avon safety mileage 400-19 up front?

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Looking to get some safety mileage 400-19 tires for up front to go with the safety mileage 500-16 in the rear. Probably is, Avon clearly says the 400-19 is meant for the rear. I even contacted the customer service department and got some knucklehead who initially told me "we don't make those tires anymore". I corrected him and proceeded to tell me that those are rear tires. No sh!t- I could see that on their web page, that they were listed as rear tires. I see these mounted up front all the time. Is this safe? Is this recommended? Should I swap the rotation direction on them?
I don't really want the speedmaster front tires because I don't like the tread and I wanted something chunkier. I suppose I could go with a different brand up front- maybe a dunlop K70 or something bigger. THanks for the help.

As a general rule tires are mounted backwards from each other depending on whether they are on the front or the rear. If you look at the sidewalls of a tire that can be mounted on the front or the rear you will see 2 sets of arrows. The front tire's main job is braking traction and the rear tire's job is forward traction.

Safe and very often done. Reasons stated above for reversing rotation are sound advice, however you can safely run it in the same direction of the rear. I have a rear 130/90-16 Michelin commander on the front of my Road Star now. It's reverse rotation mounted, but I know of several that are not.

Back