Battery box (XS650 Rubik's Cube) Removal

pumps

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
The bike is in pieces and parts cost money that I'm a little short on right now. But I can still do some cleaning and painting. I had pulled off my rectifier to test it and that old battery corroded battery box spoke to me and said "Paint me". Ok so the airboxes on both sides have to be removed. All the electrical components that hang off have to be removed too. Some have said to remove the rear wheel and inner rear fender but I just removed the inner fender. I quote from some more experienced members here. I remembered seeing a post how to get this thing out on 650rider and took a bit to find it. From Barb:
"The tops of the battery box are cut away on the left and right sides---if you rotate the box 90 degrees clockwise, and tip it back down and to the left, those cutaways allow you to easily lift the thing right out of the frame."

I pulled it out the left side myself but after fiddling with it for 20 minutes:banghead: before I came and did a search , that did the trick in 2 minutes.:doh::thumbsup:

Great one pumps! I find this thread in the waning hours of wakefulness. Must have spent close to an hour trying to work that chinese puzzle out of its confines to where I eventualy dropped the rear wheel and removed the mud fender to slip it right out the back door. You can be guaranteed I'll try Barbs method when the '77's comes out and this '80 goes in its sted. Bugger!

Back