a ride in the snow

Hey all, The winter is comming, are you ready to ride :bike: I'm getting the rig ready for the season, BIG hella lights are the latest add-on and god help the guy who hi-beams me :laugh: I have some yellow lense covers on the way, should cut thru the snow pretty good :D

yes, that is baddddd ass. I just threw some of those on my VW; big F-U to New England winters. Does that drain a lot of power from the XS?

scott;
hope your using a automotive battery, and ac charger. The stock charging system is not going to keep up. but way cool. guess theres room for a auto or garden tractor battery though.

scott;
hope your using a automotive battery, and ac charger. The stock charging system is not going to keep up. but way cool. guess theres room for a auto or garden tractor battery though.
Hi Guys, What do you mean the stock charging system won't be enough Roy? :wtf: O well I guess I'll have to resort to my thermonuclear accelerator (READ: atom smasher) in the sidecar :laugh: Or maybe that marine deep cycle in the trunk of the hack will do the trick, probably safer :D To tell the truth my charging system is realy good on this bike :shrug: unlike a lot (all) my other ones I've had. I put the meter on it and I'm over 13amps while at riding rpm's with lights on. But yes I'm installing a marine deep cycle that is replacing the small stock battery, it should only need a extra charge now and again. I could run a battery isolator, it would charge the main battery first and aux battery second but is overkill for what I use this thing for :bike: p.s. Roy give me a call when you got some spare time, we got to get you on the road again and I have a few good leads on deals!

Last edited:
Hey Gordon, I remember reading a post here or over on the ADVrider site about how you beefed up the mounts on your Velorex.

Do you have any pics? I am getting ready to tear mine apart for paint and want to beef up the stock frame a bit and maybe even change the wheel/axle combo. I want to add a steel plate under the car for ballast and extend it to the front for a skid plate as well.

I was thinking about modifying the clamp-ons to accept allen screws or something like that. I hope to find a decent XS by spring to match it to.

How many watts are your lights? I have a couple of 55 Watt ones i might mount to the car. I too have a deep-cycle battery inside but I dont use the bike to charge it. I just put a quick connect on it and charge it once a week or so. I also have a couple welding cables ran up to the bikes battery with a quick connect so i can use it to jump the bike if needed.

Hey Gordon, I remember reading a post here or over on the ADVrider site about how you beefed up the mounts on your Velorex.

Do you have any pics? I am getting ready to tear mine apart for paint and want to beef up the stock frame a bit and maybe even change the wheel/axle combo. I want to add a steel plate under the car for ballast and extend it to the front for a skid plate as well.

I was thinking about modifying the clamp-ons to accept allen screws or something like that. I hope to find a decent XS by spring to match it to.

How many watts are your lights? I have a couple of 55 Watt ones i might mount to the car. I too have a deep-cycle battery inside but I dont use the bike to charge it. I just put a quick connect on it and charge it once a week or so. I also have a couple welding cables ran up to the bikes battery with a quick connect so i can use it to jump the bike if needed.
Hey D, I have plenty of pictures and a youtube vid as well. You don't want to have the ballast up front because you would need too much sidecar wheel lead to have the outfit not nose dive in left hand turns. I like the idea of a skid plate and push bars maybe you could mount lights too? My lights are 55watt and pretty bright for what they are:thumbsup: I would be MORE then happy to help in any way I can :D Any questions you just ask! Looking forward to your project :thumbsup:

Scott] 13 amps with lights on, what you got a direct connection with vermont yankee in that car???
" Vermont Yankee" :laugh::laugh::laugh: I know it sounds like :bs: but it's true! I went out for over an hour the other night up in Wendell and New Salem to do some dirt roads with no street lights and had them on the whole time :yikes: I was expecting them to start to go dim and brite with the rev's of the motor but it never happend :shrug: And don't forget I'm not just running the lights on the bike but have the tail light and marker light on the sidecar too. I did not put the meter on it when I got home because it was cold and dark but I bet it was fine. Maybe when I sunk the bike under water it improved it some how :laugh: I guess it's fitting that I'm going to use a marine battery.

I did not get a chance to start pulling apart the sidecar yesterday. Since the weather was decent I had some house projects to finish and I had some welding to do on a buddies dump truck.

I did look it over a bit last night. That axle is really a bit of a "weeny". In the long run it might be just as easy to fab up a new frame and throw the Velorex one in the scrap pile.

I am thinking of using a wheel/rear spindle of a 90's Japanese car. I'd like to increase the ground clearance by a few inches as well but that will have wait to a find a bike. Amazing that there are always 1 or 2 XS's for sale on Craiglist till I start looking for a bike.

Thanks again for the inspiration Gordon.

Back