bloody big nut ...... stuck

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys well i,ve removed the 6 phillips head screws and the outer plate along with the clutch plates and the short shaft and ball... i,m having dramas getting the large hex nut off so i can get to the starter clip on 4th gear ..is the large nut left or right .. i,m open to advice i used the tool from mikesxs on the hub.. along with a rattle gun and got no movement .. regards oldbiker

So you're talking about the clutch hub nut? If so it's threaded normally. Give 'er hell! You'll probably destroy the holder tool in the process though. Then you'll have to make a new better one.

Yes, the single handled tool from Mike's can be a bit weak. A loop handle that will fit through and contact 2 slots in the hub works much better .....

ClutchHolder.jpg

Here is a clutch tool you can make yourself with no welding required. Best of all, you can even use the plate when you're finished installing the basket.

clutchtool.jpg

That's a heavy duty Stanley 'L" bracket. Install the two bolts with a nut in between the plate and the bracket so the plate will sit in the basket perfectly.

hi guys thanks for your advice.. your correct i stuffed the mikes flimsy clutch spanner... so i,m going to buy 3-4 new plates and make a double or tripple plated spanner.... ansd i tried getting it off with my 40lt. direct drive compressor which has not got a fast recovery so my pressure goes from 100psi to 80or less in a quick time...... i rang the ex president in australia last night ..and he said he,s never had dramas getting all of his off using a rattle gun ,, when my compressor drops to 75-80 from 100 i also lose about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the effect of the gun .. ,, i was tying with stuffing rags all over and using a battery dremmel and wheels to split the nut ,, ,,,i,m not beaten... yet regards oldbiker

I have cheap electric rattle gun. Cost about $40. Spun that nut right off.

Back