Basketcase vs Running Purchase

Bushyeyed1

Cafe Racer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here and future owner of a XS650. I have narrowed my purchase down to two bikes and I am hard pressed to decide which direction to go. First I have experience with rebuilding motorcycles and I have no problem with turning wrenches on my own. Secondly I plan on customizing the bike so it will never look like the original. I have narrowed down my choice to a cheap basket case 79' which appears to be a special in the picture. And a 80' with 18,000 miles that runs with new tires and only $300 more then the basket case. In my mind I would think the 80' is the better bike, but at the same time the 79' has more options I would prefer like the ignition, larger carb, and rear disc brake. Also the 79' has less mileage on it then 80'. I am swaying towards getting the basketcase just wanted to get some of yalls opinions.

Last edited:
If you're going to make it your own anyway, I'd go with the basket case. One of the XS' many virtues is how simple it is to work on. Add to that the plethora of aftermarket parts and the collective knowledge of XS650.com, it's hard to go wrong.

We will, of course, need pictures. Lots of pictures.

Oh...and WELCOME. (Rude of me not to start with that...)

Welcome to the website.
In my experience, basketcases often didn't get put together to form a running bike because there were a number of problems which challenged the previous owner, and could be expensive for you.
I would go for the running bike, and bring your test equipment to check out some basic functions such as the charging system.

+1 one on the runner.
Gary who is currently at about 15 hours into an easy wake up drill on an 81. I expect to double that before the first start attempt. Double will become triple. This is just engine run, not ready to test ride...... Though in general I'm not afraid of an XS650 motor if I can feel decent compression on both cylinders while slow kicking it.
The more I know, the longer the wakeup drill takes.

The runner is a known quantity, while the basket case may be missing some important bits. It came apart for a reason.
Items like the rear brake lever cam or the shouldered bolts for the centre stand just seem to disappear into thin air!

Mine started as a rolling basket, ended up needing a full rebuild as the engine was more worn than miles would indicate. I spent 1.5yrs modding and building before it ran.

Also do they both have a title? That can easily be worth paying an extra bit for.

I would consider each bike's history or back story if you can find it out. Was the basket case torn down because it broke down or just to build a custom? Is the runner barely running and all clapped out, needing a full rebuild anyway? Both of mine were non-runners but that made them cheap (free and $200). One was a perfectly good running bike that was parked simply because the clutch cable broke. The other was parked because it had charging issues. Both had been sitting for quite a few years so required the "wake-up" drill. But these are old bikes, they all need a good going through, even the runners. Most usually require some topend work too (front cam chain guide), if not immediately then within a few seasons of getting them running. After that then they're probably good again for another 10 to 30 years, lol.

Mine started as a rolling basket, ended up needing a full rebuild as the engine was more worn than miles would indicate. I spent 1.5yrs modding and building before it ran.

Also do they both have a title? That can easily be worth paying an extra bit for.
Yes the basket case has a title and only a little under 9000 miles supposedly. The way I see it at least since the engine is apart other than the crankcase split I can get a real good look at the engine, bearings, seals, and such. Something that would be hard to do on the running one. Not sure they would want me to run a compression test and check ignition nor would I after I drive 400 miles to pick it up on the runner. The guy did say I could ride it back, but still makes me wonder why its been for sale so long.

Last edited:
My question is about the price, you mentioned only that the running bike is $300 more. Well that leaves out one of the key bits of information for me.

What is the actual price for each? To me it makes a bit of difference if the runner is $1,800 and the basket case is $1,500 or on the other hand the The basket case is $50 and the runner is $350. If the latter was the case then I would say buy both!

Also might be interested in knowing how much in the line of modifications you are planning and the condition of the parts you would consider as surplus parts that could be sold to help finance the project. Say you are planning on going with an aftermarket or custom two into one exhaust and one of these bikes have a near perfect stock exhaust that someone might make a good offer on it could keep the project budget a little better.

This is a pretty popular bike so unless the asking price is way out of line for the condition, they usually go pretty quick. I would be leery of that running one that hasn't sold for a long time too. One guy's definition of "good condition" can differ greatly from yours or mine, lol.

One guy's definition of "good condition" can differ greatly from yours or mine, lol.
Yeah... 'bout 6mo. ago I bought a set of Special mufflers that were in "good condition." They looked good in the pics. Little did I realize that "good condition" included gaping rust holes that were conveniently excluded in the pics. Shame on me for taking a man at his word....
Given the choice, I'd prefer the runner.... but proceed with caution.

Yeah... 'bout 6mo. ago I bought a set of Special mufflers that were in "good condition." They looked good in the pics. Little did I realize that "good condition" included gaping rust holes that were conveniently excluded in the pics. Shame on me for taking a man at his word....
Hey I have a set of pipes off the 1983 I could probably take some pictures of and if I frame them just right and adjust the focus a bit to get it a little fuzzy they might look good. Just don't ask me to move my hand that is covering the patch welded over the rust hole! The baffles only rattle in the right one at idle! Make offer, NO not where I can put them I'm not due for the next colonoscopy for another three years!

Shame on me for taking a man at his word
Just don't ask me to move my hand that is covering the patch welded over the rust hole!
After dealing with with guys for 50 years who sell off their used and broken vehicles, I too have unfortunately become quite cynical about claims made by sellers.:(
Such false claims (and the experience of being ripped off) actually were one of the main reasons I learned to diagnose and work on bikes and cars.

EASY .................buy them both!, especially if you prefer the runner, for $300 you can swap out the new tires, ignition, carbs and discs you want and still have a hole bike as spares, or second build or to sell !

My question is about the price, you mentioned only that the running bike is $300 more. Well that leaves out one of the key bits of information for me.

What is the actual price for each? To me it makes a bit of difference if the runner is $1,800 and the basket case is $1,500 or on the other hand the The basket case is $50 and the runner is $350. If the latter was the case then I would say buy both!

Also might be interested in knowing how much in the line of modifications you are planning and the condition of the parts you would consider as surplus parts that could be sold to help finance the project. Say you are planning on going with an aftermarket or custom two into one exhaust and one of these bikes have a near perfect stock exhaust that someone might make a good offer on it could keep the project budget a little better.

Kshansen; The runner I talked the guy down to $800 and it has been listed at $1200 since July. The Basketcase the lowest the dude would take is $500; which is fair to me considering with a title I could at a minimum sell the good parts and make my money back. I can imagine spending anywhere from a grand or two for mods. I have made a list of the parts I want and while the engine is apart a few upgrades.

JimD54 unfortunately until I see either one of these they both look okay in the pics, but neither are taken by a professional photographer. So in the case of the basket case at least I know I'm probably getting junk that someone couldn't figure out how to start. If I get the runner who knows if this person is being fraudulent or he really just wants to get rid of the bike.

EASY .................buy them both!, especially if you prefer the runner, for $300 you can swap out the new tires, ignition, carbs and discs you want and still have a hole bike as spares, or second build or to sell !

The Tin Man, I would buy the both, but I think my old lady would flip since I already have one project bike in my shed. Yes I said shed, lol. It is big enough for the two Bikes since one is a 71' mini endudo, but not for two grown up bikes. I guess if all else fails I can evidently buy a cheap running no title bike if I don't succeed on ladder.

Thanks for all the good advice I am really please with this forum already. The last forum I joined no one wanted to post comments. I am not jumping the gun since I am out of the area to pick either one up yet so I still got a month to see if they get rid of them before I can even pick them up. Also I have already asked the basketcase guy for more photo mostly of the crankcase and frame. The runner bike I will wait until closer to maybe getting it and ask for a video of him cold starting it.

Back