View attachment 192404
Bumping this up so I can find it. Looking at 2 brown wires off my safety switch, but have not got to the starter/decompressor switch install for the 73 TX.
It'll be fine.

yea this is where things get a bit weird on the 72/73 loom. brown to kill switch, red/white out to the coil. where the red/white bullet connector plugs into the coil bullet, the red/white has a brown piggybacking back to your safety relay. from there it goes back to the solinoid

This is from RobinC's, (RIP), 73TX
img_20181016_160400-jpg.127795

Thanks Skull.
That is the exact bike* I am working on, have put new harness on, etc.
*bike went to another owner after Robin who respectfully disassembled it and did a bunch of work.
Figured finishing it off would be routine as I am familiar with '74 and up. Surprised at the extent of the differences.

Last edited:
heads up.

May find the Stop/Brake switch from the handlebar has a Green/Yellow wire running to the yellow wire from the rear Stop/Brake switch.

The front one was missing on the diagram I worked on and drew it in using a yellow wire.

Thanks Skull.
That is the exact bike* I am working on, have put new harness on, etc.
*bike went to another owner after Robin who respectfully disassembled it and did a bunch of work.
Figured finishing it off would be routine as I am familiar with '74 and up. Surprised at the extent of the differences.

Robin posted a lot of pics to help me out with identifying the TX loom to help see if there was any difference between 72 and 73. In all his pics the original loom looked in good nick.

" In all his pics the original loom looked in good nick."
After some false starts, I have put the new aftermarket loom aside and am using the original. That, and the contents of this thread are super helpful. I figure another couple sweaty afternoons will git er done.
Big thanks to all who contributed.

Could you note any variations you find and let me know so i can alter the diagram............Someone a while back claimed the diagram had faults but wouldn't elaborate.

Glad it helps

72XS2/73TX Wiring Diagram.....Finished......This diagram has been a collaboration from many. I have Dedicated the diagram to RobinC, (RIP), who helped with a ton of pics.

NOTE: In addition to the the wiring Diagram.......... here on the first and the Second page in this link, covers the earth/Ground issue with the Bar switches and how this issue was overcome.
Start at Post #2228
http://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-xs2-a-full-on-restoration.51520/page-112

View attachment 136330 View attachment 136330
This is great! I need a little advice though. I have the original key ignition and it works fine and bike runs. When the bike is not running, you can turn the headlight on with the key. When the bike is running and you turn the key to turn on the headlight, the bike turns off....

This is great! I need a little advice though. I have the original key ignition and it works fine and bike runs. When the bike is not running, you can turn the headlight on with the key. When the bike is running and you turn the key to turn on the headlight, the bike turns off....
Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
The older bikes (pre-78, I think) have a 3 position key switch and a handlebar mounted light on/off switch. Key switch position II is run and the lights are switched from the bar. Key switch III is "park" and the ignition is off, but the light is on.
74_TX650A copy.jpg fix 2 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Great, thanks! I love this forum. I just got an XS2. Trying to get it ready for the road in the spring. Everyone has been great. I'm sure I'll have many questions in the future....

Back