1977 XS650 Pet Cock is not being a good Pet

Im not sure youve understood the dynamic or the intent/question in this post. It was never a question of the petcock positioning, which is quite clear:. This post was made the address the issue of a leaking petcock in need of replacement.

Don't have to get snarky. He was probably responding to your question in post #11.

I noticed its leaking right behind the lever. Im just going to get a new one. But I have a silly question. How do you identify "left hand" and right hand on a bike for the petcock? By the power of my own reasoning I figured the side that is my right hand (brake side) when im sitting on the bike is LEFT for petcock. Is that right?

You should listen to these gents 77. A majority of them helped me out and got my 3 XSs' back on the road and running stronger than ever. Where it might seem buying new is a great idea, a lot of the "new" parts are crap and I refuse to buy them after spending a decent amount of money to learn quickly they were crap :)

I located a durable, quality replacement petcock, and now I have a spare which I can rebuild.

I have to say, I dont really get the ill feelings that are bred when ppl decide to go against the grain.

1. When I wrapped the pipes on my Honda CB 350F, everyone said "take the pipes off when you do it, or it will be a mess." I wrapped them WITH the pipes still on the bike, and it came out great.
2. On that same bike everyone said "DONT GET AIRPODS! LEAVE THE STOCK AIRBOX OR IT WILL NEVER RUN RIGHT!" I ran pods anyway and the bike hit 105mph and ran like a top.

Some of the best inventions have been made by NOT following advice. That is not to say I dont take advice at all, but it IS to say that sometimes I DO NOT take ALL advice given to me.

Yamaha77 jeez but ain't you right. I've come to view your threads more for the entertainment value than anything else. The depth of thought required is just too much for my singed gray matter to address at this point in my life. The time constraints and responsibilities you shoulder, well they would be daunting and a little scary for me.The assemblage of your collection, again I'm in awe.
Here is a little secret just between you and I. I really don't own a motorcycle but with, "copy and paste", and "save image as" I can spread the bullshit thick enough you need to get your pants leg over the top of your boots. Or in your case sneakers.

Yamaha77 jeez but ain't you right. I've come to view your threads more for the entertainment value than anything else. The depth of thought required is just too much for my singed gray matter to address at this point in my life. The time constraints and responsibilities you shoulder, well they would be daunting and a little scary for me.The assemblage of your collection, again I'm in awe.
Here is a little secret just between you and I. I really don't own a motorcycle but with, "copy and paste", and "save image as" I can spread the bullshit thick enough you need to get your pants leg over the top of your boots. Or in your case sneakers.

I have no idea what all that means, but I will take it as a compliment!

I totally agree with everyone else, you're the guy that doesn't need advice, yet you ask for it, you're a talker and not a doer. So, advice is wasted on you, not worth the time that you drag it out to be.

I totally agree with everyone else, you're the guy that doesn't need advice, yet you ask for it, you're a talker and not a doer. So, advice is wasted on you, not worth the time that you drag it out to be.

Not true at all. Someone reached out to me via inbox and we have had a great convo, with lots of advice given and lots of advice taken (by me). As far as me being a "talker and not a doer," Ive never taken to heart how ppl view me or what they think of me. So basically I remain unaffected = me no care.

To all who have offered their advice, whether I took it or not, thank you! Much appreciated.

11.03 AM.

11.30 AM

11.55 AM
12.50 AM

You done well. You have managed to order, and receive a petcock from MikesXS, install it and wash the bike and post the results all within 24 Hours. Must be a first for MikesXS ..............Don't see the new petcock in your pic or hasn't it been updated.

Just making sure all the bases were covered for future reference when i posted about which side is considered left and right. I assume your answer was directed at me or were you taking about me in the third person while taking to me.

To be honest your full of it, nothing you say can be taken at face value.

BTW I didnt get the petcock from Mikes XS. I wont be buying anything from Mikes except MAYBE a lightbulb! There is a guy in upstate NY who sells stuff and I had them fedex the petcock to me next day on my account.

Additionally, this isnt grade school and I am not so immature as to be goaded by someone into "posting pics of my new petcock." Sorry but your opinion just doesnt matter to me in a substantial way, if at all.

Wow....first off this is not directed to Yamaha 77 and has nothing to do with Petcocks. Just me thinking out loud. I'm new around here and came in seeking advise. Well, I got plenty and some I agreed with and some I listened to but decided to go another way (I'm a bit hard headed) BUT.....some of the folks that have taken the time to reply to this thread are heros (as far as XS650s go) in my book. 5-Twins......good Lord, there are forums out there what would give their left nut (pun intended) to have him as a member....hands down the best I've run across for answers complete with detailed photos. 650 Skull, Grizld1 and Weekendrider......geeze all you were missing were just a few others. Throw a Peanut and 2M in there and there's probably NOTHING those fellows couldn't talk a somebody through.

I've read this thread front to back a couple times......not sure where it went south but it's the first time since I've been on the site ( I haven't been here long) that I've seen these fellows act like this. When just one gets a little testy I figure it's just been a bad day, we all have those.......but when the whole group acts up. Hmmmmmmm?????? In the words of Rodney King "What......why the hell are you throwing ME in jail????....don't you know I'm that get along guy"

Winter's just around the corner.......cabin fever will be next.....get ready for it.

