1980 Rootbeer Bobber

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
DFW bobber

Hello all! Just got my first XS650 after years of searching! It was a craigslist find, got it for $400! It's an unmolested 1980 Special. Doesn't run, but engine turns over, whole bike needs some TLC! Pictures to come later

A little about myself: live in the DFW area of TX. Work as a weld engineer and live with my gf in an apartment so i'm trying to be highly efficient with the garage! Reasoning for this is that i also have a 2001 Honda Spirit 750 street tracker and a 1976 CB750 cafe build that's currently in a bunch of boxes. I've been riding since 2003, lived in Denver for 5 years and really wish i was back there instead! I also own a 2002 Blazer zr2, a 2000 jetta tdi (daily driver, 50+mpg) and a 1966 mustang coupe (1st car). needless to say, i NEED a big garage!!

I picked up the XS yesterday and brought it home. Seller is a good guy so he's looking for the title as he thinks it's mixed up somewhere else. otherwise, i'm going to get a bonded title for it, as it's really easy to do in TX.

Since I already have a street tracker and a cafe and i've already done the hard tail chopper thing, so i'm going to go with a stockish build that's also a sleeper. earlier model standard tank, superbike bars, upgraded suspension, dual brakes, some weight savings, lower profile seat, kick only, yada yada. eventually i'll go with a big bore and some better carbs and all that. right now i just want to get it running, so i'll be cheap until after she can move out of the garage on her own. basically i want the bike to look like a factory option for someone who wanted a big upgrade over stock.

one thing i LOVE about these bikes is their size, as they're so damn narrow (especially compared to my CB!) i'd like to keep these "old school" looks, which is why i want a very factory looking bike.

thoughts are always appreciated, especially with advice on what mods are considered "standard" for increasing reliability, performance, etc.

Last edited:
Hi from England and Welcome. I think you'll find this forum one of the most knowledgable and friendly places around with lots of inspiration for your build!

How's DFW these days, I lived in Plano for a year - miss it!

thanks for the welcome!! DFW is DFW... it's TX so it pretty much sucks. i'm born and raised here, but went to college in denver, and wish daily i was back!! one of these days!

what made you leave?

You might think DFW sucks but it beats pissy wet England in October! Cheap gas ($10 a gallon here) good roads and good people! Saying that it's home :)

Was only there for a year working, was a good place and Fort Worth was good for a night out! Do they still have Bone Daddies?

that makes things look rather grand over here man!! bone daddies is still around, along with twin peaks, hooters, tilted kilt, etc. etc.

anywho, here's some pics of the bike and the mess it's in! i think this thing has been sitting for a LONG time. good news is, a lot of the stock components i'll be selling will be in good shape!

as you can see by the latter pictures, that's about the standard shape of everything, good shape but some rusting, debris, poop, etc. will start tearing down soon (wish i had more time) but methinks this will be a bit of a chore...

got a new key today ($20!) from a local locksmith, so at least i have that, but too bad the ignition switch broke from the fork lock when i was taking the wires off the harness... really hope the motor is ok on the inside, i REALLY don't want to have to do a rebuild just yet!

Attachments

• 20121024_201817.jpg
    20121024_201817.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 581
  • 20121024_201822.jpg
    20121024_201822.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 492
  • 20121024_201828.jpg
    20121024_201828.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 498
  • 20121024_201840.jpg
    20121024_201840.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 466
  • 20121024_201849.jpg
    20121024_201849.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 443
I am in the same boat as you wannabridin. Noob here, and just picked up an unmolested '80 special- my first XS. Mostly a dual sport guy, but very excited to be going this route. Have been taking small shite off the bike trying to visualize the entirety of it. I'm in Flagstaff, so winter is right around the corner. Figured this would be a fun winter project. Not sure how it's going to play out, but I'll document it. Not running but it turns over and has unspecified compression. This forum rocks. Been surfing all matter of topics, slowly digesting...

i guess my main question to everyone is what are the "essentials" for these bikes?? like what work would be considered a must-do??

well looks like i have no ignition in the bike... NO idea where it is or what happened to it. both covers on the top of the motor are empty?? GREAT! also, rotor cover revealed a LOT of corrosion and nastiness. i really don't want to pull the motor, but i might just have to if i keep finding this crap!

any thoughts as to how to approach this ignition problem??

i'll get a pic of the spirit, but the CB is in about a dozen boxes completely broken down...

so is the TCI ignition totally different from the points/advancer units??

