750 Big Bore kit

Hey jdizon,
Have you planned a route, or researching?
You could go with complete setup, all parts, cyls/pistons fitted.
Or you could get individual parts, have everything bored/sized locally.
Machine shops out here have dried up. When I asked about machine shop & cyl service, I was told nobody's doin that anymore. Huh???

Damn guys!! .. I guess I'll have to pick it up from MikeXS. I can't find any other US resellers. I was looking at piecing it together and going through hoosracing but I don't want to go through the hassle. I also like the looks of the big cooling fins with the Heiden tuning kit.

Just checked XS650Direct.com (the Canadian distributor for many of MikesXS parts). When I bought mine, and up till very recently, their price for some unexplained reason was much less than the US price.

I paid $587.02 for my kit back in Nov 2011 (just searched my email for the order). Now it's up to $729 Canadian, which is more in line with the $699 US price.

Glad I got such a bargain :)

If I was doing it again, I'd consider higher (or at least known) quality JE or Wiseco pistons at the 700cc mark and use the stock jugs.

Or you could buy the big bore jugs at $400 and get 770cc Wiseco pistons on eBay for $240

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WISECO-770cc...=item3a72d060a6&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1#ht_1196wt_1163

And then get some gaskets. Copper head gasket might be a nice touch. Yes, you'd have to shell out for a bore/hone on the new cylinders to match the 770cc pistons, but that would be a nice setup for not much more than the $700 price at MikesXS.

Thanks Tim! It looked like MikeXS increased the price recently as when I was looking in Jan it was 650.00 in my to buy list. Probably went up because it's riding season. That wise co piston might be the way to go tho! I'll price it all out. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Tim! It looked like MikeXS increased the price recently as when I was looking in Jan it was 650.00 in my to buy list. Probably went up because it's riding season. That wise co piston might be the way to go tho! I'll price it all out. Thanks for the info.

Theirs absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of Mikes pistons,they are what they are for the money and will serve your purposes just fine. I'd most likely spend the extra money on better quality for the rings but to to individually piece a 750 kit together is just nuts cuz the Mikes kit is still a bargain for the money.

Theirs absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of Mikes pistons,they are what they are for the money and will serve your purposes just fine. I'd most likely spend the extra money on better quality for the rings but to to individually piece a 750 kit together is just nuts cuz the Mikes kit is still a bargain for the money.

Jack - first off, I personally have the MikesXS 750 kit and I'm running it on a rephased engine with a ported head, oversize titanium valves / springs from a NASCAR engine and a Shell #1 grind cam.

So, I hope you're right that there's nothing wrong with the quality of the MikesXS pistons. But hope is hope. I have no idea who makes the pistons or how, or with what material or processes to ensure quality.

Wiseco on the other hand is a 'known quantity', and with the price increase of the MikesXS parts along with reasonable prices to be had on the Wiseco pistons, there are more options.

$400 for MikesXS cylinders
$230 for the Wiseco piston kit as mentioned before - comes with pins and rings etc.
$45 for the Wiseco head gasket as mentioned in the eBay auction. Or buy copper for the same price.

So for parts only, $675 for the same parts you get from Mikes for $699.

Now, the price you have to pay if you want to use the Wiseco pistons is for a bore/hone on the cylinders. Should run $150 or so depending on where you live.

Would end up costing in total about $125 extra. As I mentioned in my post - "...would be a nice setup for not much more than the $700 price at MikesXS."

Check the measurements but I'd say with 99 percent certainty the 770cc wiseco pistons will naturally be larger diameter than the 750cc ones.

You can likely get smaller wiseco or je pistons. Like I said earlier as well you might consider 700cc pistons and save $400 by using your stock cylinders. Of course that pushes your stock sleeves to the max.

Jack - first off, I personally have the MikesXS 750 kit and I'm running it on a rephased engine with a ported head, oversize titanium valves / springs from a NASCAR engine and a Shell #1 grind cam.

So, I hope you're right that there's nothing wrong with the quality of the MikesXS pistons. But hope is hope. I have no idea who makes the pistons or how, or with what material or processes to ensure quality.

Wiseco on the other hand is a 'known quantity', and with the price increase of the MikesXS parts along with reasonable prices to be had on the Wiseco pistons, there are more options.

$400 for MikesXS cylinders
$230 for the Wiseco piston kit as mentioned before - comes with pins and rings etc.
$45 for the Wiseco head gasket as mentioned in the eBay auction. Or buy copper for the same price.

So for parts only, $675 for the same parts you get from Mikes for $699.

Now, the price you have to pay if you want to use the Wiseco pistons is for a bore/hone on the cylinders. Should run $150 or so depending on where you live.

Would end up costing in total about $125 extra. As I mentioned in my post - "...would be a nice setup for not much more than the $700 price at MikesXS."

Forged pistons come in two alloys 4032 and 2618 and yes some look sexier than others, so it doesn't really matter who's the manufacture as they have their added touches or will make'm to your specs. Mikes are 4032 alloy, if the engine is NA you having nothing to fear. I have no idea how you came up with a $230 price tag on the 750 Wiseco's unless your bought them used off Ebay cuz they normally run close to $400. If I may a ask,why are you running Nascar springs with the shell #1? all you need is about 100Lb seat pressure with the Shell to keep the valves in control at 8000 to 8300 RPM's, any poundage over that and you're waisting HP opening the valves along with additional friction.

Jack. Does Wiseco actually make a 750 piston? Or are all 750 pistons actually come in at 770 cc total? Wiseco kit #CK200 is $293 list on their site. 2 80mm pistons,rings,clips,pins.

With std stroke do 80mm pistons equal 750 or 770? I'm confused.

What do you guys recommend for a cam? Looking at the following from Mikexs

Part #05-0025
High Performance Camshaft and matching performance Valve Spring Kit
(Sold as a kit Only). Cam fits 1974-84 447/533 type engines only.
Camshaft has removable 36 tooth drive sprocket and kit includes special
valve stem seals, Valve Springs and clearance spring caps

My upgrade list thus far.
-----------------------------------
447 Big Bore Kit-80mm. (750cc)
XS Performance Street Cam - 447 type
XS Performance Rocker Arm Set

I've heard mixed reviews on this cam - and you don't want mixed reviews on a cam.

For my money, send a stock cam to Web Camshafts in California and have them do a grind on it. $150 or so I think.

I did one at Web. I picked up a cam cheap on eBay and had it shipped directly to Web in California for grinding.

For my 277 motor, I did a cam with MrRiggs and he had a Shell #1 grind done on it.

For my next stock engine I picked up a 256 cam with the 447 sprocket on it degreed in for a thinner copper head gasket from XS Cycle here in Canada (he sells them on eBay). Doesn't seem to have any of those listed just at the moment, but he does have one of the MikesXS cams up for sale. That engine has a mildly ported head.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/XS650-cam-XS...ies&hash=item4d0bbbe10c&_uhb=1#ht_1838wt_1397

What do you guys recommend for a cam? Looking at the following from Mikexs

Part #05-0025
High Performance Camshaft and matching performance Valve Spring Kit
(Sold as a kit Only). Cam fits 1974-84 447/533 type engines only.
Camshaft has removable 36 tooth drive sprocket and kit includes special
valve stem seals, Valve Springs and clearance spring caps

My upgrade list thus far.
-----------------------------------
447 Big Bore Kit-80mm. (750cc)
XS Performance Street Cam - 447 type
XS Performance Rocker Arm Set

Back