Got it Back

Has anybody had any experience with the 1.5“ head pipes part #07-0757 from yamahaxs650.com for $125? That seems to be a reasonable price if the fit and the chrome are good. Don’t want them if they turn blue in a month. Sincerely appreciate all the help I am getting from the group. Carveacre in Alpine, CA

Yes, I have them on my '83 and they're pretty nice. The pipe is pretty thick and the chrome seems good. I've been running them for several years now and they haven't turned blue. They may be just starting to turn a little gold. But, I re-jetted the carbs when I installed them, and you should too. Go up one size on the mains if the headpipes are your only "mod". I changed the mufflers and switched to pod filters at the same time so I went two up on the mains, one up on the pilots, and one down on the air jets.

If you're going to change the mufflers too, I highly recommend the 1.5" inlet Commandos. They'll fit the new headpipes perfectly without the need for reducers (which always leak, lol) ......

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/commando-style-megaphone-muffler/

I think this is about the nicest muffler available for this bike. It sounds great and performs well.

Thanks a million. I get more confident every day. I will be getting the head pipes and I will try to save the mufflers, which are not too bad. A little surface rust, but shines up with 0000 steel wool. Is there a treatment that will prevent rust from returning on chrome? If it works on mufflers, maybe it will work on fenders. I bought a new replica handlebar from Dennis Kirk today. Still looking for that left cover with the 650 V, and both left and right handlebar controls (left, hi/lo light, turn signals and horn, right, starter and engine run) Carveacre in Alpine, CA

I will be getting the head pipes and I will try to save the mufflers, which are not too bad.
Hey,
Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but you appear to have the stock Special exhaust system of which I have a couple. The mufflers are welded onto the headpipes at the factory, so they are not coming apart.

I recently bought the YamahaXS650.com headpipes and the Commando mufflers which 5Twins referred to, and I have had the same experience as him with them. Here is my write up on my installation, post #12,779 :
https://www.xs650.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-xs-today.32082/page-639#post-814572

1708197966206.png

As for rust prevention of chromed items, just keep them dry and clean during riding season, and during winter storage give them a coat of paste wax.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about the headpipes is they don't kick up quite enough at the rear. The muffler blocks axle removal and must be removed to get it out. I'm going to try to "tweak" them, bend them up a little bit more at the ends, also out a hair more for shock body clearance. Shouldn't take much.

Hey,
You mentioned that you need a headlight bucket. YamahaXs650.com currently has an INCREDIBLE sale on the complete chrome headlight unit with H4 halogen beam and bulb!

Original Type Headlight

$43.95

Chrome Original Type 7" Headlight Assembly as used on all 650's 1974-84. Custom Polished chrome finish with upgrade to H4 Halogen lamp assembly - OEM Ref.# 584-84310-60/61-00 (U.S.A. market RH side drive) - 60/55W 12V P43T Halogen Bulb included. Part # 09-0074

However, I recommend replacing the bulb with a Superblue unit which has a blue background on the reflecting lens which makes you more noticeable to distracted drivers:

Superblue H4 bulb:

New Super Blue High Intensity Halogen Bulb

$6.25

New Super Blue High Intensity Halogen Bulb. 12V H4 60/55 Watt with P43T Base. Produces a very pure bright white light. Same style as used in new street bikes. Replaces Bulb in any of our halogen headlights. Part #10-0027 $6.25 Ea

Since these particular halogen bulbs put a bit more stress on your charging system, I recommend buying 2 red LED bulbs for the tailight which will reduce the stress and make you more noticeable:

LED Tail Light Bulb - glows red​

$5.95

In stock

Led Tail Light Bulb for Long lens type tail lights as used on most 1980-84
“Specials” 12v Bulb has 6 Red LEDs that face to the sides and 18 LEDs on the end.
Part #10-1181 $5.95 Ea.

Going to give this a lot of thought before I commit to a plan.

BTW, my right side cover came in the mail today. With a little PlastX and some TLC, it will be nearly perfect. Minor imperfections in the clear coat, but they will polish out. Nothing broken, cracked chipped or missing. In an hour or two it will sparkle. . I paid $25 for it, and I would be very happy to get the left side cover, black with 650 V. Progress being made every day. Tomorrow, oil change. This week, carburetors and gas tank. Carveacre in Alpine, CA

okay, I ordered the headlight. Now, does anybody have a technique for removing the round, aluminum 2-screw oil filter cover? I have not touched it with a blade screwdriver. It would seem to me that any attempt to pry it off will booger up the case. I put 2 drill bits in the holes and gently tried to twist it, but it’s still in there.

Good news. I have the right cover and I have ordered the left cover. The one I have will polish up very nicely, and the 650 V emblem is intact, but a little faded. The left side looks to be in good shape from the seller’s pictures. I located them all over the world from Germany to Australia, up to 252 euros for black covers with no emblems. I have also seen scratched up covers for $16, but they can’t be saved. The quest continues.

BTW, I tried Partzilla for oil filters using very specific details for the bike, 1981 XS650SH, and I got over 200 oil filters, none of which will fit the bike. Would up with 2 bottom oil filter gaskets and 2 upper filters from Yamahaxs650.com, but they were expensive, plus $15 shipping. I hope going forward there is a less expensive source. I keep finding little things to do, which seem to take hours. The first rule of overhauling a navy ship: work will grow to fill the time available. Money will be found. Thanks, all. Carveacre in Alpine, CA

BTW, I tried Partzilla for oil filters using very specific details for the bik
The 2 oil filters on your bike are actually just oil screens which can be cleaned and reused if they are not torn, but the one at the bottom can be repaired. Are yours intact? (picture?)

I have removed the 6mm Allen head set screws, and I have been gently trying to tease off the cover. Right now, it is getting a soaking with penetrating oil. This cover has not been removed in 40 years. View attachment 262138
Prying might damage it.
Perhaps tap on it lightly with a polyurethane or rubber hammer.

The paper gaskets behind the cover can often be reused, but if needed you can get them cheap with free shipping on EBay.

The sump filter gasket is also available on Ebay.

Some guys carve them out of a sheet of gasket material or cereal box with an exacto knife.

I used a skinny knife blade as a scraper and scraped the grove of all dirt and crud, then squirted more penetrating oil. It does not want to budge. Next I will apply Gorilla tape to the cover and try to yank it off.
If necessary you could tap some threads into the round cover holes and screw in some bolts, then pull on them.

Back