Got it Back

oil filter cover wrench.JPG

an early version
oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg

simply pull up, it's irresistible, does no damage.

I tried tapping hardwood dowels in the holes and prying sideways in a twisting motion with a lever. No joy. I might have to try heating the casing around the cover, but that is a last resort. Don’t want to scorch the aluminum casing. I have also thought of fabbing up a spanner of just the right size with 2 hardened steel pins exactly the right size and span, but that’s a whole other level of desperation.

The sump plate on the bottom of the engine is most likely stuck on too, lol. That one is pretty easy to knock free with a block of hardwood and a BFH. When you replace the covers with new gaskets installed, DO NOT put any gasket sealer on them !! That's why they're so stuck on there now, lol. I just oil the new gaskets with motor oil. This "puffs" them up to help them seal and also makes them cling to the surface which aids in the install. But most importantly, they won't stick to the cover or motor, making future removal easy. And since the covers come off easily, usually without damaging the gaskets, you can re-use them at least several times before they're worn out to the point that they start seeping.

Back