Gordon (who's hard headed and a bit windy) in NC

Guys, 77 gets his kicks by soliciting advice then doing the opposite and crowing about it. It's a passive-aggressive game, he's just playing one-up. As far as I'm concerned he wins this and all future rounds.

I saw the pic of the bike in the the, "What have you done to your XS today?" thread where you stated you have changed the petcock and washed the bike...........Same pic as all the others you post, no new petcock....................

Please be consistent. If you don't want to talk to me them just stop. Put me on your ignore list, as I have every right to post where i like as long as I post within the rules of the site

I saw the pic of the bike in the the, "What have you done to your XS today?" thread where you stated you have changed the petcock and washed the bike...........Same pic as all the others you post, no new petcock....................

Please be consistent. If you don't want to talk to me them just stop. Put me on your ignore list, as I have every right to post where i like as long as I post within the rules of the site

I actually chuckled when I read this. The explanation is simple. The photo of the bike which I posted is from THE DAY AFTER I GOT THE BIKE which is over a month ago. I posted that photo to show everyone what the bike LOOKS like.

Additionally, I URGE you to get out a bit more and stop paying attention to things so trivial. Like seriously! lol. Youre a grown man doing research on another mans pet....cock? lmao! think about it.

Last edited:
Wow....first off this is not directed to Yamaha 77 and has nothing to do with Petcocks. Just me thinking out loud. I'm new around here and came in seeking advise. Well, I got plenty and some I agreed with and some I listened to but decided to go another way (I'm a bit hard headed) BUT.....some of the folks that have taken the time to reply to this thread are heros (as far as XS650s go) in my book. 5-Twins......good Lord, there are forums out there what would give their left nut (pun intended) to have him as a member....hands down the best I've run across for answers complete with detailed photos. 650 Skull, Grizld1 and Weekendrider......geeze all you were missing were just a few others. Throw a Peanut and 2M in there and there's probably NOTHING those fellows couldn't talk a somebody through.

I've read this thread front to back a couple times......not sure where it went south but it's the first time since I've been on the site ( I haven't been here long) that I've seen these fellows act like this. When just one gets a little testy I figure it's just been a bad day, we all have those.......but when the whole group acts up. Hmmmmmmm?????? In the words of Rodney King "What......why the hell are you throwing ME in jail????....don't you know I'm that get along guy"

Winter's just around the corner.......cabin fever will be next.....get ready for it.

Gordon (who's hard headed and a bit windy) in NC

This post was really cute. I hope the ppl you mentioned got a warm feeling from it, and wake to find an additional $500 in their bank accounts!

Seriously though, anyone who gets upset over ANYTHING on the internet is being ridiculous. Though originating in the natural world, it is a virtual world of faux compliments, brown-nosing, attention-seeking and all manner of nonsense.

Granted there are many guys on here with vast knowledge about bikes, and that is helpful for sure. But to get upset when someone goes in a direction different than the advice offers, means that ppl are placing the SELF VALUE and SENSE OF SELF off of a website. Never a good thing.

If I offer someone advice and they dont take it, I dont give a monkeys! Im too busy with life to care what they do after that! Im like "well you asked, i told you, now you can do what you want." If i got upset it means my sense of value is coming from whether ppl take my advice or not. I understand that as ppl age they feel less valuable, but come on, getting pissed because someone wont follow what you say? childish.

That said, Ive learned a lot here.

Just out of curiosity Yamaha77 how much actual seat time do you have on this bike?

As I mentioned i have several bikes and I rotate them week to week. Since i got the bike in late july, i have but 400 miles on it (i ride my bikes, they dont just sit in the garage). So, over the past 6 weeks ive put:
400+ miles on the 77,
500+ miles on the '73 Honda CB 750 and
200+ miles on the '73 Honda CB 500F.

Here is me on my 1973 Honda CB 750 a few weeks ago, the day after I got it, riding with a friend. We rode to Upstate NY and I put 300 miles on it THAT DAY:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ6qmvQhFEJ/?taken-by=jjwilde_

I plan to use the 77 during the NYC Gentleman's Ride this weekend.

Last edited:
I don't know what your issue is, 77, but I suspect you're just one more attention seeking passive aggressive twit. You ask for help, you disregard the advice you asked for, then you get defensive when folks point out your behavior. 5twins warned you about repop parts, and the new petcock assembly you've bought contains trash Chinese rubber that will need replacement very quickly. Maybe at that point you'll take the good advice you were given and replace the rubber disk (it's called a "whizzer valve" in the trade) with an OE part from Yamaha. Or maybe you're a troll who's just writing this stuff to agitate? Anyway, you won't be getting responses from me either.

I didnt buy the petcock from MikesXS and youve assumed a lot. Name calling is for children. So when someone calls me a name, as you did when calling me "twit" i place them in the "childish" category and disregard their comment. The moment someone calls names, they lost the argument. Remember that....

I actually chuckled when I read this. The explanation is simple. The photo of the bike which I posted is from THE DAY AFTER I GOT THE BIKE which is over a month ago. I posted that photo to show everyone what the bike LOOKS like.

Additionally, I URGE you to get out a bit more and stop paying attention to things so trivial. Like seriously! lol. Youre a grown man doing research on another mans pet....cock? lmao! think about it.

For a man who has to ask,............. if the right side of the bike is where the left petcock sits.......................................I took the time to help you out...................

Back