79 XS650 Starter Noise

BruceDeuce

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ever since I bought this bike when starting electronically it made like a chattering noise(not grinding). I recently had my son put a new starter in and its the same noise. Question is the sound normal? By the way it always starts no problem just makes chattering noise.

Yes and no. The starter spins a set of gear that attach to a cross shaft. This cross shaft spins a set of gears that work like the Bendix gears on a car starter.
There is a wishbone spring that gets weak. You can replace it or just tighten it.
This reguires removing the right side engine cover, Drain the oil first. Then remove the clutch. This spring is on the gears behind the clutch. I'll post a pic of the spring. To tighten the spring you just squeeze it.
Leo

Attachments

• starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 228
Yes and no. The starter spins a set of gear that attach to a cross shaft. This cross shaft spins a set of gears that work like the Bendix gears on a car starter.
There is a wishbone spring that gets weak. You can replace it or just tighten it.
This reguires removing the right side engine cover, Drain the oil first. Then remove the clutch. This spring is on the gears behind the clutch. I'll post a pic of the spring. To tighten the spring you just squeeze it.
Leo

Thanks Leo, I also found this - http://www.650motorcycles.com/XSbendix.html. Which is what your referring to. What do I have to do in order to get the clutch off? any special tools?

No special tools are really needed but some will greatly ease the task. A tool for holding the clutch hub and an impact wrench helps. I have an electric impact wrench and just wrap the hub with a rag and hold by hand. Other use tools to hold the hub and use a long breaker bar on the nut.
Look up in the XS650 TECH section. There is links to threads about home made tools. You will find many interesting tools people have made. A couple of the steel clutch plate drilled so a handle can be mounted works and if done right you can still use the plates in the clutch.
Leo

There's usually no need to replace the gear. Even a worn one will work fine once the drag clip is tightened up again. Here's a thread that explains the procedure and even gives a way to test your "fix" with a fishing scale. I just re-did mine. After about 10K miles, it was starting to grind a bit again .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

Thanks XSLeo and 5Twins for the info and the write by garyr is awesome! Im gonna tear it apart today and I will post up the results.

Well I got it apart and squeezed it in the vise, made sure I didnt oversqueeze it. Put it back together again and still the same noise. Guess I will have to look at buying a new spring.

Try squeezing it more. After squeezing you can use a gallon jug to test how much force it takes to turn the spring on the gear.
Just remember this old saying, A pints a pound the world around. This means a pint of water weighs 1 pound. So fill the jug with 5 pints of water Or 5 pounds. Tie a string to the jug and the loop of the spring. Hold the gear so the loop points out to the side, try to lift the jug. If the spring slips then squeeze it more If it holds then it's tight enough.
Also remember that you can't over tighten the spring. The tighter the better.
Leo

I will take it apart again tomorrow and maybe unsnap it and try to retighten-reshape it then snap it back on. I was also thinking about using 2 bolts on either side of the spring in the vise where its indented on each side in order to keep the lower shape of the spring if you understand what I mean.

Back