after market exhaust

Old thread I know but I just now saw it while searching for exhaust ideas for my cafe build. I have an 81 special, that I believe has the welded on mufflers. I would like to keep the stock headers and just replace the mufflers, so I guess my question is, where do you cut the exhaust at to remove the welded mufflers? From some of the pictures it appears to be cut right under the footpegs, is that correct? Also my bike was already set up and running pod filters when I bought it, and it does run great now. Would changing the mufflers but keeping the stock headers require a rejet, or is it a ride it and see thing? Appreciate any help and responses, and thanks in advance!

I cut mine just rear of the mount, or just fore of the muffler.....there's what, about a half inch space there? Cut close as you can just fore of where the muffler starts to gain in diameter. Sawzall and a level eye. Get the exhaust adapter that Pamco Pete suggests.
I went with the Mikesxs commando muffler, Uni pods and "see how she runs" carb adjustments. At the least, you have a baseline to compare performance.

One way to help ensure your cut is square is to tighten a hose clamp around the exhaust pipe where you want to cut and saw at its edge.

Good idea, and thank you for the replies. I had emailed Gordon Scott about having one of his 2-1 exhausts made but I havent heard back from him, so Im looking at alternatives! Does anyone know if he still makes exhausts?

Good idea, and thank you for the replies. I had emailed Gordon Scott about having one of his 2-1 exhausts made but I havent heard back from him, so Im looking at alternatives! Does anyone know if he still makes exhausts?

Has he emailed you back? Took him a little while to reply to me. He got really sick in December. But yes, he's still making exhaust :bike:

Has he emailed you back? Took him a little while to reply to me. He got really sick in December. But yes, he's still making exhaust :bike:

Yup he got back to me and is currently making my 2-1 setup! Just waiting on my muffler choice and once he has that he should be kicking it out. It appears he got the same snow storms in December that we got in Ohio, and he had some digging out to do.

Sweet! I can't make up my mind! 2-1 with a shorty muffler, or 1-1 cafe style with shorty mufflers. Decisions decisions. What made you go with the 2-1?

Sweet! I can't make up my mind! 2-1 with a shorty muffler, or 1-1 cafe style with shorty mufflers. Decisions decisions. What made you go with the 2-1?

On his website the third picture he had up under the 2-1 link was a blue cafe, and that exhaust is pretty much the exact look I want for my cafe. I went with a 2-1 low, 12inch open stainless muffler. I looked at his exhausts under the cafe link and just didnt like the kick up at the back, but the 2-1 nailed the look I am going for. A little pricey but from what I hear well worth it as far as quality, look and sound.

This adapter only needs to be done with the later one piece exhaust that you have to cut the mufflers off. On the earlier bikes the mufflers just slip on to the head pipes. These head pipes have the inner and outer pipes of the head pipes tapered together and welded. So on these older head pipes you can use any slip on muffler, no adapter needed.
Leo

Caveat: I'm new to exhaust work....

Am I correct in thinking that I'm in this situation (no adapter needed)? I actually bought the adapter and there's no way its going to fit.

I'm replacing stock exhaust (with crossover pipe) that had the threaded ends and used the threaded muffler joint nut (with asbestos gasket).

I don't have a visible inner pipe - so does the new Commando muffler simply slip (after widening split ends a bit) over the headpipe and then clamp it?

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/2178/

Thanks.

Yes, those are the early style headpipes I was talking about. They may not be welded together but in your second pic in your album, you can see the outer pipe tapers in a bit and the inner tapers out. You can see the line between the two pipes.
You may need to open the end of the mufflers a bit but slip onto the headpipes. A snug fit can be a plus. The snug fit should seal better once you get it clamped together.
One more thing. I might start the bike up without the mufflers to blow the crud out of the headers. They look to have a bunch in the ends. Don't want that stuff getting in the mufflers.
Leo

I recently picked up a 1982 Heritage Special. Some PO of this 650 had installed Burgess (Triumph-style) aftermarket mufflers.

As you can see in the linked album, he simply slid these mufflers over the long inner pipes and clamped onto to it at the welds at the end of the outer pipes. I can feel exhaust gases coming out at this junction - I suppose that should not be the case.

I assume that I need to cut off the lengthy inner pipes near the outer pipe termination... Where exactly (with respect to welds) do I need to make the cuts?

full

full

If I make the cuts at the right place, can I expect to see the separate inner and outer pipes whereby I can install the 1-1/2" - 1-3/8" muffler adapter transition piece (per PamcoPete)?

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/2170/

The 6-8" chrome sleeves covering the terminal ends of the outer pipes (Images 2 & 3 in album) are apparently stock - not sure if they can be removed or if there's any reason to - hopefully won't have to mess with them.

full

Thanks! :)

In the bottom pic, if you come forward along the head pipe you will find a weld. This is were most cut through both inner and outer pipes.
In the second pic, what diameter is the pipe at the short straight section just behind the chrome pipe? If you muffler can clamp on that section of pipe just cut the long rusty section off just behind the that weld.
They sell a set of adapters that are short sections of steel pipe. They fit one inside the other. A lot of mufflers come with this kit. That way a muffler with a 1 3/4 inlet will fit on to smaller pipes.
Leo

Leo,

Easily found the weld you mentioned.

The close proximity of the mounting bracket (to frame) to this weld and where to cut closely compares to Pete's image (Post #19).

The measurement you inquired about was taken where it tapers down just before the weld - measured 1.45". I don't think I want to clamp here, but would rather make the cut a skosh upstream of the weld and obviously downstream of that bracket.

Should I just cut through that chrome sleeve/heat shield (whatever its called) or try to remove it first? Its attached only on the front side and appears welded on the muffler end.

full

full

full

Yes. A very good point about the clamp width.

I had earlier read your comment in #42 regarding where you cut, so I figured I was on the right path. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I cut mine just rear of the mount, or just fore of the muffler.....there's what, about a half inch space there? Cut close as you can just fore of where the muffler starts to gain in diameter. Sawzall and a level eye. Get the exhaust adapter that Pamco Pete suggests. I went with the Mikesxs commando muffler

nj1639,

I have a new pair of Commandos that I will be mounting on an early style 1-piece headpipe. I may consider getting another pair of Commandos for my '82 HS. On this exhaust, I'll be dealing with cutting both inner and outer pipes and slipping the adapter in between per Pete. Can I assume you had to widen the Commando muffler ends to fit in the ~ 1-5/8" OD adapter?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just got back in from the pole barn to confirm what I have going on in there as I sometimes suffer from CRS. I have my Commandos mounted to the early style, single wall pipe on my '77, like you.....slip right on. On my '83 I have the adapter with a set of the Dunstall replica mufflers. The Dunstalls slip right on to the 1 5/8 OD adapter pipe. I'll say the sound and performance are equal to the Commandos.
The Commandos appear to be the same OD as the adapter @ 1 5/8"...... So either a smaller OD adapter has to be found or a friendly exhaust person with an expander needs to be found. Sorry for the fuck up.

The hangers are another issue that I think I'll need help with.

On the '76C, the hangers are as follows and shouldn't be too difficult to mount the Commandos by using drilled and M8 tapped metal bars (credit to 5twins!) to slide into the muffler's slot. Got the 1018 carbon steel bars from McMaster Carr that are 1/4" thick, 1/2" wide and 6" long.

DSC_0004_zps389f7436.jpg

full

However, on the '82 Heritage Special, the hanger mounting holes are vertically aligned. I'm wondering whether I can simply swap out those hangers with the style used on my '76C. Or perhaps have something custom fabricated....

DSC_0002_zpsee392add.jpg

Back