Basic Wiring Diagram, 79 with Pamco Ignition

pa-powerstroke

On The Edge
Reaction score
Bought a bobbed 79 xs650 special about 2 weeks ago. Ive been working on making it right so I can get it on the road for summer. I need a speedo cable and new rear master cylinder. Other than that it all comes down to the rat nest wiring, I have found audio cable used in some places. So I need some help, I need a basic diagram to go from, Im going to use the fuse panel I have now and tuck away the regulator/rectifier, ignition, and so on. Can anybody give me a hand here?

Bought a bobbed 79 xs650 special about 2 weeks ago. Ive been working on making it right so I can get it on the road for summer. I need a speedo cable and new rear master cylinder. Other than that it all comes down to the rat nest wiring, I have found audio cable used in some places. So I need some help, I need a basic diagram to go from, Im going to use the fuse panel I have now and tuck away the regulator/rectifier, ignition, and so on. Can anybody give me a hand here?

Here's a link from the "Tech" section,that will work for you:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

Look at post #6, labelled "oem alternator and pamco and starter". Replace the 10 amp fuse with a 7.5 amp fuse on the power feed to the ignition/pamco. Don't use those old oem fuse panels (glass fuses). They will cause problems. Use some new automotive (blade type) in line fuse holders. You can use #16 gauge wire for most wiring. I prefer #14 gauge for the battery feed to the main 20 amp fuse, from the main fuse to the ignition switch, and from ignition switch to the fuse panel. You can use #18 gauge for the wiring going to the Pamco.

I might add that "tucking away the regulator/ rectifier" isn't a good idea. It gets warm, it needs to be out in the open with good air flow to keep from overheating.
Leo

wiring6.gif

I created this drawing with pamcopete's help. It is superior to most of the similar Pamco ignition wiring diagrams because it includes the horn and the neutral and gauge lights, it shows both brake light switches, and the fuse loads are well-divided. As much as possible, the color coding is the same as stock. The head light is intended to be operated by a 3-position ON/OFF/ON toggle switch that is mounted directly in the headlight bucket, but you can put it wherever you want.

DogBunny.....................well done on the diagram, very clear and covers the main items.:thumbsup: I believe Pamcopete recommends a 7.5 amp fuse for the power to the ignition.

That would be a good one to post to the "Wiring diagrams" in the "Tech" section.

That last diagram looks like a lot of help. It had 15 amp fuses in it and once in a while it would blow the one to the ignition and also the one to the brake light and turn signals. I dont know what the problem is, must be a short somewhere so Im going to do it right.

rg, thanks. There are a few minor changes I'd like to make to that drawing. However, it has been copied to several different servers, and if I changed the original it would not change any of the copies on the other servers, all of which get a lot more traffic than the copy I put up on my host server.

pamcopete green-lighted this one when I made it a few years ago. His subsequent 7.5 amp ignition fuse recommendation is more of a boast about how little power the Pamco consumes than a safety issue, IMHO. Should a fault occur, a 7-1/2 amp fuse is going to blow a millisecond before a 10 amp fuse does. Fuse sizing is more about protecting the wiring, not the device, while still being big enough so that the device operates.
I buy 10 amp fuses in bulk. It is simpler to stock in the shop, and carry in the tool pouch, 2 sizes of fuse rather than 3.

pa-powerstroke, simplified wiring diagrams are so simple, and your wiring sounds so screwed up, that if you have any ability with wiring and soldering, you should just tear out the whole harness and use it as a source of wire, and do a total re-wire.

DogBunny;

Yes, I agree, the fuse size should protect the downstream wiring from over heating should a fault occur. Pamcopete uses very small gauge wires to his circuit board. I think they are #22 gauge or maybe even #24 gauge. His recommendation of a 7.5 amp fuse seems appropriate for that gauge wire.

Having said that, a 10 amp fuse will certainly get the job done as well.

Back