80+ regulator wiring

scum1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just want to double check some wiring on an 80+ stator that is switching front he stock combined reg/rec, to the separate chrysler/radioshack version.

I did this mod years ago on my bike and I'm just fixing a few things and making sure i have everything hooked back up right. I noticed two different diagrams one for an 81' with combined reg/rec and one for an undisclosed year using separate. Will I be copying the original diagram but just use separate components. For example I believe the wiring should be

from the regulator-->grounded body to good ground, green wire to green outer brush on stator, brown to brown inner brush on stator AND to a 12v+ fused source. similar to the combined diagram below but only separate.

the diagram of the separate components has a brush grounded, but i think my regulator sends out the pulsed ground to the excited brushes??

I've been staring at the diagrams and playing with my multimeter and I'm just trying to understand how it should WORK just so i get it.

power goes from the fuse box -----to the inner brush via brown wire----throught the stator----back out the outer brush----to the regulator via the green wire---and regulates power back to the brown wire via pulsed grounding???

the quicker i understand how it works the quicker i can see whats going on..

thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.11.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.11.38 PM.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.09.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.09.48 PM.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 136
You can use the 81 wiring diagram for your 80. The other diagram is for 70 to 79 years and cannot be used for your 80.

Your statement should read like this:

power goes from the ignition switch -----to the inner brush via brown wire----through the rotor----back out the outer brush----to the regulator via the green wire---and regulates power on the red wire

thanks for explaining that for me guys. This site is always a plethora of knowledge...:thumbsup:

Back