Battery is being overcharged..

I don't like Bob's way and I see no mistreatment here. If there's a disagreement, state so. If you think you have a better way to do something, say so. If you think something is BS, speak now and never hold your peace. This is a busy time of the season for asking for help and giving help, cheerleaders can get in the way of progress.

Scott

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying. Some folk come on here once in a blue moon simply to ask for help. often they contribute nothing themselves or visit the forum unless they have a problem. They ask questions that seem obvious to us ............and then go and completely ignore our advice ! ??

It makes me damn cross sometimes too... but there is never any excuse for personal insults or ridicule or belittling someone simply because they are not as smart or experienced as us.

I get cross and lose my cool sometimes too but I hope I never make it personal.

I see no mistreatment here.
This is a busy time of the season for asking for help and getting help, cheerleaders can get in the way of progress.

Scott
nothing wrong with pointing out errors and mistakes Scott but that is not what we are discussing here .........as well you know.;)
We are raising the issue of making personal attacks on other members . Deliberately humiliating, ridiculing, criticising, embarrasing and generally making others feel small is not acceptable behaviour on any civilised forum.
Supporting those that perpetuate that behaviour is no better.

Honestly I couldn't even choke down a SKIM read of this thread. just found it now.
Something about the original premise of this thread smells.
It's an MC forum, by choice and concensus a minimally moderated forum.
newbies piss off old timers by not reading before posting, not following trouble shooting advice and, and, and
oldtimers piss off newbies by popping their bubble, pointing out stupid moves, etc etc.
And we all have fun stirring the pot.
Would like to see a pic of all those boxes of "completely failed parts" I suspect gggGarys shed of ill repute would find several full good systems worth of electric parts in that box, if it exists.
(putting my money where my mouth is I'll pay shipping, maybe even split the profits!)
Are there any pics of the OP's machine?

I haven't noticed posters being ridiculed for being unintelligent or uninformed. I have seen (and made) many sharp comments directed to the self-absorbed who hold the belief that information should be served up on demand, that they should not be put to the trouble of exploring the board and looking for what is already available, that the very same words have more meaning when addressed to themselves personally than when those words occur in a publicly available document, and that they should not have the responsibility of deciding for themselves what advice is credible and what is not. I have complete respect for a guy who's not real sharp and does his best to understand and to help himself, but needs some extra guidance. I'll work with that guy all day and thank him for the privilege to do so. But the guy who thinks it's more trouble for him to look around than it is for others to rewrite what's already there, asked and answered more times than you can count? All he'll get from me is an invitation to extract his head from the nether darkness.

As I said back on page 1, the OP's story is amazing. So amazing in fact, that its really unbelievable. I wonder if this is Yamaha77 or YamYam or whatever alias he is using these days. Is this another sociopath or maybe the same one??

well i can't argue with much of that I confess.

I sometimes think that this forum is a victim of its own success.

There is a huge amount of information and technical advice here if you can only find it. As a nOOb it must be incredibly frustrating wading through 15-25 pages of a post in a single thread to glean a little information.
This forum really could benefit from a little extra organisation.... extracting and collating techy stuff and producing more technical guides. it would be a huge amount of work but it would benefit thousands of visitors and members

peanut that is both true and not so much true.
I am finding many examples of the same question posted here, and on multiple facebook XS650 sites, ALL at the same time. The poster has the skills and gumption to find and flood all of these resources with the same trivial help poor me crap, when a google search would have easily found the answers for his problem. This forum IS huge anymore, even with fairly religious visits and reading, I miss a lot, especially if I am off the couch and DOING something for a few hours or GASP! days. It's not just us it's common, the forum today is the old neighbor, parts counter of the motorcycle dealer, or small repair shop of yore. Lord knows it took me a while to learn how to ask questions that didn't get me chased out of the building by thrown tools! I still laugh about advice I got that seemed inane only to realize three days and some busted knuckles later how wise it was.

what are we to do Gary ? obviously the forum members are keen to help other owners with their bike problems but there will inevitably be those that have absolutely no mechanical or electrical skills whatsoever. They have probably ridden a desk all their working life and now they wish to dabble with classic bikes and learn to service and repair their bikes either out of interest or financial reasons.

