1979 XS650 I found one...

Yes, I think you missed some jets. The main jets are in the bowls too. They are under the drain bolts on the bottom of the bowls. Remove the bolts and you can unscrew the jets .....

Stubby.jpg

The needle jets should come out too. They are the large brass tube in the center on the bottom of the main body. They are a slip or press fit into the body, not threaded in. They have an o-ring on them for sealing into the body and that often needs replacing. Your '79 carb set should have Z-2 needle jets .....

I finally got the bike running today. I changed both oil filters and the oil as well as the points.

Still a lot to do but at least I have proof of life.

Question about my choke though... is the down position on the choke lever "off"?

No, the "up" position is. Observe the choke plungers as you push the choke lever down. You'll see they get pulled out (turned "on") when you do.

I'm thinking pilot or mixture screws.

Does any one happen to know all the stock jet sizes for my 1979? If I pull the carbs again then I'm planning to go all new as long as they are apart.

It shouldn't run at all with the choke on after it has warmed up a bit. My '78 (same carb set as your '79) needs the choke for a cold start but I must switch it off after 10 or 15 seconds. The bike starts "8 stroking" (running rough) and will stall if I don't. Yes, I think your carbs need a good cleaning. Here's a chart with the stock jet sizes .....

CarbSpecsReducedSize.jpg

I agree with 5T - both of my XS650s absolutely would NOT start without the "choke" but equally, neither would run at all if it was left on for more than a few moments (varied between 15 seconds and perhaps, a minute or two) - depending on the ambient temperature.

So next question... I was considering replacing the intake manifolds. I ordered a pair from Georgefix on eBay but I think I got the wrong size. Does anyone know the correct diameter for the side facing the carbs?

mine doesnt have any emblems on it and i dont think it has pullback handlebars.but it does have mags and front and rear disc brakes.it might be the same bike.great find.mine is light years behind yours in a starting point.

Back