1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went with the commando from mikes for standards, i really need to get pics up here soon,
Commandos are the same as what I bought, these bikes sure are similar. Still figuring out the rear mounting brackets and I think I'm going to make my own. The brackets they send are not really the best way to go. Im trying to wire it right now, what a mess. Don't mean to hijack your thread but here she is:
IMG_0692_1369_zps6b75125b.jpg

What sort of problems are you having with the mounts. Do you mean they don't mount using the stock mounting points? Did you use the stock headpipes?

bowietwin, I just think if I made my own bracket I can mount the commandos using both mounting points on the passenger footpegs. I am using all new headpipes and mufflers. The hardware that came with the commandos are just some chromed bars with holes, they would need to be bent to fit and then trimmed to size. I think I can do better than that but I need to make a template out of cardboard first.

thanks pre, its tough to stay on top of it all when its 35 degrees outside!
all I need are a few bits and bobs and then a real thorough go over and she should fire.

it needs a good cleaning as well,
it's odd how you forget what they used to be,
this thing came across country in the back of a pickup looking like a relic from the deck of the titanic... now when I go to wrench on it I can't hardly belive what I am looking at

Hey ron, here are those pics of wiring,
IMG_0805_zpsb8a0d46b.jpg

IMG_0803_zps5ddaa096.jpg

IMG_0802_zps9b4cfca1.jpg

IMG_0801_zps3ecce62c.jpg

IMG_0800_zpsf21387a8.jpg

IMG_0799_zps6ae03189.jpg

IMG_0794_zps3a4c36ed.jpg

IMG_0792_zpsc8b312ab.jpg

IMG_0791_zps92dc545c.jpg

IMG_0789_zpsba339aea.jpg

IMG_0788_zps3ea269aa.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsd29b1470.jpg

IMG_0782_zps1dcbdcea.jpg

IMG_0781_zps294343df.jpg

IMG_0780_zps1aa70825.jpg

IMG_0776_zps07528051.jpg

and here are my brakes!!!
IMG_0806_zps9b137410.jpg

IMG_0805_zpsb8a0d46b.jpg

IMG_0804_zps0c7bdbd4.jpg
Nice job, I powdercoated my motor mounts black but I sure like the silver look on yours. You have the same master cylinder as mine but I'm painting the levers black. I bought Mikes Euro bars and fitted chrome/foam grips. I have to check to see if my cabling is like yours but its too damn cold outside (11º). Thanks for the photos, looks great.

ha! my motor mounts are powder coated aluminum/silver, and for my m/c i just re-tooled the original pull handle to fit so I have the originals on both sides.

How did you fit the old handles to the new master? Let me know when you get your commandos in to see how you make your bracket. I haven't made my template yet so I'm real curious. What about mirrors?

for mirrors, I cant decide, I am definitely going to use two, and if they are round i will go with the euro rounds with the 7.5" stems, the 11.5" stems look like damn antennae! i also like the lil cruiser mirrors by emgo,
the handle actually fit well, it just needed a flat file to knock down the width about 2-4mm's
and as for the exhaust I think I am either going to extend it with a piece at the header/muffler joint,
or i will use aluminum stock and polish it, like i did with my coil mount

jeez!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST SHIPPED MY EXHAUST?!? DAMN, i ORDERED MY EXHAUST 8 DAYS AGO AND MIKES SHIPPED IT TODAY? WELL AT LEAST ITS COMING!

Back