'74 Cafe Update

curtis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
All-

Just put in some time in the garage and things are finally coming together. Here's an update on my cafe build. (btw I started with a $50 basket case from a junk yard. If you want to know how to get a non-salvage, non-bonded title in IA I can help with that)

- motor overhaul, 6th over pistons for a bump to 680cc
- Shaved a bunch of tabs off the frame, bobbed the back section
- Battery removed from under the seat, ditched the basket and moved electronics to under the seat in a one-off pan. Battery relocated to underneath the butt-stop. (had to downsize the battery to get it to fit, so I'll be kickin' this machine over from here out)

Biggest job lately has been the tank. I snagged a '74 Triumph Trident tank off ebay. Fabricated new mounts, filled in the rear portion of the tunnel, relocated the petcock bungs and removed all the old paint. Yes, you can make a Triumph tank fit on a XS, but it's a bunch of work!

The butt stop seat is my own design. I drew the form in Solidworks then had a buddy CNC the mold. It's fiberglass. The taillight is a bullet LED for a '55 chev.

Pics attached. Comments/advice/cheers/jeers welcome. hope to be ready for a shakedown ride in +/- 2 wks.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 202
Nice one curtis, +1 of the Cafe, (the world needs more Cafe's)

Can't wait to see the paint job, go fast stripes and chequered flag decals?

cheers

Tank looks a bit tall for the handlebars, but still looks good. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! It's getting there.

Azman, yeah, height on the tank was bit tricky. The triumph tank is a bit taller than stock. I probably stared at the bike for 3 hours justing trying to visualize how it could set and not bump into stuff.

Paint will probably be flat black. Some stripes would be nice though...

Would your friend be willing to quote on CNC Fiberglass Layup tools? I have plenty of Reverse Engineering and Design tools, but lack a cheap and good-enough-for-a-hobby 5axis/whatever 4lb foam carving solution. I'll do the tool design to fit his manufacturing process, I'll design in splits/pin locations/etc as he would like them.

Bike looks great man, great work with the rear section.

PM me with how much it would be to make one of those butt stoppers for my project.

Cafe-Dave- So you want to know cost for machine time? I can see what it would take. The router is a 5-axis and can make big parts, so they wouldn't have any trouble cutting XS stuff.

Ton Up- I'll have to do some checking...

Thanks guys!

Ton Up - talked to my fiberglass guy and found out he literally broke the mold when we made my seat. I could see a scenario where I loan you my butt stop and you make a splash mold off it if you or someone you know can do fiberglass work.

Guys,

New pics. I got a quick coat of paint on and have put 80 miles on so far. Working up slowing during this shakedown phase.

Very happy so far. Pamco ignition and 6th over pistons make for a great combo in terms of performance.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 165
Thanks guys! Good idea on lowering the tach/speedo and headlight. I'll have to look into that.

Highside- my signature needs work because of my bad spelling/typing :)

Back