a little help?

thatguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi, this is my first build, and i have been scouting the site for an answer but just became more and more confused. i was hoping to get some clarification on my wiring

i have a tc bros wiring harness for my bike (81 xs650). i know that it is good enough to run the bike. but, i was hoping to run a starter in my bike, a high and low beam switch, and a horn.

my question is what relays, and or switches should i look into, do i even need relays, and are all relays the same?:shrug:
also if i am not running a pma what is a decent battery to look into?

Here's the resource.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

This diagram shows the extra circuits you need broken out.
xs650allyears.jpg

The only relay you need will be the starter relay, hopefully you haven't shit canned the one that came on the bike.

I am having trouble figuring out the ignition switch , I know the brown and red wires coming from the ignition and reg rec are suppose to be connected to the positive side of the ignition switch.. Im just not sure if that's on the switch itself or somewhere coming off the starter solenoid..any help would be much appreciated as I am apparently completely illiterate when reading these wiring diagrams

In the one posted by gggGary start at the battery. Now follow the red wire over and you come to a 20 amp fuse, after the fuse the red wire goes two ways, one to rectifier, the other to the main switch. From the main switch on a brown wire to all the fuses and the regulator. Each fuse feeds a different circuit.
That's the basics of following a diagram. Just follow each wire from the fuse and you will see where each wire goes.
Leo

I know that T.C.bros sells a couple different harness's,charging system,ignition system ect.If you are attempting to do a complete rewiring,hand control's out,you can eliminate all of the relay's and flasher with a thunder heart wiring harness w/control module.You will use power from the kill switch to power the coil every thing else is explained and diagram pictured.than use your TC bro's harness for your engine ignition and charging systems.

Personally I don't think I could trust a company that claims to know the XS650 yet doesn't even know what ignition system the XS650 uses. They claim the XS650 uses a CDI, the XS650 never used a CDI. It used a TCI.
All that aside why pay so much for something you can build better for much less?
Leo

Back