AGM Batteries...

Pennies Earned

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I recently splurged and got myself an AGM battery with a 2 year warranty. The battery has been working fine up until now. Well I accidentally left the lights on and drained the battery. I used jumper cables and got the bike to start but it wouldn't stay charged. I looked up AGM batteries and found that once they are ran dead they are a pain to recharge. I'm a little surprised that recharging these puppies can be such an ordeal. What happens if I decide to leave the lights on during a road trip? How do I go about charging this thing then?

I have a Yuasa maitenance free and I can kill it and it still charges. Some batteries go dead and never charge up again. Someone on here said they had a brand new one, let it sit for a couple months in the garage, went to use it and it was done.

Last edited:
You're going to have to discipline yourself to make sure you turn that light off, or link it to the key switch somehow.
Good to see you're still at that '75.....wish I could splurge for one.

correct me if i'm wrong but most batteries won't charge off of the alternator if they're ran dead. i would pull that thing out and give it a proper charge, then check to see if she's holding a charge.

if you're worried about leaving the lights on you could go with a permanent magnet charging system :shrug:

Yes I think a permanent magnet charging system is in my near future. I guess I was just surprised a little bit with these batteries. @ nj1639- Yep, still at the '75. Coming along real nicely. I'm planning on posting photos as soon as I connect the original exhaust and do some polishing.

Someone on here said they had a brand new one, let it sit for a couple months in the garage, went to use it and it was done.

That would of been me :doh:

Brand new AGM from mikes, sat for a few months, wont take a charge... tried everything!

Lesson learned i guess. Gives me a reason to get one of those new Shorais now.

The way to charge a flat agm battery is to hook it up to a standard battery in parallel, then hook it up to the charger. After a few hours, disconnect the regular battery and the agm should continue to charge until full.

Some automatic battery chargers will not charge a discharged battery that has less than 3 volts.

My daughter had a fully discharged car battery that read only 2 volts. I gave her my high tech fully automatic charger, but she said it would not charge her battery. It had the less than 3 volt interlock. I hooked up my 37 year old extremely low tech 2 amp charger and that brought her battery up to a range that the automatic charger would then function.

Sometimes the old simple technology gets the job done:)

If you left the headlight on you must have left the key on too. The headlight only gets power when the key is on. You might want to check your coils. you might have hurt them too.

Anyone here tried the TruGel Battery?
http://www.bikemaster.com/bmstrv2.nsf/Products/D0A5D51618DBEF8F862576B20074849F?opendocument

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TruGel Battery 101

BikeMaster has been working with the factory on this technology for years, and in fact they developed the first gel motorcycle battery in the world in 2004. Since then, there has been a tremendous amount of research and development, with a lot of refinement to make these batteries function with the variability of motorcycle charging systems... After all, we are asking for the battery to live in very different worlds... Some motorcycles sit for months without use and this does its own damage to the battery. Others are asked to tolerate up to 14.7 volts (the highest output of the charging systems when the engine is turning high revolutions...) for extended periods. This means that the battery must be very tolerant of over charging, under charging, high temperatures, low temperatures, high frequency vibration, low frequency vibration, high G impacts (Off Road and ATV), and everything in between.

So, how does the BikeMaster TruGel battery meet all these myriad challenges? And if you could design a better battery, what would you want it to do?

Durability:

You would want it to be durable, and survive the pounding and vibration of on and off road use in motorcycles and ATVs... And this is one of the areas where a BikeMaster TruGel battery really excels. TruGel Electrolyte with Nano-Gel Technology, because of its viscosity, will not flow nor leakage, and makes batteries safer than ever before. Even if the outer case were to crack, the Nano-Gel would not leak like a regular water acid based battery. In fact, we've seen these batteries continue to function with no apparent reduction in ability with holes drilled into the case!!!

Deep Cycling:

Deep Cycling is where the battery is discharged deeply, and then recharged again. You need a battery with the ability to recover from extended discharges time and again. You would also want the battery to survive long periods of inactivity, something that has been a KILLER of standard (wet) water based batteries... This is due to the fact that over time, the acid in the battery suffers from stratification. This is caused by "precipitation" of the sulfides in the liquid (they form crystals adhering to the plates, and building resistance), thus causing Sulfation of the Negative Plates, and Corrosion of the Positive Plates, leading to the DEATH of the battery. This also leaves the liquid in the battery in a weakened state, almost back to being water... Thus there will be very little electricity generated in the top "Weak Acid Zone", and very little charge generated in the "Sulfated Zone". And when you add in the evaporation of water from a standard battery over time... Well, what you get is a battery that barely has enough charge to light the dash lights... And will only make the starter solenoid "click" without sufficient current (cranking amps) to start the engine (We know you have been there! :)))

But, because Nano-Gel Electrolyte is very high in viscosity, the sulfides are "rigidly" held in suspension, and therefore acid stratification will not occur to the same extent, hence we can avoid the Sulfation to the negative plates and corrosion to the positive plates (at the bottom of the plates due to high acid specific gravity). Because the battery maintains 100% acid concentration, in 100% of the electrolyte, 100% of the time, the ability to use all of the electrolyte and plate surfaces, not only increase the efficiency of the battery when new, but will increase it's ability compared to a standard water battery, AND result in a very much extend battery life span.

