Any tips for removing motor solo?

It's lonely guy who can't find a buddy to help him pull his motor. Yeah I have lost patience and done it myself the stupid way and always regret it the next day too. It was that one high side at speed............... OK maybe 2 or 3, one tries to forget.

I've pulled a couple of engines by myself...sissor jacks help a lot.

I also like to do things the easy way. Been wrenching for 27 years. I always tell the younger guys, "work smarter, not harder". If you're down to engine and frame, lay engine down and support it, and remove frame from engine. That's how I put it back in too after paint. No muss, no fuss, no scratches. Reminds of the joke about the young bull and the old bull standing on the hill looking down at all the cows. Young bull says,"Let's run down there and screw a couple of cows!" Old bull replies,"Lets WALK down there and screw 'em all."

Don't be afraid to lay on the frame and let the frame take some of the weight and not your back. And use a flat, wide wooden board between the sissor jack and the bottom of your engine.

I tipped mine over onto its right side onto an old tire. So I wasn't too nervous about the engine getting hurt. Undid bolts and took the frame off the engine. Put it on the reverse way. Was a little harder. Wish I'd have known that once you get that long bottom bolt through, which goes all the way across, you're in like Flynn.
Anyway, not 95 years old, but 51, 5 foot 2 tall, and female - so "muscling" it out is not an option. Had to do it myself though, no moto-buddies in town. You do what you gotta do. Ramps and levers are our friends.
Not sure I will be able to do it myself again through, when it comes back apart for paint etc. Maybe!

Sure you can do it again, em! In fact you can lift that slug with your fingertips! All you need is a couple of ceiling hooks (or open rafters), a couple of bar end straps with a loop on each end from a tie down kit, and a pair of ratchet tie downs. Set the scoot on a bike stand or the center stand. Pull all the motor mounts, insert bolts through the front and rear mount holes in the motor, and hook a bar end strap to each end of each bolt. Hang the ratchet tie downs about 3' apart and hook a tie down to each strap, leading both off to the same (either) side of the frame. Apply a little lift, and wiggle the motor free of the frame. Scoot the frame to the side a bit and roll it away. Pics and details in the forthcoming issue of the Yamaha 650 Society News.

Would love to see that. I was thinking of doing a similar thing, only with straps attached to the frame. (using the tip over and take frame off of engine method)
Just to keep the weight of the frame suspended from that rafter (in carport in my case) rather than me having to support the entire weight while wiggling it around.

That sounds like a great way though, what you described!

PS: I just re-read what you described above, and it sounds really do-able.
PPS: a Youtube video of the method would be great!

Last edited:
Sorry, em, I don't do videos or Youtube, but video really isn't needed, it's a simple drill. Just be sure each rafter or ceiling hook will hold more than 80 lbs. You can use a big washer on each end of the bolts to keep the straps from slipping off. They don't tend to do that once weight is on them, but a little insurance never hurts. Just slide the straps a bit on the tie down hooks if the motor starts to list when you have it hanging free. One advantage to hanging the motor rather than the frame is that once the frame is out of the way you can move a flat cart under the motor and let it right down with no ramps, lifting, or other horsing around, or set a work table under it if you plan to work on it right where it is; but there are plenty of ways to skin this cat without making the chiropractor any richer!

Remember: Age and treachery always prevail over youth and strength.

Did it at 63 and reinstalled by myself. The KEY is having a platform to set it on, that is the same height, no lowering to the floor, a laterial move only. 5'8" 190 pound old male.

Sorry, em, I don't do videos or Youtube, but video really isn't needed, it's a simple drill. Just be sure each rafter or ceiling hook will hold more than 80 lbs. You can use a big washer on each end of the bolts to keep the straps from slipping off. They don't tend to do that once weight is on them, but a little insurance never hurts. Just slide the straps a bit on the tie down hooks if the motor starts to list when you have it hanging free. One advantage to hanging the motor rather than the frame is that once the frame is out of the way you can move a flat cart under the motor and let it right down with no ramps, lifting, or other horsing around, or set a work table under it if you plan to work on it right where it is; but there are plenty of ways to skin this cat without making the chiropractor any richer!

Remember: Age and treachery always prevail over youth and strength.

well thanks for the idea, and for the extra tips.
:)

i didn't think the motor was too hard to handle, i just grabbed the kicker and exhaust port, yanked and eased to the ground where i had some blankets for padding. i actually found it was much harder transporting the motor with 2 people - well, it was much harder transporting the motor with my old lady helping... i'm 27 but i got a shitty back (compressed disks, scoliosis, narrowing of the lower spine) so if i can do it solo, i think most can

Don't forget, almost all your lifting power should come from the back. Use an abrupt twisting/jerk motion. The spine is the strongest muscle in the body.

Double Gear Come-along, a few straps and a over head beam

Attachments

• P1016810.jpg
    P1016810.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 86
P1000692.jpg

And another double pulley;
petzl_gemini_09.jpg

is the bottom pulley I used. a rope or a spanset (sling) I wrapped around the long bolt and the medium engine mount bolts(visible on the red scotch pad), I just wrapped around both ends of the bolts, as soon as it's loaded, the sling won't move. I grabbed the rear engine and the front higher engine mount.

Then a nice (thanks Netto) scissor style motorcycle lift to set the motor on, and roll to the table, are all I needed to do it solo on sunday. Once it's secured to something, lifting is easier

So, if any of this makes sense what I did was
1. rigged a double pulley right above my bike. grabbed the motor, lifted it with the compound system. wrapped the rope around a tree (clove hitch with a bite), rolled my motorcycle lift under the load, lowered it onto the lift while still being attached to the pulleys, rolled the lift to my table, took tension back on my lifting rope, and lifted ;physically grabbed and lifted the motor onto the table.

I'm 40somthing

jaz

I'm thinking about laying mine on it's side; undoing all the bolts/ then taking frame off engine? will it hurt the engine at all to have it laying on it's side?

Be sure the starter is off. It should already be drained of oil. An old tire on the ground as someone already said. Lay the bike over with the motor over the tire, lift the frame off the engine. It is a LOT easier to do this with a BARE frame, no forks or wheels.

Be sure the starter is off. It should already be drained of oil. An old tire on the ground as someone already said. Lay the bike over with the motor over the tire, lift the frame off the engine. It is a LOT easier to do this with a BARE frame, no forks or wheels.

I took off the forks , wheels yesterday, starter is still on it..

Back