1977 xs650 Special? confused on vin #

Maverick-Man-Ice

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been reading on here for the past few weeks now and I've found a real head scratcher for even the veterans. My title says I have a 1977 XS650. The Vin # is 447-709xxx. However, the bike is a special which wasn't produced until 1978. Supposedly. From what I have found it has not been altered in any way except for a 1981 xs650SH engine. Factory welds and paint all around. It has the passenger foot peg (78-84 special). 1" wide, side cover hanger mounts (78-80 specials). Offset locking gas cap (77-84 specials). I called Yamaha corp and they said could just be a mis print on the Vin but how often does that really happen. Any ideas on what I've got here?

Last edited:
Here are some pics. Thanks guys! I have grown extremely interested in this bike

Attachments

• IMG_20150218_040441126.jpg
    IMG_20150218_040441126.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_20150218_040453099.jpg
    IMG_20150218_040453099.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20150219_144250745.jpg
    IMG_20150219_144250745.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Welcome! New models were introduced around august IIRC. It could have been built late in the '77 model run and titled as a '77 but labeled/listed as a '78 special. The date on your rear brake hose says 2/78 though, which leads me to believe it has been replaced or was built after that date. VIN discrepancies are possible though too....

Does the front brake hose have a date also?

Nice looking bike!

Right off off I'll say just fuggetaboudit. If you have a "good title" enjoy the bike and ride it. BUT don't dig too deep, I'll lay money that the first three digits of the VIN have been altered. She's a good ole gal with an "interesting" past, nothing much wrong with that, what has been done, has been done. If you acquired it legitimately, just let it go. Doesn't really matter for anything related to riding or maintaining the bike.

If you look at my cropped version of your pic it's pretty obvious the 447 is a restamp over ground off previous numbers. Somewhere there's a Special title stamped stolen, destroyed or something like that. The Factory frame vin stampings are quite uniform and straight. That first 4 especially looks tacky. I think I also see evidence of previous numbers sanding filing etc. around those first 3 numbers.

colo vin.jpg

colo vin.jpg

My suggestion is we just delete this thread like it never existed, and you go back to lovin' your bike.

Doing some more looking around the the number 447-709*** DOES seem to match a US spec 77 standard

XS-D (US) 76-77 1T3 447- 700101

I'll take a looky see at some similar year vins, we can compare how those stampings look. But for now I'm sticking with my guess that the vin has been altered.

You're right. The 4th digit, if not the rest of the vin had to be altered as well because no special has a 4th digit as number 7. My question is why go to that extent though. Original motor would have matched the original vin and that was changed out also. Makes me think this bike was apart of something down n' dirty.

The guy who sold it to me was always bringing up the mob and members in it. Even gave me a poster of all of the Denver members and said "give this to your Italian grandfather."
Sold it to me in a back alley out of a poll barn and lived no where nearby. His name didn't match the title so I ran a vin check before buying it to make sure it wasn't a hot vin. Of course it wasn't because it was the wrong vin. Signature on the title was obviously forged. Went and got the title in my name right away just to make sure I could. Live and learn I guess.

Your suggestion to delete this thread like it never existed makes me think you know something about it haha. Spill the details guy. You're wise and you know it. Only kidding, I'm probably reading too much into it and it's probably just stolen; but I'm a history buff. "Interesting" I'll leave it at that.
Only if this bike could talk.

I wouldn't mind seeing what other ideas might become of this for a few days. Besides, the rightful owner is probably at the bottom of Lake Tahoe so he will be the least of my worries haha

I noticed those marks around the VIN numbers as well. It looks to have the '78 and later forks with the adjustable preload top caps. It could be a '78 or even a '79. Some other later model "tells" you could look for would be the carb set. The '78-'79 set was different than the '76-'77 set. Jetting, slides, and float bowl style differed. Another item would be the on-off headlight switch on the right side handlebar switch assembly. A '79 would not have one. A '78 would have one with limited functionality - it would only work with the key on, motor not running. A '77 would have a normal functioning one that worked all the time.

Hi Maverick,
FWIW, Skull's ID chart sez the 447 number denotes a Canadian 77/78 XS-2F.
Dunno about your bike's alleged re-stamp, mine looks pretty sloppy too and I'm pretty sure that it's factory because I bought the bike new.
Thing is, XS650 parts swap around like LEGO (for instance, my Special has a Standard tank and has at one time worn the earlier model wire wheels) and what with your bike having a replacement engine, anything is possible.
For instance, were the cast wheels even around in '77?
One more thing, those brake lines are way past their "best before" date.
New fabric lines are good.
Upgrading to stainless lines is better.

The ID chart i use has no other frame with the 447-9***** other than the 77D US.

The bike looks to be a good one for a resto-mod, The 78/79 Specials are unique in the fact they retain the hinged seat, metal side-covers and are a cross between the Standards and later plastic, (my term for the 80SG and later Specials), 80's thing, Specials and in my opinion are a collectable XS650.

I would be inclined to REMOVE the pics of the vin no and any reference to it. JUST in case some one decides to STEAL your no's.......................Dodgy people out there.............I don't want to incriminate myself.................Just do it

Enjoy your bike and start another thread with pics and any questions about any things to be done and any progress on your work.

OH, and welcome to the site

Back