Any interested buyers?

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me start out by saying that I really don't want to sell my 650, and I am in no rush to do so. It is a 1981 "special II" and it was my first bike. I've had it since the Fall of 2008, and it's got a lot of sentimental value to me. However, after picking it up from the shop today (new rear wheel bearings/seals/collar), and also a recent bike upgrade, I've realized that I am just not going to be able to put in the time/effort to maintain it the way it should be maintained, especially since I have the other bike now.

My hope is that someone here on this forum would be interested in giving it a good home. The bike runs just fine, and doesn't have any major issues, just some minor things here and there. (We can discuss details later) For now, I just want to get a feel and see if anyone is interested. I live in northern Virginia, about 25 miles from D.C...

Please let me know if you are interested and want to talk.

Pictures speak louder than words. Of course we know what a 650 looks like, but we want to see yours. And a price?

I would feel terrible getting rid of it for anything less than $1500. Maybe I'm too stubborn, but if nobody is interested for that price then I will just hold on to it.

PROS:

Garage kept for the last 2 years, kept under a cover for the 6 before that.

October, 2014
-New air filters installed

April 1st, 2015
-New Front and rear tires installed- Michelin Commander II's
-Complete carb rebuild and sync
-New brake pads and the brake system bleed.

April, 2015
-New wiring system installed

May, 2015
-New shift shaft installed
-New clutch assembly installed
-New gear change lever installed
-New clutch cable, tach cable, and throttle cable installed
-New seat cover installed

November, 2015
-New spark plugs and caps installed
-New oil filter installed and fresh oil change

July, 2016
-New battery- Duralast power sports (sealed type)
-New rear wheel bearings/seals/collar installed

*I have receipts for most of the above parts

CONS:

Electric start doesn't start bike. Kick start only. Starter relay still works, I can show you the "screwdriver" test, but I have been told on here it's probably a loss of ground connection.

LH mirror needs to be glued back on. I have it sitting in a drawer.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 163
:umm: I like your num plate ,antique normally means 100 yrs the xs is getting old but not that old ,just seems like it at times , good luck with your sale (here in oz would get your $4000)

:umm: I like your num plate ,antique normally means 100 yrs the xs is getting old but not that old ,just seems like it at times , good luck with your sale (here in oz would get your $4000)

Thanks. In Virginia, USA the minimum is 25 model years for antique plates :bike:

Back