1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

A little more work this weekend as I'm trying to get motivated again. I think I'm basically to the point I'm ready to take it to my welding buddy to TIG the more visible parts. Some stuff is not even noticeable, but it takes time. The lower engine mount bolt was too long for the frame. Bought a M10-1.25 die to cut some more threads into it and cut off the excess. It's little crap, but it needs to be done. New brake pads up front are done. Waiting on a couple fittings to finish up the rear brake line. Still need to fab a headlight mount, but that should be easy.

Anyway, installed the Pamco kit and needed to make some mounts for the coil. Not beautiful welds, but they'll be hidden by the tank.

SDC12953.jpg

Finished up the rear brake stay pivot. I'll let him TIG the front mount on though.

SDC12955.jpg

Mounting tabs for the electrics box are done and ready to be welded as well.

SDC12956.jpg

Hoping a couple of screws on the bottom should be sufficient to hold the caps on.

SDC12957.jpg

Can't wait to get things welded up so I can get to the wiring. Pretty close to a road-worthy bike once that wiring is done. OK, so maybe not road worthy, but certainly test ride worthy! :D

Kent

KVan,
I remember trying to use the little snufflers like you have on a 350 Honda many moons ago. The poor beastie wouldn't rev over 5000 rpm with them in the pipes, they make a LOT of backpressure, and didn't quiet the exhaust down much, worst of both worlds, actually.
I hope they quiet yours down enough to pass inspection, then toss them in the bushes!

A little more progress after work today. Bolted down the battery box. Trying to figure out placement for the reg/reg. Think I'm asking for trouble mounting the reg/rec under the chain? I'd like to keep it out in the airflow a bit more, but I'm worried it will get chain splatter all over it in this location.

2011-04-18_17-43-30_236.jpg

Made the rear brake line and bled the brake. I'm hoping I can get away with just running a piece of hose like this instead of a full reservoir. I might be crazy on this one too. :umm:

2011-04-18_18-22-25_271.jpg

Kent

Been trying to get my V-Star finished up, but that's pretty much done for this season. Just need to install the new bars and risers and run the internal wiring.

Kent

SDC12913-1.jpg

Trying to tie up some loose ends before I take it to the welder next weekend. Another shot of the coil tucked up under the tank.

SDC12980.jpg

Mounted the reg/rec to the back side of the battery box and finished up the rear brake hardware.

SDC12979.jpg

Key switch and starter button in the electrics box.

SDC12982.jpg

Headlight bracket made from angle stock and headlight mounted to it.

SDC12974.jpg

SDC12976.jpg

The speedo and tach will be on until I pass inspection, then I'll pull them both off. A few shots:

2011-04-23_12-32-45_203.jpg

2011-04-23_12-32-34_628.jpg

SDC12969.jpg

SDC12965.jpg

SDC12968.jpg

Kent

I might be worried that your exhaust will melt that plastic brake line. I assume you know that brake line is not DOT approved. But it's your bike and your life.
Wait, Your building this for your wife, so it's her bike and her life.

The exhaust actually directs outside of the frame and the brake line is inside the frame. Looks much closer in the pics than actually is. I know it's not DOT line. I use it on my V-Star as well, with excellent brake pressure and feel. I know others that have used the same parts to create their brake lines and have been in use for thousands of miles with no problems. The main reason it's not DOT approved is due to the fact you make them yourself instead of a controlled factory process.

Kent

was wondering, on the left side of bike (as you sit on it) what does the chain adjuster screw butt up against on that side? I see it seems to hit the end of the axle bolt pretty squarely on the other side. Also, did you make the sissy bar? that's pretty nifty using that threaded piece at the end.

Back