Some posters are incredibly 'dim'.(sorry I couldn't find another suitable adjective ), clearly have no mechanical or electrical aptitude and find it difficult to even follow simple instructions or advice. Should we just tell them to buy a modern reliable bike and get it serviced at the local dealership.
I don't know the answer ......but my principles will never tolerate personal attacks made on others

I don't like anything smacking of an ab homenem attack either. But I don't often speak up you guys are free to start those wars if you wish. best if it's taken out of the original thread either in a separate thread or privately.
Perhaps a wall of shame thread in the lounge? post up in quotes, particularly inappropriate blasts? prolly no additional comments needed ;)

There is a huge amount of information and technical advice here if you can only find it. As a nOOb it must be incredibly frustrating wading through 15-25 pages of a post in a single thread to glean a little information.

This...most definetly agree. I don't ask many questions cause you guys have already covered everything in depth with technical data for the 50 ppl before me. Comes down to how good you can keyword search and then parking yourself to read through results taking the time to really understand what's there - for me that often means pen/paper when going back to the garage

Gotta say though to the tenured folks here, I applaud your patience with new folks and posts. To invest so much time in thread with detailed information, back and forth conversations only to have the OP disappear on responses - would get under my skin as well with repeat behavior. This doesnt happen all the time but it's certainly present. You guys are gold and hold in there.

IMO - gotta remember the "newer" generation picking up these machines now. Look at the FB page for the forums as a prime example - looking for quick answers to complex questions - aka the silver platter. Nothing on the FB page hasn't already been answered here in detail with full pictures. It's a whole other outlet to hopefully get folks over to the forums and reading what's already available at your finger tips.

Lending a hand with good intent is commendable.
Lending a hand to later have your arm ripped off and beaten over the head with is foolish.
How do you discern? Usually a couple of posts will give one a heads up to the character behind the keyboard.
Woe to those that get sucked into private messaging system repair to those of that character. There is benefit to above board forum peer review which may include the barbs........and the fix.
You can lead a Sunday mechanic to fix his bike but you can't make him turn the wrench.....or prevent him from snapping the bolt when he does......unless you do all the work for him.

that's a great idea Gary !
Peanut : I'm with you How the ...... are we supposed to Not get involved when we see crap like that ? it doesn't matter if it's justified or not
that kind of behaviour shouldn't be here..... it hurts the forum very much !
But... that's how it's set up ......... that's my complaint ! no police force means this shit will continue ! .....
our socioty has a Police force for a reason.... members of the general public cannot behave...... without it we would be over ran by those that won't behave..... the forum is NO DIFFERENT.... without a police force this stuff will continue....
if it means Getting rid of the Old seasoned mechanics then so be it... there are plunty of good mechanics here we'll survive ! but Order Must be controled because they cannot be maintained..... it's a nessarry evil..... but nessarry none the less.
Bob.....

Last edited:
Yeah, Bob, I see your point: If you got rid of the "Old seasoned mechanics" who made this forum the resource that it is, you could post all the erroneous technical information you want with an air of great confidence, and nobody would embarrass you with a correction! It's up to you to find a fit here. It's not our job please you.

best if it's taken out of the original thread either in a separate thread or privately.
Perhaps a wall of shame thread in the lounge? post up in quotes, particularly inappropriate blasts? prolly no additional comments needed ;)

Might it not be a good idea Gary to remove all the non topical posts from this thread so that just helpful information remains for both the OP and future searchers.?
I think everything that needed to be said has now been said and it has added nothing to the thread of any consequence .

Griz .... take a flying leap at the moon eh ?
I don't care what you say or how you say it you grumpy old fart ! you just want to argue ...so talk to yourself !
Bob......

Might it not be a good idea Gary to remove all the non topical posts from this thread so that just helpful information remains for both the OP and future searchers.?
I think everything that needed to be said has now been said and it has added nothing to the thread of any consequence .
bbbbbbbbbbBut there'd be nothing left!
At a glance I didn't see a single thing in the whole darned thread that hasn't been covered before and better. So who cares?
Peanut, Bob; Sorry not going there, I don't get paid enough........ Remember it's a FREE forum you's takes it or you's leave Don't matter to us. I've probably met 40 or 50 members of this forum so far, was glad to meet all of them. And there's a fair number more I'd like to catch with one day soon. Face to face I could probably even get along with finger boy. (remember him?) I STILL miss Teebs, king of the asshats. Now there was guy that could punch your nose and make you laugh through the blood.

Yes, lets triple Gary's moderator wage and that will motivate him to spend more time sorting out all the crap in these thousands of threads. Of course the site could no longer be free. We would all have to pay maybe $100 per year to be a member. Oh, wait a minute,
3 times nothing is still nothing!

Well, we could take up a collection and pass the hat so to speak....... just a thought ! after all Eyestrain does have it's price !
LOL
Bob.....

Back