Bar end signals ? Thoughts!

Paleomechanic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m considering “ streamlining “ the bike little bit by changing to more of a 1960s desert sled headlight of the era. This of course has me considering the turn signals. Wondering if the very bright LED signals for bar ends are appropriate, and work to peoples satisfaction? I’d like feedback if anyone cares to share their experiences?

Thanks everyone !

Hi everyone!

I’m considering “ streamlining “ the bike little bit by changing to more of a 1960s desert sled headlight of the era. This of course has me considering the turn signals. Wondering if the very bright LED signals for bar ends are appropriate, and work to peoples satisfaction? I’d like feedback if anyone cares to share their experiences?

Thanks everyone !
Hi Paleo... I have Kellermann Bullet Atto pin-lights on my newly acquired SG. They are miniscule but very bright and therefore very visible. They are not bar-end lights, however. Mine are mounted on a little bracket on the lower triple. They are so small as to be almost invisible. The only real drawback that I see is that they are forward-facing, so do not offer 180* visibility. On the rear, the SG has Motogadget M-Blaze signal lights; again, very bright, nice amber colour and full 180* visibility. They are smaller than a quarter ($0.25) in diameter. Love them both. Looks visually like you have no signal indicators yet you have super-visible ones.

Last edited:
I considered these on my build, but I thought they'd get broken all the time being on the end of the bars. How many times do you hit the end of your bars on something?

Because of all the crazy drivers on the road, I want my signal lights to be very visible. I’m not so concerned about location as long as visibility is goid. The signals on my XS are just OK. I may look for a better set over the winter.

I never gave the small turn signals a thought, I like retro look and thought they can't be bright enough. One day a bike was in front of me on my way to breakfast. He signaled to turn into a gas station, he had the small lights and they were BRIGHT in the daytime. So, I followed him into the station to tell him how shocked I was at the brightness of those lights. He said thanks, said he just installed them and wasn't quite sure about them till I mentioned it.

I considered these on my build, but I thought they'd get broken all the time being on the end of the bars. How many times do you hit the end of your bars on something?
Good question ! Part of the reason I’m asking . I’ve looked a few that are polycarbonate lens and aluminum bodies that seem pretty robust , like the moto gadget ones.

I just mounted these on my recent build and they Seem pretty bright. I do like the way they “tuck in” almost invisible. IMG_6713.jpeg

Good question ! Part of the reason I’m asking . I’ve looked a few that are polycarbonate lens and aluminum bodies that seem pretty robust , like the moto gadget ones.
I wouldn't put bar-end lights on a bike that was likely to get dropped at one point or another (ie, an off-road bike). If it was a pure road-bike and got dropped, I suspect there would be more substantial concerns than damaged bar-end lights!

What about fitting the indicators to the handlebar, just inboard of the clutch/ brake lever perch? Some XT models had that. This location would be more protected than bar end mounted lights. Ser attached picture of an XT500 light. Surely, smaller aftermarket lights could be fitted in a similar way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124-083945.png
    Screenshot_20231124-083945.png
    381.4 KB · Views: 18
After seeing this post I started looking on line for options to “upgrade” my turn signals. It should not have been a surprise but the nice stuff is really expensive so I may end up leaving it alone. I will however keep my eyes open in the used marketplace.

On the cheap and trashy end of the spectrum.
I spotted these recently at O' Reilly. 3/4" od. Don't know if they would squeeze inside 7/8 inch bars? Durability is also questionable, but at 12 bucks a pop...

One of my deep sorrows comes from the law requiring turn signals, as my finger works just fine...honestly since (1973??) I had been obliged to pay for and fix this stuff, and it's on the bikes, but also honestly I have never tried the switch. I will admit that since the beanie law makes it difficult to actually look, the silly lights and mirrors may be a 1/2azd fix... but not for me. I moved the blinkiebits to within the minimum clearance to centerline, ie 4", that way they won't bother anybody. Best of luck..y'all are a 'nuther generation..

I have MOTOGADGET BAR END Units and M.Gadget mini indicators mounted discretely under my seat tail unit.
View attachment 255825
View attachment 255826

Some videos of them in action...... They are very BRIGHT!

Those bar end signals are cool! I’d like those on my bike but then the bar end mirrors would have to go. I like the front and rear visibility. Are they annoying (too bright) for the rider at night?

Last edited:
There are/is Lux and lumens.
Bright pin points or broad spread .

Tucking these things in makes them invisible.

Look at many new cars turn signals. They are next to the headlight lens.

Side views as in a four way stop, they are "off" to the opposing rider.

Look around to see what is real.

cliff

I simply assume that other rollers, cars trucks, skateboards, birds, cow, and pigs are trying to kill me. If I give turn signals they will know which way to swerve so they can kill me say they did not see ... all rollers are target enemy. Don't play fair, evade! (and LOUD pipes are good) Actually, if the traffic density is enough that we must hope the other guy's paying attention and gives a chit about you, then it might be better to stop at the bar until traffic becomes safe. Look around is very important...trusting the finks in cages to give the slightest attention to your blinkiebits maybe not so very smart policy. Keeping away from "them" maybe better. The little lights do look nice though, and I occasionally polish them.

Back