Battery Reccomendations?

Jpwhit1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my 78. I bought a sealed battery a few months ago that I thought matched up with the original but didn't seem to have enough juice, starter was working to hard. Also, does size matter? Can you buy a smaller bodied battery with more juice?

Happy Friday!

FWIW, my first XS650 sidecar rig ran a big ol' car battery (45AH vs the stock battery's 14AH) and all the hesitant starting problems just disappeared.

Last edited:
were the hell did you put a car battery on your rig? did the passenger sit on it?

Hi angus,
between the chair and the bike, inside a Canadian Tire marine battery box like so:-

rearstep.jpg

The photo shows the sidecar mounted to my XS11 but it's the same as when it was on my XS650.
Most sidecarrists put a car battery behind the sidecar seat but there's Eff all for room there on that Spirit of America sidecar.

I use a sealed battery in three of my 5 bikes and I have had no problems with them. However, all of those bikes have a solid state regulator, which is very important with a sealed type battery or any of the more exotic batteries that are currently available. :thumbsup:

These more modern batteries do not take kindly to overcharging as some of them, like the sealed type, have plates that are spaced very close together, so the heat from overcharging can warp the plates to the point where the plates can short out and kill a cell. :eek: The mechanical (relay) type regulator that was stock on the '78 is not a good choice to use with a modern battery, for this reason. That regulator has the tendency to increase the battery voltage as it warms up at higher RPM's even when properly adjusted. :doh: The other common issue with our vintage bikes is poor contacts in the ignition switch which causes the battery voltage to also go high because the regulator is on the load side of the switch (brown wire) but the output from the rectifier is on the source side of the switch (red wire) where the battery is, so if there is a 1 Volt drop across the ignition switch, the regulator will still maintain the voltage on the brown wire but the red wire and battery voltage will be 1 Volt higher.

So, bottom line is, do not install a sealed battery or other exotic battery in your bike with a stock relay type regulator. :wtf: Now, some will chime in here and say that they have been running a sealed battery with their stock relay type regulator for years with no problem, and of course that can happen, if you are lucky. Like my friend who I haven't heard from for a while who used to play Russian roulette. :yikes:

FWIW, my first XS650 sidecar rig ran a big ol' car battery (450 AH vs the stock battery's 14AH) and all the hesitant starting problems just disappeared.

That battery, if it actually was 450AH, must at least have weighed 300 lbs.....
Actually, I don't think I ever saw a 12V starting battery larger than maybe 200-250 AH, and that would have been on a large truck or heavy construction machinery.

45AH would be a normal starting battery for a small 4-cyl car, 63-80AH for a medium sized 4 or 6-cyl car. Maybe 90-100 AH for a Toyota Hilux diesel pickup truck.

Hi arctic,
yeah, my typing finger slipped in a zero there. I fixed it.
I reckon that a bigger battery helps the E-starting by keeping it's voltage up to where the coil will still work when the starter is sucking all the juice out of it.

JpWhit1, for the e-start to work well you need a battery that can supply at least as much cranking amps as the stock battery. The stock size battey give between 180 and 210 cca's. If your sealed battery doesn't provide the cca's the starter wont work well.
Yes, they make batteries that are smaller physically than the stock battery but have more cca's. I had a Ballistic 8 cell battery. It had 240 cca's. weighed 1.7 lbs and is 4 7/16 inch long, 2 3/8 inches wide, 4 1/4 inches tall. It cost around $159.
I killed it by letting it get drawn to low and leaving it out in the extgreme cold.
I replaced it with a 12 cell version that weighs I think 2.4 lbs. and is the same size as the stock battery. They make a 12 cell that is smaller size. I got the bigger size so it fits the stock battery box. This battery has 360 cca's and cost $229.
Smaller is possible but it costs.
Leo

I recently bought a deka sealed. Bought from Tri State Battery and it was just under $70 shipped, but I'm in NJ. Pretty sure the model was etx15L. Same size as stock and has 220CCA. Lots of places sell them. I believe it's a U.S. Made battery, perhaps by Exide in PA.

Not sure how it would be with estart as I always kick it over.

Back