after market exhaust

Just found these '82 XS650 Muffler Brackets on eBay for $17.00.

These are apparently the stock hangers that I need...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 351
Follow-up: I'm back on this. More dumb questions...

I decided to install Standard Headpipes from a '76 on my '82 HS. My way of avoiding having to hack up the Special muffler, deal with adapter mod, etc .... Aftermarket mufflers to be installed are MikesXS Commandos.

How & where are the chrome muffler stays positioned on a Special frame? I'm assuming that the muffler stay goes on the same stud as the passenger footrest....

I'm uncertain how to properly mount the stays, especially in relation to the thin metal footrest brackets that are secured by the various Acorn Nuts. The contour of the bracket around the passenger peg stud dictates how the muffler stay can be positioned. Does the muffler stay fit under the footrest bracket?

Thanks.

848f48d1ed93d165464751e95985d300_zps46dca294.jpg

I'm having a heck of a time finding Gordon Scott, I see his posts on this site so I assume he is still doing exhausts. If you go to Gordonscottengineering.com it says he will be back in June. I left him a PM, is there a better way to reach him. Gordon you out there ?

Follow-up: I'm back on this. More dumb questions...

I decided to install Standard Headpipes from a '76 on my '82 HS. My way of avoiding having to hack up the Special muffler, deal with adapter mod, etc .... Aftermarket mufflers to be installed are MikesXS Commandos.

How & where are the chrome muffler stays positioned on a Special frame? I'm assuming that the muffler stay goes on the same stud as the passenger footrest....

I'm uncertain how to properly mount the stays, especially in relation to the thin metal footrest brackets that are secured by the various Acorn Nuts. The contour of the bracket around the passenger peg stud dictates how the muffler stay can be positioned. Does the muffler stay fit under the footrest bracket?

Thanks.

848f48d1ed93d165464751e95985d300_zps46dca294.jpg

Yes, under that beauty plate. Going with the Commandos and a set of head pipes from the '76 should work out fine. You may find only one nut/bolt will fit on the mufflers slide mount but you should be good to go.
If using the Special headers and the adapter - I found these to work well as the opening will slide over the adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunstall-Re...Parts_Accessories&hash=item540e46b29e&vxp=mtr The Commandos appear to be the same diameter as the adapter and may have to be stretched to fit.

Let me add that the chrome holder will go under the next acorn going towards the front of the bike, not under the passenger peg......at least on mine it does.

I'm having a heck of a time finding Gordon Scott, I see his posts on this site so I assume he is still doing exhausts. If you go to Gordonscottengineering.com it says he will be back in June. I left him a PM, is there a better way to reach him. Gordon you out there ?

Good luck. He hasnt responded to emails re high pipes. I have cash and for now, I guess he is too busy.

Hi,
First time on. Been reading and learning for months. I've owned 3 of these and love em. '72,'76,'80 in those years but haven't owned one in 20years. Bought an '82 Heritage Special for a Cafe project. I've got a long way to go but appreciate all the input.
Exhaust: I plan to keep it a 650 so I think 1-5/8" pipes. I've seen a beautiful RR from Europe. Who makes high pipes like these?

Attachments

• yam08032803.jpg
    yam08032803.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 410
Hey guys had a question about where I should cut my exhaust at to add 12" shorties to the headers.. I know you cut behind the mount just below the cases. But there are 2 different diameters there. There's a smaller diameter before where the mufflers weld on and a slightly larger one just after the weld. Looking for advice of where I should cut before I make a mistake. Any info is appreciated. My bike is a 1980 xs650 special

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 379
Some pics earlier in this thread were lost in a site renovation.

I've heard it opined that the larger radius bends on the Special headers flow better than the tighter radius on the standards' (and most aftermarket) pipes.

Muffler cut off of special header above a standard header.
I THINK the inner pipe ended just before where I cut the muffler off.
KIMG5440.JPG
detail standard header end
KIMG5443.JPG

couple shots showing factory vent holes in the outer pipe, do not weld these closed!
KIMG5441.JPGKIMG5444.JPG
Special header laid over a standard to compare the bends/radius'. The critical bend is the one nearest the exhaust port.
KIMG5439_01_BURST1005439_COVER.JPG
A few have reported the inner pipe collapsed nearly shut a short distance from the motor. this might have been from water getting in between the pipes and freezing several/ many times.??

Back