78 or 79 First time owner

Betteron2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230625_175108_Facebook.jpg
IMG_20230628_181225.jpg
IMG_20230707_173809_resized.jpg

Hello people - I recently acquired this kick only 78 or 79 that the PO said was having trouble with the kicker slipping. Is the last photo a stripped first gear?

Just wanted to verify and show off 😁😁

Afraid so but flip it upside down and remove the bottom case, the head can stay on
Yep... Leave the top end intact, flip it and pull the bottom case half. Relatively easy fix.

Otoh... any idea on how it runs or the history?
Since you're gonna have to pull the motor, might be a good time to freshen the top?

Twenty bucks says that's a symptom, not a cause. Xs trannies just don't do that.
Oh joy.

Yep... Leave the top end intact, flip it and pull the bottom case half. Relatively easy fix.

Otoh... any idea on how it runs or the history?
Since you're gonna have to pull the motor, might be a good time to freshen the top?
It ran ok a few days ago, taking the state of the carbs into consideration.

You could get it to start, if you rocked it back and forth and happened to find a decent run of decent teeth. I'm not sure of the damage precisely - though I did find two chipped teeth at the bottom of the cover.

Thanks for the reply.

That is not just chipped teeth. Been mashed and ground in part to having already lost some teeth then kicking it over where the broken teeth were causing the gears to disintegrate, as pic shows.

I would b concerned. The small particles could b in the oil galleries.

Check the condition of the oil pump as well.

That is not just chipped teeth. Been mashed and ground in part to having already lost some teeth then kicking it over where the broken teeth were causing the gears to disintegrate, as pic shows.

I would b concerned. The small particles could b in the oil galleries.

Check the condition of the oil pump as well.
Good point - thanks.

Yeah, anyone's guess on the washer. Screen is torn. Look in Tech for a repair of that. All the sludge means regular maintenance... like oil changes, were pretty infrequent... but you probably already figured that out.

Yeah, anyone's guess on the washer. Screen is torn. Look in Tech for a repair of that. All the sludge means regular maintenance... like oil changes, were pretty infrequent... but you probably already figured that out.
Based on the fact that you have to pull the motor to fix the tranny and all the sludge you're seeing, I would probably pull the top end and freshen it up.
That's just my opinion though.

Back