Hey guy, saw one of your nutz in that one pic:laugh: 1980 should be TCI Ignition. That bike might not have been molested, but it's had some hard consentual action!:wink2:
Seriously, not a bad buy, I'd say. Stick with the guru types here, and you'll be in good shape. You have 2-3 good parts sources close by. Read up on the hot topics here, and at http://www.650central.com/ and you'll be right on track.
Also, as far as DFW goes, when you are riding around on your bike in the 60's on New Year's Day and Groundhog Day, Denver won't seem quite so great.:thumbsup:

1. Check compression. It will tell you a lot about the motor
2. Fix the ignition
3. Clean carbs
4. New battery
5. Check the basic wires to start
6. See if she will come to life

First things I would do.

Once that is settled I'd do a Pma swap...pretty much a must do upgrade

After that, its all about your vision.

Let me know if you need any help

Sleeper ? Heh , heh , heh ...
Hugh : He of twisted crank and only slightly less twisted other ...
Mrriggs : He that shines the light of knowledge on all things obscure ...
kopcicle : past and present master of the square peg in the round hole ...
grizld1 : able to overcome perverts armed with a sawzall in one whithering post ...
Honorable mention to all that have gone before us .

from carbs (yes there is a BS 40mm , it's located on the Suzuki Savage)
to pistons (mmm , mike's , MTC , Ross , Arias , CP , Wiseco
to valves (the 750 Virago are near drop in , 707 Racing Titanium)
to clutch (Heiden tuning)
to rods (Hot Rods from Wiseco , Carillo , Falicon
Head work from Branch

the list is mind numbing

Sleeper ? Heh , heh , heh . I do like them sleepy . Just be aware that even welded the center crank pin will only take about 70HP-70FT/LBS . Put that in your stock appearing XS and make a few people wonder .

~kop

Hey Wannabridin, dont worry if the top covers are empty, it miost likely means tha tyou have a TCI ignition and therefore no points to populate the covers.

As Inevitable syas above, do these checks and fire up. Once fired you can check the state of your charging system (noted weak point on these bikes) then decide on how you want to move forward. The PMA is a good upgrade to do along with a Pamco or Boyer Bransden (I favour this, probable because I am English) - it gives you modern day reliability and peace of mind without visual change tot he style

thanks for that guys! i've been eying those upgrades through various sites. glad i didn't loose my mind with the ignition! i know a guy that makes transistorized ignitions for old bikes, anyone ever ran one of these before?? *edit* nevermind, TCI - Transistor Controlled Ignition :doh: *

with PMA, i take it i don't need a battery? i'd really like to go kick only on this and shave as much weight as i possibly can in the process. planning on speed holes in the wheels (found someone's template) and shaving things wherever else i can.

i'd also like to shave down the special seat and convert it into a standard flat seat. will buy some rigid riser bushings. already have some "superbike" bars and bar end weights, so i don't see vibrations being an issue. need to rebuild both master cylinders, carbs, etc. hopefully i can get it back on the road for cheap!

Ive only ever used the Boyer Bransden ignition, however, give theTCI a try. The ignition system really dictates whether you need a battery too. Boyers are very specific on voltage, however I believe the Pamcos are good for no battery. I like the sound of your ideas for your build, kepp em coming with pics!

PMA will definitely let you go kick only. But you can still have a battery and be kick only. There are a lot of the small lithium batteries now and are much easier to hide, are lighter, and can put out just as much if not more power then the stock batteries. They are a bit more expensive but I highly suggest them. One of the biggest advantages to the PMA is the ability to charge while idle and the overall reliability factor behind it.

I suggest Hughshandbuilt PMA....great customer service....and that is an understatement.

i've seen his kits before, looks good. i currently run a ballistic 8 cell in my spirit; weighs 1 lb (6 less than stock!) and gives great charging properties.

also have a 4 cell for another bike, but will probably use that on this project as i already have it and it's a tad old. should work VERY well for kick only here.

dang work, i just wanna go tear into the bike!! also really hoping the seller comes up with the title from his P.O. so i don't have to mess w/ the bonded title thing. otherwise, no biggie, TX is good with them, but it's extra money...

i've seen his kits before, looks good. i currently run a ballistic 8 cell in my spirit; weighs 1 lb (6 less than stock!) and gives great charging properties.

also have a 4 cell for another bike, but will probably use that on this project as i already have it and it's a tad old. should work VERY well for kick only here.

dang work, i just wanna go tear into the bike!! also really hoping the seller comes up with the title from his P.O. so i don't have to mess w/ the bonded title thing. otherwise, no biggie, TX is good with them, but it's extra money...

I'm in Arlington too. I have a 2000 sqft shop in Kennedale just of I20/820 might have some room if you ever need a place to work or store something. I own my own business and run it out of the shop. I have 4 xs's in there in various build states.

Back