Blows starter fuse

Lucan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello
My '78 will start, runs and after a few minutes will blow the starter fuse. I can't find any shorts....any ideas?
Thanks

Which fuse? I don't believe there is a "starter" fuse. The main fuse?

There are four fuses, three 10a and one 20a, when this fuse blows, the only thing that doesnt' seem to work after that is the starter button. I thought the 20a was the main but I am not sure.

The ignition fuse is 10 amp It also feeds the starter button circuit, does the bike quit when the fuse blows? I am guessing it does. Could be many things but a wire that is grounding on a sharp edge somewhere is a common suspect.
Wiring diagram here

The starter relay and the headlights/meter lights share the same 10 amp fuse. You can try unplugging the headlight as a test. The lights in the speedo and tach could also cause a short circuit.

The headlight wiring is routed through the safety relay, reserve lighting device and the dimmer switch.....................so a short or a bare wire with any of these could cause your blown fuse. A little detective work and you will find it.

you can tell which fuse it is if the labels are missing. Red wire is main red/white is ignition Brown is signals red/yellow is headlight. RG is right the headlight fuse feeds the starter relay coil through all the safety relays and switches, the button grounds it.

Thanks for the help, I have a day off tomorrow and will look at this a little closer.

Thanks for the help, just reading this over and thinking about it, I think I have the 20a on the brown wires and the 10a's on the rest. I will switch the fuses around and see how that works. Hopefully that is it, although I have taken most things apart looking for a short.

Often when the lighting fuse blows the hot in the tail light is shorting to the body of the light. Next time it blows check your tail ligt, is it still lit?

Back