2024 XS650 Calendar VOTE HERE!

Which XS650s would you like to see in the 2024 XS650 Calendar?

• sparky4123 (red bike)

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • lewisjohn

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Kevin Werner

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Lucky Phil

• Catweazle

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • desmoman900

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Xsvirgin

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • dinkster

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Maestro

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Bobxs650

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • chippywhite

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • NeopolitanSliceCream

• Ahmed Taleb

• Paleomechanic

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Einsamer Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wingedwheel

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • OgDog_chopchop_shop

• Heath Hash

• Barnabiker

• 13R

• Wenick Motor Company

• TellyTubby (bike 1)

• Doctari

• Hard 90

• NDSinTX

• lassieAU

• Flash1977

• XS650man

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • captainhighway

• sparky4123 (orange bike)

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Markangels4

• 5twins

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Jose l coria

• Mikey

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • TellyTubby (bike 2)

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Vote for the XS650s you'd like to see in the 2024 XS650 Calendar!

It's time to Vote!

This will be the twelfth year for the XS650 Calendars! As usual, Shawn (samoran1) is putting them together for us. The nomination stage is over and there are a 35 bikes to vote for this year!
Click here to see the nomination thread.

This is the voting thread. There will be 13 bikes in the calendar (the calendar will include January 2024). The bike with the most votes will be on the cover and also have its own month. As in past years, each member is only allowed one bike per calendar, so members with more than one bike in the voting stage will have their bike with the highest number of votes in the calendar. Voting will end in 7 days on October 12th. You can vote for as many bikes as you want (multiple selections allowed). You can only submit your votes once, and only existing members will be able to vote. Accounts created after the time of this post won't be able to vote.

Nominees, feel free to post more photos and details of your bike in this thread. If you want me to replace any of the photos in this post, let me know via private conversation. I used what was provided in the nomination thread. I will post up to two photos of each bike in this post. You can add more to this thread in your own post.

For the top 13: To get these calendars printed and shipped on time, samoran1 needs all of the pictures for the calendar quickly, typically about a week after the voting ends. Once the voting is underway, if you see that you're doing well, get your pictures and information ready to send. You will need to send several high-quality photos of your bike (with no logos or watermarks), your name, location, bike year/model, and SHORT bike bio via email to Shawn. There is more information about photos and other details in the nomination thread. Please review the notes about taking photos. You need to be the owner of the photos or have permission to use the photos for the calendar. In the event that people are unable to supply photos in time, the next runner-up will be included instead. So, the close runners-up (14, 15, and 16) may wish to have photos ready to send in.

After the voting is complete and the calendar is put together, a thread will be created with the final product and a link to order. There will be a limited time to order, so check back often for the ordering thread. A link to the ordering thread will be posted in this thread as well.

Thank you to everyone who has helped make this calendar happen so far!

Here are the nominations. Vote using the poll above.

