78 or 79 First time owner

Keep in mind, that just means it's not rusted. Doesn't mean it's a good rod yet. Book shows how to check it's dimensions.

Could a passenger, who thought the kick start pedal was a footrest and put weight on it when the bike was in 1st, possibly have caused the damage?

I suppose if it was revved pretty high at the time that might do it... :shrug:

Did you have issues with the bike running on first gear? I have the same problem but I have e-start so I'm planning to use that instead of splitting the crank case for now.. unless the bad news is first gear won't work properly if some teeth are missing

Attachments

• PXL_20230717_071555686.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230717_071555686.MP.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 26
Did you have issues with the bike running on first gear? I have the same problem but I have e-start so I'm planning to use that instead of splitting the crank case for now.. unless the bad news is first gear won't work properly if some teeth are missing
I've yet to ride mine - I've only had it running so far. First gear wouldn't work if it was ready to roll though. I'm waiting for a replacement gear to arrive.

I've yet to ride mine - I've only had it running so far. First gear wouldn't work if it was ready to roll though. I'm waiting for a replacement gear to arrive.
Sorry I'm not too sure what you mean by that. As in the bike can't take off in first gear?

How long did it take you to split the crank case and have you got a video or resource that helped? I don't want to take the heads off if possible

Right. First would slip thanks to the missing teeth.

Splitting the cases wasn't hard and you don't have to take the top off - you can service the transmission by turning the engine upside down and taking the bottom off. I put mine into a milk crate as I've no proper stand. Not ideal but workable. Not sure exactly how long it took - I work on it when I get a few minutes free here and there...

Search 'splitting the cases' on this forum and you'll find plenty of threads.

Edit: Though I'm new to the XS650 - feel free to message with any questions and I'll do me best to help!

Last edited:

Splitting the cases wasn't hard and you don't have to take the top off - you can service the transmission by turning the engine upside down and taking the bottom off. I put mine into a milk crate as I've no proper stand. Not ideal but workable. Not sure exactly how long it took - I work on it when I get a few minutes free here and there...

Edit: Though I'm new to the XS650 - feel free to message with any questions and I'll do me best to help!
Thanks,

I know a someone with a spare transmission set, hoping it will be a simple remove the old two sets and put in the "new " ones.

Oh

Oh if it's not too much of a hassle, are you able to post a photo of the damaged first gear up close here? Wondering how much of your teeth is damaged, mines only about half of each of the two teeth

Oh
Oh if it's not too much of a hassle, are you able to post a photo of the damaged first gear up close here? Wondering how much of your teeth is damaged, mines only about half of each of the two teeth

Not sure how it happened - I bought it as is.

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_131938.jpg
    IMG_20230715_131938.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 27
Oh yikes that's a few more than me, yeh I'm not too sure how I got it either.. had the bike sitting for half a year, then found the Kickstarter was jammed and not lining up to turn the motor, took out the cover and found that.

Been busy with family, so not too much done in the last few...

Want to verify - can the items in the photo be removed if I'm kick only? How about the small gear behind the small retention plate - on a rod that spans the case and has a larger gear on the other end - seems they would be unused if starter motor is gone...?

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_161631.jpg
    IMG_20230724_161631.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 29
Back