Basketcase vs Running Purchase

By your post i see...........79 has mag wheels and the 80 has spoke wheels..........If the 80 Has the spoke wheels then they both would look the same side by side.

Getting the vin no's is important for the 79 and 80's due to a lot of changes from 79 to 80........and the production date crosses over from one year to the next. A 10/79 would be an 80 and a 6/79 would be a 79, 10/78 would be a 79.......

Usual rule of thumb is Aug is the start of the year production run to July the next........There is a caution however as sometimes the model run has been known to run over by a month or 2. Then the vin no is used for the true model of the bike........

Add to the confusion 79 had 3 models, (79F, 79SF, 79SII), and 80 had 2, 80SG, 80G SII), and the 80G SII model' looked exactly like the 79SII with the change in the ignition and carbs being the main differences

Confused........

Kshansen; The runner I talked the guy down to $800 and it has been listed at $1200 since July. The Basketcase the lowest the dude would take is $500; which is fair to me considering with a title I could at a minimum sell the good parts and make my money back. I can imagine spending anywhere from a grand or two for mods. I have made a list of the parts I want and while the engine is apart a few upgrades.

JimD54 unfortunately until I see either one of these they both look okay in the pics, but neither are taken by a professional photographer. So in the case of the basket case at least I know I'm probably getting junk that someone couldn't figure out how to start. If I get the runner who knows if this person is being fraudulent or he really just wants to get rid of the bike.

The Tin Man, I would buy the both, but I think my old lady would flip since I already have one project bike in my shed. Yes I said shed, lol. It is big enough for the two Bikes since one is a 71' mini endudo, but not for two grown up bikes. I guess if all else fails I can evidently buy a cheap running no title bike if I don't succeed on ladder.

Thanks for all the good advice I am really please with this forum already. The last forum I joined no one wanted to post comments. I am not jumping the gun since I am out of the area to pick either one up yet so I still got a month to see if they get rid of them before I can even pick them up. Also I have already asked the basketcase guy for more photo mostly of the crankcase and frame. The runner bike I will wait until closer to maybe getting it and ask for a video of him cold starting it.
Busheyed,

You are clearly taking a thoughtful, measured approached approach to this purchase. Congrats.

Yes, it is astonishing what great response one gets to a posting at this website ! I have a varied collection of bikes, so I've posted to a number of sites, and have so far found nothing at all to compare to XS650.com.

I can imagine spending anywhere from a grand or two for mods.

Man o man did I ever hear that before lol from ME! Even as a runner all depends on what you want to do the deeper you get into it, the more its gonna cost. All in all i wouldnt change a thing. Start a thread when you buy either one. We are all intrigued! :yikes:

Bushyeyed1,
"Basketcase"? Maybe this will help you decide: read my tale of woe. Put "The Basketcase" Episode I : A Slow-motion Build in the search window. If your "basketcase" looks anything like my "Basketcase" (the bike's real name, by the way), buy the runner. :laughing: I love a challenge. :wtf: And pain. :banghead: And throwing my money away. :whistle: Guaranteed to make you learn skills you never knew existed :cussing:using tools you never knew the names of :yikes: , and taking up all the time you were going to spend doing all those things around the house your wife asked you to do instead. :shrug: Did I mention this would be a tale of woe?

Bushyeyed1,
"Basketcase"? Maybe this will help you decide: read my tale of woe. Put "The Basketcase" Episode I : A Slow-motion Build in the search window. If your "basketcase" looks anything like my "Basketcase" (the bike's real name, by the way), buy the runner. :laughing: I love a challenge. :wtf: And pain. :banghead: And throwing my money away. :whistle: Guaranteed to make you learn skills you never knew existed :cussing:using tools you never knew the names of :yikes: , and taking up all the time you were going to spend doing all those things around the house your wife asked you to do instead. :shrug: Did I mention this would be a tale of woe?
This brings me out of the clouds for sure. Thanks for grounding me, but time will tell of course. I do know hughs hand builds is only a few hours away in NC maybe I could just go all out and get the full big bore rephased motha of xs650 builds and save some time. Of course I'll be saving my paycheck for a while for that too.

It is all in your skill level and what you have access to. I have a 20t press, knee mill, lathe, and all sorts of hand tools, and my last job gave me access to a scrap bin with some pretty nice pieces in it. My $100 bike turned into about $4k. Without the scrap bin I'd add $500 or so to that, without the machine tools I would probably double or triple it. It really depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

It is all in your skill level and what you have access to. I have a 20t press, knee mill, lathe, and all sorts of hand tools, and my last job gave me access to a scrap bin with some pretty nice pieces in it. My $100 bike turned into about $4k. Without the scrap bin I'd add $500 or so to that, without the machine tools I would probably double or triple it. It really depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

Ratranger I enjoy a good project and I don't mind building up my tool collection in the process. Some of the tools I don't have yet, but would like to acquire them and the skills to using them. Even I know the basketcase is probably gonna cost me the difference in money just getting it up to the same level as the runner, but seeing a project through like that can be fulfilling.

Bushy,
About the only advantage I can see, starting with a basket case, is by the time you take it apart and put it back together again, you will know every nut & bolt, everything has been cleaned down to the bone, and you will have reassembled it using all the best stuff you can find. With the "how to's" on this site, it'll be better than the sum of its parts, and better than 'new'! And you will have the satisfaction of building it, instead of just buying, or having someone else build it for you (farming out miscellaneous stuff doesn't count!). Best of luck, keep us updated, and send pictures, pictures, pictures!

Bushy,
About the only advantage I can see, starting with a basket case, is by the time you take it apart and put it back together again, you will know every nut & bolt, everything has been cleaned down to the bone, and you will have reassembled it using all the best stuff you can find. With the "how to's" on this site, it'll be better than the sum of its parts, and better than 'new'! And you will have the satisfaction of building it, instead of just buying, or having someone else build it for you (farming out miscellaneous stuff doesn't count!). Best of luck, keep us updated, and send pictures, pictures, pictures!

