Back at it again... Carbs to lean (1980)

Good to know.

Working on the choke right now. In the carb its needing me to remove the choke plungers before I spray cleaner. As I removed the choke rod, a spring went flying. I wasn't expecting it, and I know I won't find it with how tiny it is. The other spring is still here, though severly bent...How important are they? from what I am seeing, they look to be the springs that keep the choke in the choke- on position...

Replacement balls and springs can be had for free from a zirk fitting, just lightly drill the end to release the ball and spring.

It just happens that the ball and spring in a zerk fitting are the right size, use some grease as the zerk springs are not rust proofed.

I am now approaching the part where I set the float height. It seems rather straight forward? but I have read plenty of threads on issues relating to float height.

If I am reading correctly, I just need to set the float height to 22mm (plastic floats) and I should be good right?

So looking for some 2 cents. From my tank I have 1 petcock, running to a fuel line, running into a 2 way splitter that goes to each carb.

I hooked up my tank, to my carbs (which are close to fully dissembled, no rubber, no bottom bowl covers). I wanted to see how it would work.....would the fuel flow freely? or would it not.

A few drips of gas came out when I turn the petock on, but other than that it nothing came out.

I think this is normal right? i want to double check, make sure this is how it is suppose to be, and not something clogging the fuel line that leads to the carbs...

Update, after reading a bunch of threads related to gas-to-carb. I realized that since I was testing with a low amount of gas, I need to put the petcok into prime/reverse. Once I did so, the fuel flowed smoothly.

Glad I didn't have to replace the fuel lines.

so now i'm trying to set the float heights, and i'm pretty sure i'm reading everything correctly....

"For early BS34
carbs with brass floats, a float height of 27.3 mm. +/-1 mm. is specified.
For later units with plastic floats, 22 mm. +/-1mm.
is given."

I have the plastic floats. and I measured with my cailper from where the gasket would normally sit, and measuring to the "tang"....I am getting a reading of 22mm.

What i'm confused about, is that doing some research i am seeing some people say to measure to the top (or I guess its bottom, since the carb is upside down) of the floats.....if that is the case, then my floats are way off!

Which is correct? measure from gasket to tang? or gasket to top of the floats?

So from all i've researched, and this youtube video....

It looks like the previous owner had measured from where the gasket would be-to-the tang. That shows as 22mm. Of course....When measured from bottom-to-the-round part of the float. It reads as 32mm.....

Guess its time to bend some tangs!

So from all i've researched, and this youtube video....

It looks like the previous owner had measured from where the gasket would be-to-the tang. That shows as 22mm. Of course....When measured from bottom-to-the-round part of the float. It reads as 32mm.....

Guess its time to bend some tangs!

At this point, i feel like something might be off....I'm trying to get the highest rounded part of the float down to 22mm. However I feel like i'm bending it pretty significantly. the float actually have touched the bottom (or should I say top, since its upside down) of the carb body.
I've only worked on 1 side so far. So I'm comparing the difference with the other untouched side. Looks drastically difference.

Can I get some confirmation that this is correct?

this thread is the only thing really giving me confidence that this might be ok.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4302

my floats are plastic, but they are entirely round, not the other kind that has a squared part...

I took the spring out from underneeth the tang, but put the the pivot pin in just to see how low it would go. Lowest It goes before it touches the float is 25.5mm....

This doesn't make any sense....

the bike is a 1980 XS650SG.....but it has plastic floats? from what I read the plastic floats were present in 81 and above.....So does that mean the previous owner put in aftermarket floats? if thats the case then the which height should it be set too?

this is literally the last thing that is preventing me from finishing reassembling the carbs..

Can I get some confirmation that this is correct?

this thread is the only thing really giving me confidence that this might be ok.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4302

Yep, 5Twins has it nailed. You may have an '81 or the floats have been changed. Shouldn't be an issue as long as any changed floats are the proper ones. Looking at the pic you can see the tang and the slight bend.
Can you get a pic of what you have going on there?

Unfortunately the camera on my phone is busted. so I can't get any pics.

What would you all recommend I end up doing? Like I said, the lowest I can get it down is 25.5mm....

I'm a newb but if they are aftermarket replacements of the brass floats you could maybe try the brass float height and use the test with a tube connected to the drain to see if its way off. When I rebuilt the carbs on my '81 the float only needed very minor adjustment.

Its a possibility. That might be the best (or even...only) solution with this situation.

One thing I want to point out, is that there was a time when this bike did run. And I witnessed it. It ran great....or at least my impression was that it ran great. And it ran with these floats too.

I might even just try to keep these floats at the original height they we're at. And tune/sync them to that

I feel so funny about saying anything without seeing a picture of what you are doing.

Here's the "foam float" specs. and some other BS34 related pics.

Aw crap I'm shooting from the hip can't remember for sure I have these specs right for foam floats........

650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

G carb specs.JPG

G float height setting.JPG

bs34floatvalve.jpg

Bs34jet (1).jpg

BS34Jet.jpg

Yeah, it would be way easier if I could take a picture : /

So here is how I best can describe it....in order...

-Finished up cleaning the carb, reassembling everything. Adjusting the float height is now the very last thing before i'm done, before I start tuning it.

-The floats is the only thing that seems off. Everything else on/in the carbs is where they should be, according to the manuals.

-After much researching, both the float height, and the floats themselves looks off/weird. The bike is a 1980, but has plastic floats....When googling "XS650 plastic floats", there is not a single image that looks like my floats......This is the closest thing that looks like mine...

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mA7XWN5h4zhnhrgb1fcWGdw.jpg

-The tang height, is right on at 22mm. I thought the tang was the original measuring point, but later found that it was the highest curve of the float itself. With that, i measured and came around 35mm......

-Gradually bending the tang, I realized I would have to bend it significantly. I took out the spring/needle that is underneath the tang, and put the pivot pin back in.....just to see how low it could go...........it now touches the bottom (or since it is upside down, it would be the top) of the carb itself. And still measures at 25mm (3mm to go).

-This leads me to believe that these floats are from a different bike/make/model. Because they simply are too large.

-Lastly, I have seen this bike run at one time. My impression when I saw it and rode it was that it was fine. However, I've never owned any other XS650, let alone one that was properly set up.....

-Where should I go from here? I probably am just going to buy some actual xs650 floats.......but since the bike has run with these current floats, I might keep them? idk, all recommendations/help is appreciated.

The floats in your pic are from "older" VM series carbs. they slid up and down on posts they don't pivot.

I'll go shoot up a BS34 foam float be back in a bit.

Back