Avon MK II tire question

arod_1

XS650 Fan
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My bike came with a set of Avon MK II tires. Back is 5.00-16 and front is 3.50-19. Neither kickstand will work well without a 2 x 4 underneath it. The rear shocks measure 13 3/8 eye to eye. Do these tires have a taller side wall than the stock sizes? Would a different set of tires correct this problem?

Thanks in advance-

Thanks Fred. That was my initial thought, but the 13 3/16 length seems very prevalent on the Mikes XS website. My service manual doesn't really say. Based on what i'm seeing, the 11.5 inch would be correct.

arod, the OE shocks are 12.75" eye-to-eye. If you want decent handling you'll leave the back end high.

Thanks for the info. Leaving them as is would be the inexpensive route also. I can live with usiing a board under the center stand around the garage. Might have to mod something for the sidestand though. It's not very stable the way it is.

- - - Might have to mod something for the sidestand though. It's not very stable the way it is.

Hi arod,
before I added the sidecar I carried a mebbe 3" square aluminum plate to put under the sidestand to stop it sinking into soft ground.
It had a cord that looped around the mirror stem as a reminder and retrieval system.
You could make one out of thick plywood to alleviate your sidestand's stability problem?

... Might have to mod something for the sidestand though. It's not very stable the way it is.

The upper left searchbox used to have a faint grey "Google custom search" phrase inside it. I haven't seen that for awhile. But, using that searchbox, try searches on these terms:

"bent frame kickstand"
"bent frame side stand"

Some of those threads may give you ideas on tweaking your sidestand...

Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions. I had an old Yokohama on a mag in the shed. I aired it up and measured the radius 12.25 inches. The Avon is 13.0. Of course the Avon is new and the Yokohama is bald, but that gives me prolly 3/8 of an inch. Also the shock bushings I noticed are both a size too big thats another 1/4 inch plus the longer shocks about another 7/16. Pretty easy to find an inch of extra height. Gonna have to make some kind of mod.

Thanks again.....

On tires with a 5.00 or 3.50 width they have an aspect ratio of 100. Or the height of the tire from bead to tread is 100% of the width. Most metric sized tires are not 100 aspect ratio. The second number in the tire size is the aspect ratio.
A metric tire in the same width won't stand quite as tall as a inch size tire. Like a 130/90-16 is about 25.2 inches tall. A 5.00-16 is about 26 inches tall. About 1/8 inch difference in width but about .8 inch in height.
Leo

Interesting tidbit about the 100% aspect ratio on inch size tires. I learned something today. Thanks Leo. The front tire is an inch size also, so that may be part of the problem too.

I think I have multiple contributors to my kickstand problem. The sum of them all doesn't allow me to use my center stand without a helper and makes the sidestand shaky at best.

Arod

On my 81 the side stand wasn't so much short but would sink into soft areas, like fresh pavement or dirt. I had some 3/4 inch washers. I sat one under the stand on a flat surface and welded it in place. This is something you can try. You can use several large washers or cut a chunk out of heavier steel. Like 1/4, 3/8 inch stuff. Try several thicknesses before doing anything permanent.
Leo

I will definitely try your suggestion when I get my final tires and shock bushings in place. I plan to change to a more modern style street tire with a litle bit lower profile. Don't want to mess with it much until then.

You can see in the picture I have a 2 x 4 under the center stand. The tire is just barely off the ground. So I have a ways to go.

My plan for this bike is to keep as many of the original finishes I can in place. I want it to look like the antique it is. I will shine them up, but not cover them. I do plan to update to LED lighting for all lights, and would like to have the rear turn signals function as brake lights. But that is another thread and is probably already documented here.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do appreciate the help.

Arod....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 116
Hi arod,
you say the 5"-16 tire is new but is it new or just unworn?
Old tires get hard and lose their grip even if they look great.
Bought a very low mileage 1980 XS650 back in 2004 that still had it's original Yokohamas on it.
Those tires looked perfect but rode real scary.
Had a conversation with my son:-
"The bike I bought on your behalf runs real nice but the tires gotta go"
"But they look perfect"
"Try it round the block and see how they ride?"
"Those tires gonna go before I ride that bike anywhere!"
Rear flashers as brake lights?
There's a ~$20 3-way/2 way trailer light module to do that, find it at NAPA.
Will you need to switch the amber signal lenses for red ones to be legal?

I don't know about other states but here in NY any lights that are used as a tail light or brake light need to be red. Amber or red is ok for turns.
So if you convert the turns to running and brake lights the rear turn lenses need to be red.
Leo

Hey Fred,

Totally agree on the tire age thing. Mine have a date code molded into the side of the tires. Back made in the 2nd week of 2010 and front made in the 20th week of 2010. They have been in my shed for the last 3 years, so have had zero UV exposure which is a big contributor to plastic and rubber degradation. I plan to change them anyway as they are just not my cup of tea. I think I can do much better performance and safety wise.

Thanks both of you for the tips on the lights. I don't know what the laws are here, but my plan was to go with red signals on the rear. I have the old signals, but the PO cut the wires right at the end of the mounting stud. I have looked for the terminals to make new wires, but haven't found that type. I'm sure I could make something work, but my plan is to buy new LED lights for all four corners. So I'll buy reds for the back and amber for the front. Next question; If I buy the special LED flasher and the parts store converter box for the rear signal/ brake conversion, will I still need to install resistors?

Thanks for the help you guys.... Greatly appreciated.

Arod...

Attachments

• DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 126
Thanks both of you for the tips on the lights. I don't know what the laws are here, but my plan was to go with red signals on the rear. I have the old signals, but the PO cut the wires right at the end of the mounting stud. I have looked for the terminals to make new wires, but haven't found that type. I'm sure I could make something work, but my plan is to buy new LED lights for all four corners. So I'll buy reds for the back and amber for the front. Next question; If I buy the special LED flasher and the parts store converter box for the rear signal/ brake conversion, will I still need to install resistors?

Thanks for the help you guys.... Greatly appreciated.

Arod...

Hi Arod,
I've managed to re-wire stock signals that have been cropped like that.
You just have to thread new wire through the lamp stem, salvage the lamp contact button from the cropped wire and solder it onto the new wire.
Here's a source for red signal lenses:-
https://www.mikesxs.net/products-31.html#products
Item #11-2124
I'm not sanguine about LEDs in flashers because you need to switch away from the stock flasher unit to use them and they ain't on long enough to deplete the battery.
Not sure if the converter unit works on LEDs but it worked just fine with the incandescent flasher bulbs on my son's bike.

Hey Fred,
Totally agree on the tire age thing. Mine have a date code molded into the side of the tires. Back made in the 2nd week of 2010 and front made in the 20th week of 2010. They have been in my shed for the last 3 years, so have had zero UV exposure which is a big contributor to plastic and rubber degradation. I plan to change them anyway as they are just not my cup of tea. I think I can do much better performance and safety wise. - - -

Hi arod,
so the dates are good and the tires are largely unworn, eh?
You may not be aware of this but the only requirement of any tire on a sidecar rig is that it has a legal amount of tread and holds air.
I'd make you an offer for them if the shipping cost wouldn't kill the deal.

Back