Boring gasket question

wideload

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I did the #4 starter gear fix last season. After a couple hundred miles, the right side cover gasket began leaking, so I am going to replace the gasket. While removing the original gasket from the cover (quite a PIA), I managed to put a few shallow scratches on the gasket surface. I know most people dont use gasket cement when reinstalling the cover, but I am wondering if it might be a good thing to do in light of the minor damage I inflicted to the cover. Thoughts - Three bond? Just fill the scratches, or cover the entire surface?

I used Hondabond to just fill a couple deeper gouges I made. I just smoothed over to fill them, flush with the gasket surface; like wood putty; and put the gasket on. It hasn't leaked. I can't say for sure if that did it, or the gasket alone would have been fine, but it's all good.

i just did this. i ran a fine bead of 1104 all around the gasket surface.
I hate putting that cover back on. the gears of the oil pump never mesh with the corresponding gear on the engine the first few times. grrrrr

I hate putting that cover back on. the gears of the oil pump never mesh with the corresponding gear on the engine the first few times. grrrrr

...Or, you mess up the kick start spring like I did the first time I pulled the cover. Seems like a simple chore, but inevitably there is some unexpected twist - that's half the fun most of the time.

Back