaced WILL BE REBUILT. The NEW petcock will remain ON the bike until it fails. Then an only then do I use rebuilt stuff, as I will use the petcock *I* will rebuild, when the time comes. .

Im not sure youve understood the dynamic or the intent/question in this post. It was never a question of the petcock positioning, which is quite clear:. This post was made the address the issue of a leaking petcock in need of replacement.
With regard to left and right, it is all relative to you being seated on the bike in the riding position.
However if you put the petcock levers on the wrong side, they will be on RESERVE when in the
ON or down position. I found this out the hard way once when I had them on the wrong sides
and ran out of gas because, they were actually on reserve when down. be careful!

Back