79 xs650 "baby come back"

oldschoolxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
yes I reference a Hall & Oates song in my title . . . no, I am not gay!

Cool story behind my build. I bought the bike in Colorado. It was in a barn for awhile. At the time I was working for a custom bike shop and had built a chopper using all the tools in the shop. My goal on this one was to build it using only hand tools in my garage. Mainly, angle grinder and small welder. I stripped the bike down to bare frame and removed all the extra shit off it and had it powdercoated. Then began to build it back up the way I wanted it. I am (obviously) a Gravel Crew (japanese builder) fan! Their bikes are bare bones and clean as a whistle.

Got the bike into a roller with everything mounted. All that was left was wiring it. Then, I decided to sell it to purchase a '49 Plymouth. I always regretted not finishing it. Fast forward 2 years. The dude who bought it had taken his time wiring it and lost the title in the mean time. Called me to get a duplicate title. I told him if he ever thought about selling I might be interested. He called me back a few days later with a price. Turned out to be too much for me to swing. But, the bike was calling me!

I finally got the price to where I could swing it and bought it back. I have had it for about 3 months. I bought it back in the same exact condition I sold it in only it was wired . . . and rather nicely too! I finished off a few small things and painted it (my trade). I am still working on a charging bug but I did ride it trouble free for about a month prior to charging issues. Once the charging issue is resolved she will probably be for sale.

I know it is nothing ground breaking but that was not my goal. Hope you all dig it!

thanks for looking,
Josh

Before:
Abeginning.jpg

Middle:
Amiddle.jpg

Finished:
ok2.jpg

ok3.jpg

ok5.jpg

ok4.jpg

ok6.jpg

ok8.jpg

ok7.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the good words fellas! the tank is a peanut from lowbrow customs. tires are firestone and the bars were on my wifes beach cruiser bicycle. i cut them up. she was not happy.

I like the look of those tyres but what's it like to ride with them? Have you ever been on a wet road with them?
That it one excellent looking bike you've built, I'll be happy if mine comes out even half that good!

I live in socal so rain isn't really gonna be an issue so I cant comment on the tires in the rain. I have heard they are somewhat hard to handle on grooved pavement/highways.

josh

Sounds like I'd better get something else to suit our roads and climate then, cheers for letting me know though :)

NIce work. Looks like you took your time and put some heart into it. Just so ya know, your spoolie is illegal in CA. Here's the section:

26311. (a) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with service
brakes on all wheels, except as follows:
(1) Trucks and truck tractors manufactured before January 1, 1982,
having three or more axles need not have brakes on the front wheels,
except when such vehicles are equipped with at least two steerable
axles, the wheels of one such axle need not be equipped with brakes.
(2) Any vehicle being towed in a driveaway-towaway operation.
(3) Any vehicle manufactured prior to 1930.
(4) Any two-axle truck tractor manufactured prior to 1964.
(5) Any sidecar attached to a motorcycle.
(6) Any motorcycle manufactured prior to 1966. Such motorcycle
shall be equipped with brakes on at least one wheel.
(b) Any bus, truck, or truck tractor may be equipped with a manual
or automatic means for reducing the braking effort on the front
wheels. The manual means shall be used only when operating under
adverse road conditions, such as wet, snowy, or icy roads.
(c) Vehicles and combinations of vehicles exempted in subdivisions
(a) and (b) from the requirements of brakes on all wheels shall
comply with the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454.

Back