Another XS Chop build

Dustinj

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'll put my build thread here, picked up an 83 special for cheap. I thought the motor was in a little better shape but I was going to change out the ignition and alternator any way. Need carbs and a few other little things. I'm going to move away from the all black look. It does look awesome and is much cheaper but I'm going to try to clean up the chrome wheels polish the engine covers and a decent paint job on the tank and chrome rear fender. Vintage tread tires. Nothing too far out of the box but a good clean chop that I can ride the shit out of.
Here's where I started
775A69B6-5422-4B3D-9D27-768A7D3E8829_zpsyu50qt4q.jpg

368CB369-1FE5-4702-BB74-E568DBB93AA3_zpskzsu3rzh.jpg

Thanks man. Got a little more mockup done today. Tank is of unknown origin. Got it off The bay a few years ago. I always wanted to use it on a triumph and run as is but oh well.
FA62C797-CAA8-4DA2-9063-2ECD7B55CC58_zpsnbwyehly.jpg

DDD5E92D-C185-4DFF-8F3A-18EBD0AD17C2_zpsfhdexmtw.jpg

Ignore the bars. Zombie t bars should be here next week. The goal with this bike is to get it on the road cheap and build as i go and change things. Going to stay the same basic look but paint will come later. Likely from old school helmets Josh, chica rear fender and custom pipes by me. The Pma/pamco carbs blew a bunch of my budget pretty quick.

Thanks. I do too. I need to get my tires on so I can really get a feel for the stance. There's just something bugging me. I thinks it's that tiny rear tire. Going 4.00-16 on the back and 3.00-19 on the front.

dustinj, I just put a 130 on my winter project, and I have got a feel for the thing. Now it is rear fender and, as Airwolkie says, the seat will make all the difference, and the nike will come alive.

ANLAF

Yea I'll get the tires and seat on and rear fender then see how it looks. I want the front end to look tall. I'm going for a 60's lane splitter vibe.

I appreciate it. That's why I'm here. I'm doing that thing where I bought the bars that I love and now re thinking them. I've seen some with a forward bend. It looked awkward to me at first but I'm thinking if the look doesn't quite come around like I want it to I may have the bars bent forward a hair.

i dig it man. like the direction it is heading. as far as the bars go, rather than bending them what if you took a little off each end and make it a little narrower. maybe match the rear section's width or something. what kind of seat are you going for?

i dig it man. like the direction it is heading. as far as the bars go, rather than bending them what if you took a little off each end and make it a little narrower. maybe match the rear section's width or something. what kind of seat are you going for?

I was thinking about that as well with the bars. I'm undecided on the seat. If it's a sprung solo it will sit very low on the frame but possibly a frame mounted seat.

I was thinking about that as well with the bars. I'm undecided on the seat. If it's a sprung solo it will sit very low on the frame but possibly a frame mounted seat.

If you go short springs keep in mind rear fender clearance. You my put a dent in it when the seat hits it.

Back