Basketcase vs Running Purchase

I prefer the cast wheel the 79 basketcase has because its tubeless and has a rear brake caliper. Just personal preference and right now I still have no XS650 only a dream.
Yeah, it depends on what you like. Me personally, I like spokes. I like BS38 carbs. I feel it's always a good idea having two motorcycles whenever possible. Especially vintage. There's always something waiting to break or need adjusted on these. Have a parts bike. If you can. I know it's not possible for everyone.

So just an update I had the basket case seller send me more pics and I think for $500 it is a little more work then I would like to do for $500. It appears there is no cam chain guide which leads me to believe that is why the original owner took it apart. Other than that the engine parts appear to be available and in good condition. I am sure that most of the parts could even be cleaned up and sold for more then $500, but I am not looking to be a parts dealer. The front fender is missing and the rear is badly rusted (he said dirty). The seat is deteriorated and tires are dry rotted. It looks like it was outside for some time so it has rust on about 15% and the paint may hide more underneath. It is a shame because there is only a little over 8,000 miles on it. The only thing I can think of now with the basketcase would be to get another bike that either someone cut the frame and swap parts or a bike with no title and swap frames. However I am really hoping the running bike doesn't sale before I get back home.

So just an update I had the basket case seller send me more pics and I think for $500 it is a little more work then I would like to do for $500. It appears there is no cam chain guide which leads me to believe that is why the original owner took it apart. Other than that the engine parts appear to be available and in good condition. I am sure that most of the parts could even be cleaned up and sold for more then $500, but I am not looking to be a parts dealer. The front fender is missing and the rear is badly rusted (he said dirty). The seat is deteriorated and tires are dry rotted. It looks like it was outside for some time so it has rust on about 15% and the paint may hide more underneath. It is a shame because there is only a little over 8,000 miles on it. The only thing I can think of now with the basketcase would be to get another bike that either someone cut the frame and swap parts or a bike with no title and swap frames. However I am really hoping the running bike doesn't sale before I get back home.
Yeah of the cam chain guide is missing....who knows what else is going on. I'd put that in the parts bike category. These bikes are abundant and cheap. Be patient and you'll come across a good one. I bought a 79' a few years ago with 4K miles. It was mint! I gave $600. No title was the only downside.

Unless you know the person selling the basket of parts, you are heading in there blind. Best to know what your knowledge/skills are before getting too deep into it and selling the basket case into multiple baskets of parts and even getting less that you will invest. Runner all the way if you can get to it in time.

Well that looks promising. :)
FYI... these bikes won't start with a dead battery. Might suspect the electric start.

Yeah Jim I kinda figured that may be the issue. I'll just upgrade the whole ignition, alternator, and anything else electrical probably. I just am glad it isn't rusted and runs. The rest is just fine tuning and making it the bike I can be happy with for a long time.

Last edited:
IT'S ALIVE !!! :woowoo: Basket case or runner? In this (basket) case, the runner looks like a helluva lot less aggravation, and by far the better deal. Maybe offer the owner of the basket case $200.00 for it. I only paid $200.00 for two of my basket cases ($50.00 for the other!) and they were 99% complete...

IT'S ALIVE !!! :woowoo: Basket case or runner? In this (basket) case, the runner looks like a helluva lot less aggravation, and by far the better deal. Maybe offer the owner of the basket case $200.00 for it. I only paid $200.00 for two of my basket cases ($50.00 for the other!) and they were 99% complete...

59Tebo, I tried talking the basketcase down to $400 initially and he said he wouldn't go lower then $500. Maybe he will change his mind, but the condition of the basketcase itself yields too much work for $400 to me. I am pretty confident with the running bike I can get it to where I want it mechanically and aesthetically with a mixer of used and new parts.

Well, Bushy, if he finds a sucker (I mean buyer) at $500, good for him. Maybe the sucker (I mean buyer) has pockets deep enough...
Keep your eyes peeled, though, another basket case may present itself for a more reasonable price, giving you a plethora of spare parts.

Well that looks promising. :)
FYI... these bikes won't start with a dead battery. Might suspect the electric start.
True but a sick or weak battery will still operate the ignition system enough to let you kick start it, or at least the undersized and very weak battery I put in my `78 did.

Back