Anyone running crash bars?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience running crash bars, and if they would recommend them? I'm a fairly new rider, looking for all the help I can get. Do these really help when it's time to lay it down?

thanks!

Aaron

I wouldn't recommend them because they are ugly. They may help your bike when you lay it over, but I don't think they are going to do much for you. I would only use them on a Beemer to protect the heads.

I don't run with crash bars so I don't have any experience with them on a lay down. I have been down a few times I think they would help.

They seem like a dumb idea until your lying on the ground watching oil pour out of your bikes crankcase. That being said I dont have them on my bike. I did run them on my XS360 when I was younger and Im sure they saved it. Its a risk for sure but one Ive so far been willing to take.

I have a large pile of crash bars I have taken off of used bikes I bought. My adhoc survey says most of them were "used" being either bent or with rash or both. I don't believe I have ever bought an XS650 with all 4 turn signals that were unwounded. I don't run em because they are ugly.

They might turn a simple fall over into a bent frame. I've gone down easy a couple of times when I was a beginner with no damage to the bike or me, without one.

I had them on my 80 Special and attached highway pegs to them, nice feature for long rides. I also went down once with them on and they saved my foot from being crushed under the bike. I agree that they are ugly, but they do have their utility.

Yeah, they're ugly but I run them on 2 of my XSs because they work. And I proved it. The rear set even saved my plastic saddlebags.

I searched forever to find crash bars I liked. Bought several I didn't like. Many of the smaller crash bars will put a kink in the tach cable so avoid those unless you're blocking your tach drive anyway. Those with straight bars on the side are easier to mount highway pegs on but are easier to drag when cornering.

And they're great for mounting turn signals and aux driving lights.

But you might want to consider those hardened steel rods the sport bike riders are using now. They work, look better and don't take up near so much space.

Can you tell me where you found them? I have been looking for some time and cannot find any. I ride a 1980 650 Special

Yeah, they're ugly but I run them on 2 of my XSs because they work. And I proved it. The rear set even saved my plastic saddlebags.

I searched forever to find crash bars I liked. Bought several I didn't like. Many of the smaller crash bars will put a kink in the tach cable so avoid those unless you're blocking your tach drive anyway. Those with straight bars on the side are easier to mount highway pegs on but are easier to drag when cornering.

And they're great for mounting turn signals and aux driving lights.

But you might want to consider those hardened steel rods the sport bike riders are using now. They work, look better and don't take up near so much space.
Recycle Bill:

Where can I find them, I want them for the front and back too.

Thanks in advance,
Pyrobooster

I got them, won't help in a hard crash but saves stuff in a tip over and gives lights and highway pegs a good mounting spot

Attachments

• S6300132.jpg
    S6300132.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 571
I just got a set of correct NOS crash bars for my 82 Special off the bay for cheap. The seller said they had some shelf wear but I don't see it. They look brand new. I may be adding some highway pegs on them. I also have a rear luggage rack and /or sissy bar I may install.
Yea, it may give it some of the ugly factor but it's hard to kill the cool factor of these bikes. I mostly use my bike for errands around town so I want the utility. I may even add some leather saddle bags that can come on and off.
I just got the bike painted so I need to get the camera out and take some before pics before I do anything else.

Crash bars in the winter.

Cut 1/4" plywood to fit each side of the crash bar with the center open for engine cooling. The plywood will block wind to your legs and direct warm engine heat around your lower body.

A blanket can be split around the front of the tank and attached to the crash bars. Roll the top over the tank and tie around your waist. This further protects the legs from cold air.

If a windshield is coupled with the directed air, the upper body gets more engine heat but I hate riding with windshields.

Tom Graham

Back