any Goldwingers in here

I recall about this time in 1974, the shop truck pulled into the back lot, the shop owner excitedly jumped out exclaiming "We got the first one!". Of the crated bikes loaded on there, was one that was significantly larger than the others.

The shop owner wanted me to assemble that beast now, tonight, have it ready for tomorrow.

Had no forewarning, didn't know what this thing was. I wasn't part of the 'sales' loop.
Cold cocked by a large box.

So, I spent most of the night assembling that thing, scratching my head over how unusual and different it was. The gas tank was a storage area, and the real gas tank was under the seat??? Four cylinder, opposed, liquid-cooled, like a V-dub/Subaru engine. We don't stock coolant here?!?? Shaft drive??? Overall big, heavy, and really different.

Test ride time, it started and ran with no difficulty, unlike other bikes that needed some twiddly to get them to run right. Took off down the street, the sensation was unbelieveably different. So quiet, so smooth, felt like I was being pulled by a tow rope, instead of being pushed by a vibrating growler. Like riding a two-wheel car. As unusual and different as it was, it was just too strange to get to like it at first. I wonder if these things will catch on?

Saw this at the Breast cancer foundation ride last Sat., TwoMany.
So I'd say not only did they catch on but do a fine job also.

Attachments

• DSCN5660.jpg
    DSCN5660.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 128
Haha, yeah, 'Iron Butt' Gullwing, with a trailer hitch!
We never saw that coming. There WAS talk of sidecar setups.
All-day, all-week cruises are quite doable on those things.

... owners were crying for pieces to load 'em up...

No joke! Like in Mikeinnh's pic, we decked those things out pretty heavily. Full Vetter fairings with legshields, Cyclesound stereos, floorboards, crash guards, Hondaline paint-matched luggage, wraparound lighted bumper, ...etc. The sales guys loved 'em. But, they were predicting that the Hondamatics would be the big sellers. Go figure...

Saw this at the Breast cancer foundation ride last Sat., TwoMany.
So I'd say not only did they catch on but do a fine job also.

I like that cooler rack. Looks like the one I made for my bike.

Attachments

• 20150808_111104.jpg
    20150808_111104.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20150806_192120.jpg
    20150806_192120.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 20150904_155619.jpg
    20150904_155619.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 113
Got this POS for free a couple weeks ago.

411601131.jpg

Stripped it down, put a Guzzi fender on the back that was left over from a custom job, and took it to the car wash....

411607825.jpg

Stuck a Virago tail light on it and some bullet signals with the dual elements wired together for brightness. Added some pipes I had laying around

411747850.jpg

Got it about roadworthy, in spite of the butt ugly seat. It's a 77. I would not have bothered if it were a few years newer, too much expensive complication. Price one of those electric fuel pumps sometime and your heart medicine will earn it's cost.

Back