Another external oil filter option

CDNTX650

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Map cycles makes an inline kit for OIF Trumps and Beezers. Winter time....bored. figured hey...who doesnt want better filtration.

Kit is pretty sweet. Comes with the mount, filter, and small length of clear hose. There is two kits, a universal and this one. I liked the fitting locations better on this one. End unscrews and filter slides in. The filter is what a BSA Rocket3 takes i believe. just had to make a small L bracket.

20150123_192811.jpg

20150123_192654.jpg

a little overkill on the hose, eh? I do like it though. you could prolly mount it anywhere.
Is it aluminum? Im asking wondering if it would cool the oil ,too.

Nice job! Any plans on braided lines? Curious about drainback after engine is shut off though, maybe rotate in bracket 180 deg (just a thought)? I enjoy seeing more filtering options too....especially adapted from other models.:thumbsup:

I'll see about drain back. About half of that filter should stay full. And the clear return line to side cover should stay full. Set my back about 160 bux I think. No plans for braided line. I like the one section of clear. Then I can see what's going on.

Adding just a external filter on my 75 dropped about 5 degrees. So even if alloy I wouldn't expect much difference.
If going to all the work of modifying a side cover for a filter, adding in the plumbing for an oil cooler is nothing. Just plumb the oil out to the filter then run from the filter to a cooler, then back to engine.
Just hook in the cooler after the filter, hot oil filters easier than cool oil.
Adding a cooler like the one Mike's sells will drop oil temps around 45 to 50 degrees.
I used the cooler of an 82 Yamaha Seca, 650 turbo. It is about the same size as the one Mike's sells. I might shop around to find a cooler. Might shop Ebay or local salvage yards. Some people use the cooler from a car's power steering.
Find one a bit smaller than Mike's or mine won't hurt. 45-50 degrees is a bit much. 25-30 degrees would be better. The oil needs to get up to about 180 or so to boil out the contaminants.
The XS650 engine runs around 210-220 or so. The cooler drops 45 degrees puts the oil at 165-175. A 25 degree drop would be 185-195. That's just about right.
Leo

Yeah I was kind of keeping an eye open for a smaller guy. Be nice to get out more when she's real hot out outside still. Although our summers aren't always that hot.

It's metal. End cap is aluminum. I didn't even fill it with oil before I started it. It took 3 seconds from bone dry to see oil come down the clear hose and fill the side cover. So not to worried about drain back. I did lube the rockers and cam manually with my squirting can before hand as I hadn't run it in a few months. Not to worried about drain back. Really happy with the kit. Tidy. Filters are same price as car filters. But no biggie.

Just for the heck of it I punched power steering coolers in on Ebay. Came up with quite a few from $.00 to $49. A lot of cars just use a long piece of tubing bent into a loop.
Some have some fins on them.
I snagged a few pics. Most look like the bare tube, this one fits a 86-04 Mustang, others bent up in many shapes. The one with a finned core is from a 2002 Explorer. $30 shipped
So a bit of shopping you can find something big enough for not to much. Might find them at a good price at a local Auto Salvage yard.
Leo

Attachments

• mOidOjVJxm7_wjl6YNxH7Uw.jpg
    mOidOjVJxm7_wjl6YNxH7Uw.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 60
  • $_1.jpg
    $_1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 74
I have done a bit more research on coolers. The One Mike's sells for $85 is 4.25 inches by 6 inches or about 25.5 square inches. This is about the same as mine. should drop oil temps around 45-50 degrees.
I have looked on Ebay for other options. I found one from Briggs & Stratton, I'll show pics, Has a 4x4 inch core for 16 square inches. $29 plus shipping.
Found another that comes in several colors, pics coming, it's 3by 5.375, at 16 square inches. $27 with free shipping.
I think both of these would be better than Mike's, price is a biggie, but the smaller size should work out very well.
The Briggs cooler has hose barbs, makes easy plumbing. The other has banjo bolts. Will need to come up with hose barbs to fit. No real problem.
Just a guesstimate here but the 25 sq/in cooler gives 50 degree drop, so 50 divided by 25 is 2 degrees per sq/in. So the 16 sq/in coolers should give about 32 degrees of drop.
I think that is about ideal.
It looks like the Briggs cooler uses 3/8 in hoses, plenty of oil flow. The other one looks nicer, all alloy body but not sure of the size of oil passage. It may not flow enough oil to properly lube the engine.
I think i'll get one of the Briggs coolers and experiment.
The pic #2 is the Briggs. Looks to be very similar in design to Mike's just smaller. A very good design, oil flows into one end, through all the sections and out the other side. this design cools better than the Ford cooler I posted earlier. That style oil flows through a tube and the fins draw the heat away. works ok but won't cool quite as much.
The pic #1 is the other style I found. From other sellers it can be gotten in a kit with lines and mounts for $19.99 plus $19.99 shipping.
Leo

Attachments

• $_26.jpg
    $_26.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20140702195917-b63aa1a0-me.jpg
    20140702195917-b63aa1a0-me.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 69
Back