@sparky4123 (red bike)
full

@lewisjohn
full

@Kevin Werner
full

full

@Lucky Phil
full

@Catweazle
full

@desmoman900
full

@Xsvirgin
full

@DINKSTER
full

full

@Maestro
full

@Bobxs650
full

@chippywhite
full

full

@NeopolitanSliceCream
full

@Ahmed Taleb
full

full

@Paleomechanic
full

full

@Einsamer Wolf
full

@Wingedwheel
full

full

@OgDog_chopchop_shop
full

@Heath Hash
full

full

@Barnabiker
full

full

@13R
full

@Wenick Motor Company
full

@TellyTubby (bike 1)
full

@Doctari
full

@Hard 90
full

@NDSinTX
full

full

@lassieAU
full

full

@Flash1977
full

@XS650man
full

@captainhighway
full

full

@sparky4123 (orange bike)
full

@Markangels4
full

@5twins
full

full

@Jose l coria
full

full

@Mikey
full

@TellyTubby (bike 2)
full

Last edited:
The "Red Bike", an 81 Special came about because after riding my 750 BBK Tracker for 1000s of miles in 2022 I wanted to know how a standard mostly stock XS650 rode. The "Red Bike" has some fork mods, tapered roller stem bearings, Koni adjustable shocks and bronze swingarm bushings. I switched to 18 rear/ 19 front alloy rims with the old style high rim shoulders. More cleaning needed but I think they are period correct "cool". The muffs are a pleasingly subdued Commandos on 1.5 inch head pipes and the VM mikunis breath through Uni foam filters. Brake caliper got fresh seal and pads, a 12.7mm master cylinder and stainless braid brake line give me a very nice feeling 43 year old brake system. I built mounts to hang mid 70s side covers and a standard style seat. I acquired a good enough front fender, had a chrome shop de-chrome front and rear fender and then sent side covers, tank and fenders to @Jim for the 72 XS650 Candy Apple red paint job. My vision was to capture a typical late 60s early seventies motorcycle before fairings and fiberglass and factory crotch rockets. I used Virago handlebar risers to carry the Euro bend bars and ditched the factory tach for small digital tach and Voltmeter because I will never rev this 43 year old motor beyond 5k or 5.5k revs and most enjoy how this motor feels between 3.5k and 4.5k revs.
20230724_180849.jpg
This wheel was an extra that @halfmile built and kindly sold to me.
20230722_095913.jpg
I built this front (first ever for me) to match the rear. Notice that I polished the fork tubes but missed dressing up the lower axle clamp, Duhhh.
20230722_095835.jpg
redbike11.jpg
The Tracker is raucus and torquey in a very nice way, the "Red Bike" is more refined.
20231001_145759.jpg
This is where I started.
StartRedBike.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that I wouldn't be a good judge on 'calendar worthy' bikes. Only 4 of 11 of my votes are prolly going through.:shootme:

EDIT 10/13...yup, I was correct, only 4 made it..:cheers:

Last edited:
I guess I could add some info about my red ‘76. Built from the bare frame up. As I started with an original un-cut frame, all the mods are bolt on so the bike could go back to stock. Custom simplified wiring harness with electronic ignition, 707 big bore kit, custom stainless steel exhaust, some handling goodies like Hagon shocks, gold valve emulators, Avon Roadriders and Fastec fork brace. Except for the exhaust all work including paint done myself in home workshop. Here’s a few close-ups.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    776.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    656.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6086.jpeg
    IMG_6086.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I guess that I wouldn't be a good judge on 'calendar worthy' bikes. Only 4 of 11 of my votes are prolly going through.:shootme:
I think voting is kind of a "What would I want in my garage" proposition and we are all a little bit different. So we won't shoot you, just celebrate that there are so many very different bikes in this group to select from. Cheers

I proved the point, back in the 2nd or 3rd calendar, that it is as much as how much a person contributes to the site as it is about the bike.

Back 10 year ago there was, still is to a degree, a full on hate on Specials and the consensus was they are to be chopped up

Retiredgentalman owned a 78 Special and contributed immensely. I nominated his Special to see if my theory was right as well as his bike being a worthy, in my mind, calender candidate when chopper, bobber, trackers and early Standards were getting in.

Yes his bike did make the calendar that year and I think I proved my theory participation. Within the site is a big contributor to votes. This year that hypothesizes stands out.

Not objecting or complaining, just a fact. That is why I have always encouraged those in the race,(vote thread), to post about their bike and themselves, the more they engage with voters the better chance that have.

Yup, I call them 'legacy' bikes...and I vote for at least one each year. This year is no different. (plus the one I voted for this year is 'calendar worthy')

re: Kevin. I look at the previous 9 calendars I have for reference on 'worthy' bikes. Only a few duds... A great many fantastic ones that could be featured in any national calendar.

Hi guys
I thought I better say something about my xs650,Bob is his name, built in my shed, hardtailed and kept to points system,1979 model, I rewired him complete new wiring etc, wanted to keep him oily rag condition, hope you like and thanks for all the advice much appreciated
IMG_1675.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpeg
IMG_1675.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1620.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg
IMG_1600.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    697.1 KB · Views: 33
  • F0068C07-FEA7-44F6-8FA1-F33069902E54.jpeg
    F0068C07-FEA7-44F6-8FA1-F33069902E54.jpeg
    931.1 KB · Views: 30
Congratulations to Kevin Werner on the top voted motorcycle and cover winner!

To the top 13 please direct message me with a good email address to contact you about how/where/what to send for the calendar production.

I believe I did this right. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kevin Werner
desmoman900
Paleomechanic
5twins
Wingedwheel
sparky4123 (red bike)
lewisjohn
Lucky Phil
Ahmed Taleb
TellyTubby (bike 2)
chippywhite
Mikey