!978 XS650 SE

A "C" or hook spanner wrench works best for the steering stem nuts but it's best to have two, one for holding the bottom nut and a second for tightening the top nut against it. The 45-52mm size pictured below works well and is readily available off eBay for not too much money .....

n4RDUFn.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Univ...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Now a note on the notched nuts. If you examine them, you will find that one side has a bevel around it's I.D. .....

wcAGzXS.jpg

They should be installed beveled side facing beveled side. They lock together more progressively and with more "feel" this way. This also presents the flat side of the bottom nut down to better preload the bearings and the flat side of the top nut up to better support the top triple tree.

I got the front wheel off of the ground and did XSleo’s fall away test and the fork/wheel assembly felt quite stiff as if it was too tight already. I grabbed the bottom of the forks and checked for play and couldn’t feel any even with significant force applied in both directions. I do get a noticeable clank or clunk when the front brake is applied so something is loose somewhere. When I hear it, it definitely sounds like it’s coming out of the steering head.

any ideas? Thx

I got the front wheel off of the ground and did XSleo’s fall away test and the fork/wheel assembly felt quite stiff as if it was too tight already. I grabbed the bottom of the forks and checked for play and couldn’t feel any even with significant force applied in both directions. I do get a noticeable clank or clunk when the front brake is applied so something is loose somewhere. When I hear it, it definitely sounds like it’s coming out of the steering head.

any ideas? Thx

This is a great question, but, if I may, it would be best to post this in your own thread Bosco - so that it doesn't get tangled up with David Toll's discussion of his '78E.

Anyhow - I concur with the other guy's advice about the steering head bearings - and you should also check for anything loose in the forks themselves. Sometimes noises in mechanical assemblies can originate in one place and sort of "migrate" to another before they become apparent - thus masking the true cause.

Pete

With all the wiring and cables installed, it's often difficult to judge just how tight the bearings are. They may appear tighter than they really are because of all that junk hampering their movement. It may be best just to go in there and check their setting.

My God! I've just washed and pressed my overalls and cleaned the grease from under my nails and then this comes along. Right! Where's my "C" spanners - no clunky forks up front for me!
Thanks Pete, I have always appreciated your advice and support. Know a couple of Canucks and they're decent jokers too, must be a national characteristic.
Bosco, will check out this problem on the weekend and let you know if I have any success and how. Actually, I hope you solve it first and tell me!
And yes, kick off your own thread, there's obviously plenty of interest and I can use this thread to bask in the admiration of my colleagues.
Cheers

This is a great question, but, if I may, it would be best to post this in your own thread Bosco - so that it doesn't get tangled up with David Toll's discussion of his '78E.

Anyhow - I concur with the other guy's advice about the steering head bearings - and you should also check for anything loose in the forks themselves. Sometimes noises in mechanical assemblies can originate in one place and sort of "migrate" to another before they become apparent - thus masking the true cause.

Pete
Ok will start a new post. Sorry David for messing up your original post.

Back