Got it Back

Carveacre

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought my 1981 XS 650 Heritage Special in Sioux Falls, SD. Skipping the details, it was sold. I relocated it recently and I have it back, here in Alpine, CA. It hasn’t been registered since 1996, and is suffering from a lot of neglect, but I intend to restore it to its original grace. The fender and handlebars are very rusty, and both side covers are missing. All I have done so far is just stroke the kick starter to make sure the engine is not seized. I accept the fact that this bike won’t be ready to ride for a while, and it won’t be cheap, but I want to do it as well as can be done. I am also restoring my father’s 1978 Honda CX500. I am 76 years old, retired US Navy, retired classroom teacher.

I am glad I found this forum. Please share your experiences and good ideas about how to proceed with this restoration. Thx, Carveacre

You have come to the right place, @Carveacre. Plenty of suggestions and help with the restoration. That's a very nice story, that you have tracked down a bike you used to own - how long were the two of you, uhm, separated?

Looking forward to the restoration - use this thread but just be sure to put plenty pictures. Good luck, Raymond

Last edited:
I bought my 1981 XS 650 Heritage Special in Sioux Falls, SD. Skipping the details, it was sold. I relocated it recently and I have it back, here in Alpine, CA. It hasn’t been registered since 1996, and is suffering from a lot of neglect, but I intend to restore it to its original grace. The fender and handlebars are very rusty, and both side covers are missing. All I have done so far is just stroke the kick starter to make sure the engine is not seized. I accept the fact that this bike won’t be ready to ride for a while, and it won’t be cheap, but I want to do it as well as can be done. I am also restoring my father’s 1978 Honda CX500. I am 76 years old, retired US Navy, retired classroom teacher.

I am glad I found this forum. Please share your experiences and good ideas about how to proceed with this restoration. Thx, Carveacre
Great finding your old bike. I had a 23 year chase finding my XS650 now called Taffy. Over 2 years later, and full overhaul I am still working to achieve a reliable daily runner. Frustrating work but I love Taffy. Looking forward to your resurrection.

I bought my 1981 XS 650 Heritage Special in Sioux Falls, SD.
First, welcome to the forum. Yes, we need pictures of the bike. An '81 is either an XS650SH (Special), or an XS650H (Special II). If it's a Heritage Special, that would make it an XS650SJ or XS650SK, 1982 or 1983. It should be easy to ID by a photograph.

2specials.png

The closer bike is an '81 Special. The one in back is a Heritage. Both of these have minor modifications.

Hey Carve,
Welcome!

Here are my '82 (foreground) and '83 Heritage Specials, for comparison.
We'll help you get your bike back in running order; make sure to ask us if you need parts before buying anything. We know sources and many of us have a backroom filled with spare parts.

Twins.jpg

Awesome - welcome - this is a great forum with guys sharing so much knowledge - it’s a lifesaver, even for once with some knowledge (me), I learned a lot on this site !

I'm only... 72 ... also toss'n $$$ at a 82' that I sold to Joe College and bought back.... and I restored my Cx500P a few years back. Plz post photos of your current projects... old guys like pictures... 😎

Attachments

• CX500P.jpg
    CX500P.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 40
Okay, I am hearing you. Several of you want me to post pictures. Too dark now, but I will post pictures tomorrow if I don’t forget. I am 76 and I forget a lot. But I must be fair to you all. Foretold is forewarned: if you look at the pictures of my bike, they will hurt your eyes. Everything that can be rusted is rusty. Everything that can be dented is dented. Everything that can be scratched is scratched. Look at my pictures at your own risk. See you back here tomorrow. Carveacre in Alpine, CA

While I have your attention, help me out with a shop manual. $30 on Amazon for the Haynes 650 Twins Owners Workshop Manual, or is there a better choice? I would not mind using a downloaded manual on my laptop. I would not mind getting a used paperback. Thank you for your consideration. Carveacre in Alpine, CA

Back