About To Buy My First Welder...need help

Nick87James

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at the Lincoln line of MIG welders, I am really interested in the 180 dual MIG Welder... Just wondering what amperage you guys use for your XS's. I just want something that is capable of doing everything I need to build a bike...
I only have 110v to work with at the moment... Thanks:thumbsup:

That looks like a nice unit. You'll be good to 140 amps on 110v. That should be good for 1/8" mild steel. If you know what you're doing, that should do most of what you need it to do on a motorcycle frame. If you need it hotter, and get access to 220v, at least you won't need to buy a new welder. Having said that, if you never plan to use it on 220, then it's a lot more expensive than a dedicated 140 amp 110v unit.

do you have any plans of getting 230v service? if not, then save your pennies and go buy a hobart handler 140. i've had mine for 5+ years and you can find them online for $500 w/ free shipping.

I'm a weld engineer and deal with all the brands regularly, and this unit is regarded as one of (if not the best) beginner welders out there for 110v only. PM me if you have any technical questions of need any specific advice as i have a lot of experience with a wide array of welders.

Lincoln makes good welders, but their smaller units have a more erratic arc than most like. Miller has AMAZING customer support but you're paying for the name with some of their less-capable units. the Hobart is a high quality MIG capable of 140 amps for short periods. Hobart and Lincoln are both owned by ITW, so internally they are VERY similar.

if you want to do GMAW, remember you'll have to get a bottle for mixed gas.

Hobart is Top of the line in mig welders. 220 volt. I haven't used the 115 V but it should work ok. Since it is a Hobart. I ran one at General Motors that was 1963 and most people had never heard of Mig welding back then. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well thanks for the advice, I have been thinking about that 180 Dual for a few days, just not sure i wanna spend close to a $1000, I was wanting to stay closer to the $500 mark.
I was also told about the difference between the tapped in and continous controls, do you guys think the continous is worth the extra money?

do you have any plans of getting 230v service? if not, then save your pennies and go buy a hobart handler 140. i've had mine for 5+ years and you can find them online for $500 w/ free shipping.

I'm a weld engineer and deal with all the brands regularly, and this unit is regarded as one of (if not the best) beginner welders out there for 110v only. PM me if you have any technical questions of need any specific advice as i have a lot of experience with a wide array of welders.

Lincoln makes good welders, but their smaller units have a more erratic arc than most like. Miller has AMAZING customer support but you're paying for the name with some of their less-capable units. the Hobart is a high quality MIG capable of 140 amps for short periods. Hobart and Lincoln are both owned by ITW, so internally they are VERY similar.

if you want to do GMAW, remember you'll have to get a bottle for mixed gas.
A+ wannabridin. Love mine. Bought mine at Tractor Supply and I think I gave just over $500 if I remember right. :thumbsup:

autoset is great for just turning it on and letting the computer do the work. all works off voltage readings, IIRC the miller does something like 1-5000 checks/sec. a bit on the low end, but still works great. that autoset is nice, and if you ONLY have 110v, it's a great machine. i'm actually looking to get one of these: http://www.airgas.com/browse/productDetail.aspx?Category=231&product=MIL907422
-autoset, dual voltage, spool gun control, yada yada. the miller lab is 2 miles from my place and a buddy is a rep there, so i can play whenever i want! i can also get that 211 for $700 brand new.

re: tap controls - great for a novice or hobbyist welder. you just look up your plate size combo and set the wire feed speed and voltage "number" and go. i have more experience welding and would like an infinite (rheostat) control where i can precisely fine tune my wfs (amperage) and voltage when not using autoset.

basically, buy the MOST welder you can afford. have a MINIMUM budget of $500, anything less than that for a new welder will get you crap. don't be scared by a 10% duty cycle, you have to pay to play for higher duties. additionally, most 110v welders max out at 20%, there's just not enough current to keep em going! those transformers heat up QUICK!

also remember if you're going to want to have nearly zero cleanup post weld, you'll be welding GMAW and you'll need a bottle of 75/25 mix shielding gas. otherwise, use FCAW (hobart comes with inner-shield/self shielded wire) and don't worry as much about joint prep. just remember, you'll need a wire wheel to clean up the slag afterwards.

also, remember, if you're welding vertically (the joint is in a vertical plane) then weld downhill with GMAW (hardwire) and uphill with FCAW. if you need details i'll be happy to elaborate on this.

I bought the Lincoln Mig-Pak 180 about 5 years ago... probably the cheapest series of Lincoln... but hey, I'm a farmer and this little welder pays itself in about a week or so... it's a great beginner box IMHO. Got it in special at about 500$ ... put flux-core in it for the big toys and plug the bottle for my little toys! It's a 220v but the mig-pak 140 is 110v and cheaper!!

Anyway... Already got an AC-225 arc welder and this little mig, but if I had to choose today a new welder to replace the 2... this is what I'll get:

http://victortechnologies.com/Thermal%20Arc%203in1/Fabricator%20211i/product_features.php

110v & 220v ... msrp at 1400$ but can get it between 1000-1100$ here maybe you can put a hand on that for less on your side of the borders!!

that thermalarc is a nice hobbyist unit, but their welders don't hold up too well in industrial settings.

I have a lincoln 180 (or something) its the low end 220v from the local home improvement center, and Im real happy with it.
Sn34ky not a pro by any means, but I will chime in. I have a real old Miller high fequency arc starter that runs off of an old licoln stick welder, and it works pretty well (and Im still adjusting to it) for the $200 I have in it

The Miller 180 is a great welder... Super easy to use, minimal adjustments, great results... I use the Hobart version... Same welder but with Hobarts name on it. I'll never use a mig again lol

I have a Miller 212 myself but I've used the Hobart mentioned above and it's probably hands down the best machine for the money....

I hear nothing but great things about the Hobart Handler 140. Wanting one for my garage. I use a 220V Snap=On mig of some size at work, and it tears ass, but I don't have that kind of cash to throw into a welder. I do know everyone that I know that has got one of them cheapo harbor freight jobs has been through the DOH! phase. Better off in a brand name. My dad has had Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller, all at one time or another, but arc welders that are well beyond the hobbyist or home garage repairman. All have performed well for years in Kentucky and West Virginia coal country, but since coal is being abolished by policy, they might have to get proven somewhere else.

ya, the autoset is just a feature that you slide the rheo to in order to tell the circuitry to read the arc instead of going with a CV style like the knob gives.

the autoset works REALLY well, especially with thin gauge materials. the tap transformer on mine just can't go low enough to really weld well on thin gauge materials. my spirit 750 exhaust was built with a LOT of tack/stitch welding unfortunately. that's why i got my ESAB miniarc 161LTS DC TIG/Stick combo (for free :-D), so i can weld on sheet and thin stuff.

Back