1979 XS650 I found one...

IMG_9005.JPG

oooh Dunlop K70's too ! I love that tire !!!!!
I wish you luck getting her going.... first on the list ....Battery ?
I got mine from Walmart for $54.00 and seams to be doing the job ok.... in my experience batteries don't last more than a year anyway...no matter what you do ! ....LOL
Nice bike ! Congrats!
Bob.........

Oh Man that really Does SUK !!!!! not fair at all !!!!
you should see my tires 15 years of setting under a tarp has left them so dry and cracked I am scared to ride it hard !
When I can afford it I'll get Dunlop K70's front and rear.... their the best tires I ever ran ....although I do like a stronger tire
the Dunlop K70's are Kind'a thin.... maybe it's just a grade thing like 4 ply or 6 ply tires for the truck... I will look into it when I'm ready to get some !
Bob........

I have most of that rack. I always wondered what those hole were for. Of course! A backrest/zippered pocket! Keep us informed with progress reports and pictures, please. She's a beauty!

Congratulations, you've got a nice bike there! You'll find this site is the BEST resource available. Lots of knowledgable and generous folks here. Good luck!

I think the tires are Continentals and a matched set, RB2 front and K112 rear. I used to run them all the time years ago on my Beemers.

By chance does that bikes VIN start with 2F0-2*****?

She is definitely a great find. As I learned on this site from other members such as Bob Kelly and 5Twins, I originally purchased my XS650 under the assumption that it was either the 81 or the 79.... but with some research and detailed investigation I learned I actually have a 1980 XS650SG. Still produced at the tail end of 1979 but considered the 1980 SG slightly upgraded model... the Single front and Rear disk brakes, Mag Wheels, and I'm betting it has the removeable seat. I am still far from an expert but aside from the passenger back rest, your bike looks nearly identical to mine in which case you stumbled upon a great find indeed. If I hadn't just noticed your sheer excitement about finding it Id make you a cash in hand offer right now to come buy it from you. I love mine, and want many more!!

Congratulations and enjoy every second of getting her running!!

JR

P.S, I found mine like this.... :
IMG_0095.JPG

And now, after only a few short months, lots of research, and TONS of help from this sites members, I have an operational 1980 Yamaha Special XS650SG I've temporarily named "The Lions Pride"
image.jpg

By chance does that bikes VIN start with 2F0-2*****?

She is definitely a great find. As I learned on this site from other members such as Bob Kelly and 5Twins, I originally purchased my XS650 under the assumption that it was either the 81 or the 79.... but with some research and detailed investigation I learned I actually have a 1980 XS650SG. Still produced at the tail end of 1979 but considered the 1980 SG slightly upgraded model...

NVM... I also just read the part about having a clean title, I assume that's probably more correct than my ramblings. LOL, nonetheless, I don't know you but I am excited for you friend!! Great Buy!!

Hay JR !
you can use fine steel wool to take the Rust off that exhaust pipe and make her shine like a button ! I use steel wool on all my crome I am sure others on here are screaming about now at the mear sujestion, but its the best thing I've found for cleaning up crome !
and that's odd your shop looks like mine !!!!! and the bike looks like mine too are you sure you didn't sneek in my shop and take some picks when My back was turned ? LOL.... and then ya painted it to hide the evedence ????? I gott'a go out and make sure mine's still black ! HAHAHAHAHAH
My avatar has the latest pic of the bike and I'm calling it DONE.... just needs tires and when I get around to it the brass swing arm bushings !
I put my helmit on the fence so Fredintoon wouldn't get up set with me for riding without a full face helmit ! LOL
its good to see that we're all getting them running !
Bob..........

cloudbreakmd :
the carbs on your bike are the fussyest I have ever worked on in all my years ! BUT they work very well when set up properly
the tech section here on this site is the best resource I have found on these bikes read and re read all you can about what makes it tick
and post every once in a while so we know your still alive uh ?!!!!!
good luck getting her up to snuff ! I'll help all I can , if ya need me I'm here ! LOL
Bob.........

Back