Extreme Temperatures:

Obviously, you would also want a battery that functions well in the cold environments of the North of our country... And BikeMaster TruGel Batteries perform very well in a cold environments, the battery working limit has been extended to -40ºC (-40ºF). Far colder than anyone we know wants to ride! :))) Except for my snowmobile buddies in the Great White North...

Likewise, you would also want a battery that functions well in extreme heat too... Which here in Texas is a necessity. Again, a BikeMaster TruGel Battery by its very nature performs very well in a hot environment. Even in an environment with 50ºC (122ºF), the life span of a Bike Master TruGel Battery is double that of a conventional water battery.

Because of the above mentioned efficient utilization of the electrolyte and plates, the capacity of the battery is increased. Looking at the performance curves, the fall off of the performance is much extended. This is especially true at the later stages of the standard water battery's life, where the capacity is lowered dramatically by the loss of fluid due to evaporation in the hot environment. Therefore, the BikeMaster TruGel Battery gives not just a longer life, but a higher plateau for longer in working capacity overall, but especially so in high temperatures.

Self Discharge Rate:
You also want a battery that when not used frequently has a low self discharge rate. Again, BikeMaster TruGel batteries excel in this area. Because Nano-Gel Electrolyte will help to reduce the rate of negative plates sulfation, and therefore greatly reduces the battery self discharge rate, hence it will increase the shelf life, extending it far beyond that of a standard water battery... In fact, the battery will be able to start a motorcycle after one year (or more) sitting on the shelf. This will be a huge advantage for dealers, who can order and not worry about having to constantly keep their inventory charged, or order less, or have dead batteries... It's an advantage for Tucker Rocky as a distributor, in that they can ship batteries with far more confidence, and order quantities that make sense for them, not based on shelf life. AND, it's an advantage for the customer, who can buy with confidence knowing that the battery will have the power, and a life span that will far exceed the other batteries he has purchased and replaced time and time again, that are based on water...

Recombination:

Can I get a bit technical here? Would you like to hear about recombination? Of course you would! :D

A standard lead-acid battery is an electrical storage device that uses a reversible chemical reaction to store energy. It uses a combination of lead and lead oxide plates or grids, and an electrolyte consisting of a diluted sulfuric acid (H2SO4, @ about 35% concentration) to convert electrical energy into potential chemical energy and back again. It does this because when the two plates (the lead and the lead oxide) are immersed into the acid solution, two things happen. One, the lead plate is forced to release protons into the electrolyte, and this leaves it in an electron rich state, or negatively charged. Two, the lead oxide plate is forced to release electrons into the electrolyte, and this ends up with more protons, and this is positively charged. When you connect a load to the battery, say a starter, the electrons from the negative (lead) plate try to rush over to the positive plate (lead oxide) to balance the plates out...

The loading of the battery and this flow of elections causes the formation of lead sulfate in the electrolyte, which is deposited on the plate surfaces (almost like a Sulfate Electro Plating). The "ate" in sulfate is oxygen which is stripped from the water in the electrolyte, and once stripped from the water, it leaves free Hydrogen as a gas to escape from the battery... So, when you apply a charging current to the battery you reverse all this process, and the result is that you need oxygen to "recombine" with the hydrogen. All of this to say that...

Because TruGel Nano-Gel Electrolyte has a "three dimensional" lattice structure (because the gel is made using Silica to stiffen it, which has a "lattice structure", during the charging process, it will guide the generated oxygen horizontally toward the negative plates where the recombination process occurs with the generated hydrogen, which in turn reduces the moisture loss, and increases the sealed performance, and thus battery life.

Easy huh? :banghead:

Hope this helps, :shrug:

BikeMaster

If you left the headlight on you must have left the key on too. The headlight only gets power when the key is on. You might want to check your coils. you might have hurt them too.

Yeah the key was left on. I was able to charge the batter with another battery and a charger. Haven't checked the coils yet but it started right up and kept charge. Did seem like it wasn't running 100% though. I have brand new coils. Sure hope I didn't hurt them.

If you leave the key on and the engine not running, one set of points will be closed. This keeps power flowing thru one coil. This will over heat the coil. I did almost the same thing. Was working on the bike, needed to go in the house very quickly. Got distracted in the house. came out later. Dead battery burnt up coil. The coil about three monthes old. The battery was less than a month old, wouldn't hold a charge. Pull it out of bike charge it. Have full charge, bu the time I got it back in the bike the voltage checked at 9 volts.
Since then I'm very care full about leaving the key on.

I learned this from a customer of mine:

In short, batteries go bad because the cell places take on sulfate crystals that form from the acid solution. This lowers the potential between plates saturating them making them less able to conduct the chemical reaction that generates current.
The only way to get rid of these crystals is to send a large current through the battery but this in turn generates a lot of heat and ruins the battery. There is a product on the market called a battery saver that sends a pulse of high current through the battery to break up the crystals and and recondition the plates. I have seen them in the past and I have a customer the swears by them and claims that they increase battery life by 2X.

I hope this helped.

If you find your battery discharged, the last thing in the world to do is jump it from a car battery to start the engine. The sudden high current can damage the plates in the battery by overheating, especially a sealed battery whose plates are really close together.

A dead motorcycle battery should be brought back to life gently with a very low overnight charge of no more than 10% of the AH rating, which is typically 1.5 Amps.

Back