59Tebo I think you hit the nail on the head with why I would rather get the basketcase. Getting intimate with you bike I guess can be a costly process. Either way I will let you know what happens with a thread and pictures. For the time being you can check out the link below of my current 71' Yamaha JT1 basketcase.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoafMgHnfGl/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

This is a tough one... personally, I'd figure out a way to get both...at $1300 for two--that's a good deal! That being said...I'd lean toward the runner so that at least you know the engine runs before you tear it down and build it back up. You'll get intimate with either bike if you're going to do any custom work.. that's a given. But with a running bike to start with, you have a little less to worry about, AND, if funds are a factor...you can focus on the cosmetics and enjoy the running engine for a season or two, get a feel for the bike, before you do any major work on it.

Believe me, when motivation starts to wane (and it will), hearing an engine running is a HUGE incentive to keep move forward. If your basket case is all in pieces, you may find yourself among the group of builders that don't ever finish their projects. Happens all the time...and unfortunately we see it often here in the forums. Not saying you aren't going to finish your project...I'm just saying it's easier to keep going when you have a running engine to start with.

Either way, good luck and post up some pics of the two..would love to see what you're considering to buy.

Here is a pic of the runner, but the pics of the basketcase aren't really that good. Right now I'm seeing if my old man could do me a solid and pick up the runner while I'm in Alabama. He has rode bikes and is a good one to take a look anyway. If he can't or bike sells then it maybe a basket case waiting to happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181030-115233.png
    Screenshot_20181030-115233.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
59Tebo I think you hit the nail on the head with why I would rather get the basketcase. Getting intimate with you bike I guess can be a costly process. Either way I will let you know what happens with a thread and pictures. For the time being you can check out the link below of my current 71' Yamaha JT1 basketcase.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoafMgHnfGl/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Hi Bushy and welcome,
you are right, what you pay to get the bike is as nothing compared to what it'll cost to get it on the road.
So buy the donor that's easiest to build into the bike you have in mind. Or buggrit, get 'em both.
Consider the vertical dimension for storing bulky items like frames, tanks & fenders, eh?

Based on that one pic, the runner is even more appealing. Looks almost complete, minus the front fender and chopped exhaust. But I like the spoke rims and drum rear brake...but that's just my personal preference. :)

Based on that one pic, the runner is even more appealing. Looks almost complete, minus the front fender and chopped exhaust. But I like the spoke rims and drum rear brake...but that's just my personal preference. :)

Brassneck he said he still had the front fender and the mufflers.

Hi Brassneck,
nah, I reckon those steel-rimmed wire wheels are ucking fugly and I prefer the cast wheels because they'll run tubeless and that's a huge convenience if you ever get a flat.
OTOH the mid '70s deep flange aluminum rim wire wheels are just plain beautiful if you don't mind keeping them clean and swapping nail-holed rear tubes under a bridge in the rain a long way from home.
And the good news is that as XS650 wheels swap just like LEGO you can build just what you like the look of best.

Hi Brassneck,
nah, I reckon those steel-rimmed wire wheels are ucking fugly and I prefer the cast wheels because they'll run tubeless and that's a huge convenience if you ever get a flat.
OTOH the mid '70s deep flange aluminum rim wire wheels are just plain beautiful if you don't mind keeping them clean and swapping nail-holed rear tubes under a bridge in the rain a long way from home.
And the good news is that as XS650 wheels swap just like LEGO you can build just what you like the look of best.

Well, can't argue with you there...swapping parts on the XS is super easy. I ditched the steel rims on my '79 special for some '78 Standard aluminum deep flange ones pretty much straight away as I was looking for a taller/thinner rear wheel for my cafe build. :)

Regarding the wire vs. cast rim debate...to each there own. In my opinion, getting a flat sucks regardless of the type of rim. Sure you can MAYBE plug the tubeless tire in a pinch and hobble home, or perhaps spray some fix-a-flat (which may work on a tubed tire just as well btw)....but if you're of sound mind, you're pulling the tire and replacing it shortly thereafter knowing a plug isn't the best idea on a motorcycle tire--at least I wouldn't trust it. And if you're pulling the tire, it's not all that much more work to get a new tube in there. :)

- - - In my opinion, getting a flat sucks regardless of the type of rim. Sure you can MAYBE plug the tubeless tire in a pinch and hobble home, or perhaps spray some fix-a-flat (which may work on a tubed tire just as well btw)....but if you're of sound mind, you're pulling the tire and replacing it shortly thereafter knowing a plug isn't the best idea on a motorcycle tire--at least I wouldn't trust it. And if you're pulling the tire, it's not all that much more work to get a new tube in there. :)

Hi Brassneck,
thing is, tubes have to be swapped or patched right there and then while a tubeless can be temporarily fixed without removing the wheel and limped home on.
I've swapped rear tubes at the side of the road and re-inflated the bastards with a hand pump and it ain't no fun at all.
And I've picked up a nail in a tubeless, temporarily sealed and re-inflated it with a can of tire slime and fixed it properly later in the comfort of my own garage.
I've also been passenger in a sidecar rig that found a nail with it's tube tired sidecar wheel.
Thing is you can ride a rig with a flat sidecar tire but not if the sidecar has a fat old man in it.
So we went into Walmart and bought a can of tire slime. And NO. Trust me in this, It DON'T work to fix blown tubes.
Tried slithering on in a sea of slime to no avail nor was there anywhere handy to buy a new tube.
A kind lady drove us back to the campsite, told us all about her son's Harley and wouldn't take any gas money.

Back