1980 Rootbeer Bobber

Hey buddy nice work so far. Mikes isnt known for their customer service, that being said When they sent me the wrong size sprocket and I emailed them about it they sent the right one for no extra charge and ate the cost of the original sprocket...so you may want to send them an email about the bowl drain screws....who knows they may just send it out to you.

I'm working on my bike Friday, but if you need some help on Saturday let me know I'll stop by with my wrenches =D

ya, i wish i had some time! next two weeks is going to be DEAD in the garage as i'm traveling for work a LOT. so hopefully i can make up for some lost time over Christmas and new years...

so can anyone help with the canadian needles?? need to know if i have to put the stock plastic spacer back on or not...

Ok, going to go with a different direction on the build. I just can't get over how cool some of these brat bikes look!! now the question is: which kit should i use? Monster Craftsman or Visual Impact? I'm about 50/50 on these currently.

could someone shed some light that has been in this boat with me?? maybe some advantages/disadvantages to each?? thanks!!

Ok, going to go with a different direction on the build. I just can't get over how cool some of these brat bikes look!! now the question is: which kit should i use? Monster Craftsman or Visual Impact? I'm about 50/50 on these currently.

could someone shed some light that has been in this boat with me?? maybe some advantages/disadvantages to each?? thanks!!

I vote for Monster Craftsman!!

You need the plastic spacer You need to shorten the spring some it should fit. At the underside of the plastic clip is pin. It is part of the spacer. It fits in a hole in the slide. If it is not in the hole probably why you can't fit the covers. I rotate the needle till it drops in the hole. :thumbsup:

So I've been doing some work on the bike lately. Decided to change the style to a swingarm bobber style. Jdizon actually created a very similar bike to whats in my head before I could do much to mine, so kudos to a great build!! I'm trying to keep this as budget as I can.

Recently I've:
received a 19" rear wheel conversion and drilled that wheel for speed holes.
Received a twin brembo caliper kit, but will likely use one up front and one in the rear.
Scored a very clean set of EX500 carbs off ebay (probably go this route)
Picked up a set of PWK carbs from a member here.
Peanut tank from e-bay.
Glass bead blasted the entire engine, still have the cases to finish as the clear coat was pretty strong at the time. Everything came out VERY nice. Still might paint a thing or two for a little contrast.
Disassembled the motor and will get to working on that after I inspect all bearings and components.
I'll be upgrading the 5th gear, no re-phase, might weld the journals, likely do a cam regrind (xs1 specs), cylinder head port cleanup at home, valve job, ALL new seals and gaskets, 520 chain conversion, hopefully keep the same bore (read budget above), hydraulic clutch, new cam chain and guides, thin head gasket, Pamco, PMA, small battery (wanted to do the cap, but I already have this 4 cell batt), side oil cooler, Heiden sump filter, etc.
Added the swingarm brace.
Need to install bronze swingarm bushings & tapered head bearings.
Got some "z" bars from e-bay (http://tinyurl.com/llsmzyn)
Going to mount my vapor dash to the bike since I already have it and it's small.
HHB headlight mount.
Rebuild and lower front forks with progressive springs.
Progressive rear shocks, ~11" or so.
VI brat kit.
New neck brace, clean up the frame, remove center stand, shave as much weight as possible, yada yada.

Long list of stuff, but it's going to be fun!!!

Hi wannabridin,
Following this string for a while, one thing puzzles me.
Your motor came with the corroded remnants of a 1980 and later ignition system but the clutch-side engine case lacks the oil-level porthole and so must be from an earlier model.
Where does the early engine stop and the late one start?

No idea, I didn't even realize this detail!! I've no clue when the cutoff happened, I just know what the VIN and title say, haha. We'll have to default to one of the guru's here.

Hi wannabridin,
it don't really matter what year the motor is because they all swap from first to last.
Thing is, if the motor number is the same as the frame number it's the motor (or the crankcase, anyway) that the bike left the factory with.
OTOH, if the motor has parts from another year it makes one wonder what traumas that motor has suffered over it's lifetime.

Well the interior of the motor is in great shape, there's a little bit of wear on the side panels though... Oh well, everything should be good for the rebuild, so I'm not concerned.

wannab, I live in the DFW area and just finished my 75' hard tail build (still need paint). when you get that thing running maybe we can meet up and talk 650's? send me a PM.
later... and good luck, it's fun shit!

Just got the bars, EX500 carbs and thermo dip-stick in the mail. Also finished bead blasting the whole engine and swingarm. Swingarm brace is full welded, welds just need to be cleaned up some, then bronze bushings installed. Also received the Heiden sump screen, MUCH nicer than stock. Should be a very good option over reinforcing the stocker.

Here's a link to the bars: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400375451894?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now I just have to get all new controls since these are 1". Oh well, they certainly look good!!!

Hey Wannab & xs Steve I'm in Haltom city trying to finish my build we should get together some time Ive been looking for some one in the area to help each other with our builds or just talk bikes and ride.

Frankenbob, I'm down with meeting somewhere. Is your bike running?
I'm in the process of doing some re-wiring, should be done in a couple of hours (when I find some time). Let me know when and where via PM.
Maybe well get some better weather soon?
Later...

you guys don't like constant 20's in your garages?? ;) My propane heater is running at full steam just to get parts warm enough to get a coat of paint on!! Oh well, at least we had all the rain.

I can handle the rain better than the cold. From reading the the above look like you got a lot going on and sound like you coming along in good time. Would like to see it when finished. Keep us posted.

Ok, so question for everyone. I'm considering .016" Cu head and base gaskets to bump compression up a notch. I know the cam degree is mandatory, but I'm curious if I'll have enough clearance even after the degree process to run without interference.

Also, would it be worth it to run that much more squish?? Thoughts are welcome, should I run both, neither, greater thickness, etc. Thanks!!

Back